Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Decaf coffee and 0% beer

So damn near 50 and for blood pressure reasons needed to end caffine and decrease booze. #olddudeforum
    Many of you know my dad had a serious stroke in his 50s (still cant swallow) so taking this shit seriously.

Now I used to laugh at folks that drank decaf coffee, whats the point? Well when ever other non caffeine laden beverage is full of sugar what are my choices?

Decaf tea harder to find. Would love some good suggestions there tho, hot and iced. Please include where to find.

Still have good beers on occasion but a few and then onto Heineken 0%. Cant drink NAIPAS or similar, to sweet.
    Same watching sports. Couple of Guiness/Modelos depending on the sport to start then onto fake beers.
    Yes also drinking ton of water and soda stream ( with bitter occasionally) but give me a drink to order when out.
    What am I missing (and seriously if its fermented and doesn't contain alcohol keep it to your self)

thats hard core!
    if you start this will be a battle for 3 month. like a cold turkey, after that it is easier to withstand.
    soda and lime/lemon

: ) i thought like cbd weed is missing for the no fun zone

I realize this is no help but we always called decaf the " kiss yer sister blend "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The easy go-to when abstaining and out is soda water with Peychaud's and a lemon twist. Fee Brothers uses glycerin if you're trying to omit all alcohol, DRAM out of Colorado does the same.

Tea, anything herbal or tisane will most likely be caffