Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Runaway Inflation - Ski Goggle MSRP

Maybe i'm just getting old and curmudgeon-ey but sure as shit seems like retail pricing for optics is moving at 2x if not 3x that of ski gear in general.

Curious why. Chemical inputs for foam got supply constrained after last winter's Texas deep freeze and power outage but the face foam can only add so much to overall cost. I dont know the details but i'd always had wagered that goggles were one of the higher profit margin pieces of gear owed to the style/fashion aspect. Is the ski industry that flush with dentists that people routinely drop $200 + on soft goods that have an effective useful life of 3-4 years?

just seems like a very short while ago $125-$140 was retail for top of the line Smith I/O or Oakley. That seems to be pushing $300 bills now.

It is just a vanity/fashion thing? What am I missing?

Runaway Inflation - Ski Goggle MSRP

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    Maybe i'm just getting old and curmudgeon-ey but sure as shit seems like retail pricing for optics is moving at 2x if not 3x that of ski gear in general.

Curious why. Chemical inputs for foam got supply constrained after last winter's Texas deep freeze and power outage but the face foam can only add so much to overall cost. I dont know the details but i'd always had wagered that goggles were one of the higher profit margin pieces of gear owed to the style/fashion aspect. Is the ski industry that flush with dentists that people routinely drop $200 + on soft goods that have an effective useful life of 3-4 years?

just seems like a very short while ago $125-$140 was retail for top of the line Smith I/O or Oakley. That seems to be pushing $300 bills now.

It is just a vanity/fashion thing? What am I missing?
    I have noticed this as well. I have no idea but I suspect they chock it up to “improved lens technology” or some shit like that.
    Isn’t there a Giro guy on the board from time to time? I’d like to hear his input.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

I had this rant when goggles went from $35-50 up to $150.
    >>vibes<<
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I've noticed it as well. When you look at a company like 100 you can get goggles in the $60 to $120 range. I haven't tried them but it seems like an option next time I need goggles. The greater temperature difference between outside and inside could be an issue but even that isn't clear.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I've noticed it as well. When you look at a company like 100 you can get goggles in the $60 to $120 range. I haven't tried them but it seems like an option next time I need goggles. The greater temperature difference between outside and inside could be an issue but even that isn't clear.
    Clear some PMs. I got a question about that vest.

swing your fucking sword.

Google gives me reviews from a decade ago telling me list on a Smith I/O was $165, which feels right. What seems different now is the ability to get a discount off list.

^Yep, I bought my first pair of Smith I/O 10 years ago from this November and IIRC they were exactly that ($165). They were Smith’s flagship goggle at the time.

On their website the I/O is currently listed at $210 which I think is somewhat reasonable. However, their flagship product is now $320. And it probably costs the same amount to produce. Really, they just tweaked some dimensions and super glued magnets onto the lens and frame…

Evo has adult Smith googles for $22. Not top of the line but so what. I bet they keep snow out of your eyes just as well as the $320 ones.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

The eyewear industry historically has one of the fattest profit margins. Something stupid like ~60%. Combine that with the fact that you can get decent quality goggles with interchangeable/magnetic lenses on Amazon for under $50 makes you say Huh….

I know we are helping Alka and our other favorite athletes pay their mortgage with our goggle purchase but it’s still kinda ridiculous…

But supply and demand always wins… look at the lift line on a Saturday morning. Everyone has $200 on their face….

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Stage goggles kick ass, good quality, great customer service, and the price is hard to beat.
    https://www.stageideas.com/collections/goggles

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

After trying different lens tints I found some of the Amazon goggles were just as sharp and clear on storm days as my Smiths. So now my plan is to just recycle my Smith straps into cheap but optically decent goggles to preserve cred.

The markups are amusing.

Helmets and goggles never went on sale around town this past spring. Too much demand and not enough supply.

Maybe demand by medical workers?

Smith Squads can usually be had for around $60 on sale. This price is close to the cheap Chinese goggles, but the performance is on par with high end models (lens changing is a little clunky).

Put me in the cheap goggle camp. I’m sure there’s a benefit to them but there are too many expenses associated with this sport already. Count me out for $200 jackets too.

200? Pfffft.

My I/OX stash continues to hold value then?

Don’t TOUCH my goggles!

Wait for Costco to get winter stuff in stock in another month or two, and go get some Spy goggles for $39. I bought some last year and they're nice, comes with extra lens.

Or go with the Zionor and other random Amazon brand ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Stage goggles kick ass, good quality, great customer service, and the price is hard to beat.
    https://www.stageideas.com/collections/goggles

Looks like some decent product. What has your experience using them been like? I’m going to bookmark them to potentially get a pair here in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    Looks like some decent product. What has your experience using them been like? I’m going to bookmark them to potentially get a pair here in a few months.
    I have skied w/ two pairs for 4+ years w/o any problems. The field of view, lens quality and anti-fog is fine. AND they're cheap enough that I have a pair for sunny days, a low light pair and a couple back up lenses. The lens is not as "wow" as a Smith Chromapop, but at 1/5th price IDGAF.

Last edited by scmartin69; 09-18-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Maybe demand by medical workers?
    Or

https://www.festivalsherpa.com/can-h...-man-look/amp/

Outdoor Master on Amazon. Cheap and great quality.

TECH TALK JONG!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Smith Squads can usually be had for around $60 on sale. This price is close to the cheap Chinese goggles, but the performance is on par with high end models (lens changing is a little clunky).
    Another vote for the squad, i just buy multiple pairs and don't screw around with lens swaps. For truly wet storm days that also means I can swap to dry goggles at lunch.

It's fashion. Had the same issue with sunglasses for years. And eyeglass frames. Ridiculous what you have to pay for plastic easily molded in the third world. Cool has a premium.