Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Tea *usually* has less caffeine than coffee - but not dramatically so and sometimes it’s equivalent.

kinda illustrates how the actual caffeine in things is all over the map, with great variation based on underlying product and method of preparation. Even not all decaf coffees are the same. I’d suspect if you take mate like an Argentine you are getting more than 85mg of caffeine.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you decided to cut out caffeine on your own, this thread should have convinced you you don't need to. If your doctor suggested it, go talk to him about it with a print out of this thread and the links. Docs are very impressed by the medical advice on TGR.
    Hey hey now... there are some good studies from reputable organizations linked here. Did you look at them?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Call me.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Your number still 867-5309?

Your number still 867-5309?
    Changed it back to 606-0842
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Tea has a fraction of the caffeine coffee has
    LOL. Like an mtuhockey post in the covaxx thread.

I had to give up the coffee bean cold turkey after docs randomly discovered I was moderately allergic to it during testing for a bunch of other shit; I had been drinking a full press a day for at least 15 years. Explained my random hives and skin rashes over the years. I'm all about the tea now, caffeinated and decaf. I still keep a bag of fresh grind java in my pantry to sniff like it's a bag of weed when I'm really hard up.

So now on to try chicory root, as yerba mate on the daily was not good for my digestive system. I just ordered some of this Teeccino, reviews seem promising.

https://teeccino.com/products/french...39688675295401

The Mayo clinic's advice to eliminate it and then reintroduce it and see what happens to your BP seemed reasonable to me but hey you're the doc.
    Mayo Clinic's advice is good. (Although my grandmother went there in 1948 to have her gallbladder out because there was no hospital in Detroit good enough apparently. She wound up being there for 8 months with complications, which is why my parents were married in Rochester MN.)

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    In the past, I have had acid reflux and I just had my gall bladder removed. 4-5 weeks ago, I quit coffee (I regularly drank 3 double espressos/day) red meat, fried food, cheese, enriched flour, alcohol consumption and chocolate, cold turkey. Of course, I crave each of these things, but it's just not worth it........to be continued.
    What's wrong with cold turkey--low fat, doesn't cause reflux AFAIK.

The problem is that most of you don't know what you don't know.

You haven't undergone years of training and hands-on practice. Gleaning bits of medical information from even reputable web sites never gives the whole picture, and the more complex the issue, the more you'll miss because they don't devote the resources to discuss the interplay between the various systems (e.g., digestive and brain). And even if they did, you'd have a hard time putting all of into relevant perspective.

It's like whenever topic of obesity comes up here, and it has more than a few times over the years. I no longer comment because immediately the self-assured bozos come running out with their perceived "common sense understanding" of the syndrome:

"A calorie is a calorie!"

"BMI is fucking bullshit!"

"Expend more energy than you eat and lose weight!"

"Yahoo, I'm coocoo for Cocoa Puffs! Coocoo for Cocoa Puffs!

It doesn't work this way.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Cocoa puffs sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Cocoa puffs sound good.
    Doesn't work this way bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post

You haven't undergone years of training and hands-on practice. Gleaning bits of medical information from even reputable web sites never gives the whole picture, and the more complex the issue, the more you'll miss because they don't devote the resources to discuss the interplay between the various systems (e.g., digestive and brain). And even if they did, you'd have a hard time putting all of into relevant perspective.

It's like whenever topic of obesity comes up here, and it has more than a few times over the years. I no longer comment because immediately the self-assured bozos come running out with their perceived "common sense understanding" of the syndrome:

BMI doesnt work all that well for people who have either too much or too little muscle, so if either you are an olympic power lifter or a 70 yr old grandma with no muscle the BMI may not be useful but for the average person an MD can figure out pretty quick if you are overweight using your height & weight

the last guy who said " the BMI doesnt work for me " was i kid you not 100lbs over weight

do you have a paunch, it means you are probably overweight
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Then I won't tell you that I like to suck on them while I suds up.

Sour Cherry Pioneer Squares (Craft Elixers) are my favorite.
    Now you’ve done it!

Stop putting food in your mouth!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

embrace the ganj.

The coffee-blood pressure link is poorly understood but is generally transitory if it affects you at all. The advice on this Mayo clinic piece is straightforward: See if it affects you, then decide what to do. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/faq-20058543

Salt is another one where the BP link is somewhat unclear. Yeah too much salt is not a positive as it causes you to retain water and that raises BP but too little salt is also bad. And your system is pretty much self-regulating. Salt was demonized in the day but now it's much less so.

Too little potassium is a common problem that goes undiagnosed.

I have high BP, been taking meds since I was younger than you are now, turned out that salt, alcohol, nicotine and caffeine weren't the problem, they were all eliminated for periods of time and the high BP remained, it's called "Essential Hypertension" which means they don't have a clue, I just have high BP. So now I do what I do and take the meds and I'm fine. In the quest to lower my BP I lost quite a bit of weight, got more regularly active and adopted a better diet and that's all good stuff no matter how you slice it. It's one way to go at least.
    If you’re taking new patients I’d like to sign up

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    BMI doesnt work all that well for people...
    It's a tool used to evaluate populations, and it's useful when used for that purpose. It shouldn't be used to assess individuals. But that's how most seem to understand it.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Hey Woodsy...I made a big pot of White Chicken Chili tonight. Anaheims, poblanos, jalapenos lots and lots of capsaicin. I'm happy to share the recipe if you're interested.

It has been proven that consuming spicy foods from peppers that contain capsaicin can help lower blood pressure. Statistics show people who consume spicy food on a daily basis have a 14 percent lower risk of death, diabetes and cancer than people who consume it less than once a week.

It's a tool used to evaluate populations, and it's useful when used for that purpose. It shouldn't be used to assess individuals. But that's how most seem to understand it.
    whats your BMI and do you have a paunch, the party out front ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Hibiscus tea has 0 caffeine, and you can drink it hot or cold.

I'd rather apply leaches or take up blood-letting to reduce blood pressure, before I'l give up my daily mug from the mocha pot. My headache-induced grumpiness from caffeine withdrawal means I would have full support of family, friends, and coworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Hey Woodsy...I made a big pot of White Chicken Chili tonight. Anaheims, poblanos, jalapenos lots and lots of capsaicin. I'm happy to share the recipe if you're interested.

It has been proven that consuming spicy foods from peppers that contain capsaicin can help lower blood pressure. Statistics show people who consume spicy food on a daily basis have a 14 percent lower risk of death, diabetes and cancer than people who consume it less than once a week.
    I would like a link to this study. Spicy food or not, everyone’s risk of death is 100%…just depends on the timeline.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    In the past, I have had acid reflux and I just had my gall bladder removed. 4-5 weeks ago, I quit coffee (I regularly drank 3 double espressos/day) red meat, fried food, cheese, enriched flour, alcohol consumption and chocolate, cold turkey. Of course, I crave each of these things, but it's just not worth it........to be continued.
    I’ve got a gall stone the size of Texas that has knocked my bile production down to nil. I’ve opted out of surgery for now. If I’m eating a high fat meal, which is relatively often, I take Ox Bile. Works well to avoid the immediate discomfort and next day issues. You’re better off without the fried foods but meat and cheese are too good to live without.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I would like a link to this study. Spicy food or not, everyone’s risk of death is 100%…just depends on the timeline.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    There seem to be many.

Dietary Capsaicin Protects Cardiometabolic Organs from Dysfunction

This one indicates it is the resulting sensitivity to salt that causes lower consumption and thus lower BP:

Enjoyment of Spicy Flavor Enhances Central Salty-Taste Perception and Reduces Salt Intake and Blood Pressure
    Last edited by KQ; 10-03-2021 at 09:22 AM.

Lagunitas Hop Water - a NA seltzer with hop flavoring. Not a NA beer. Super tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA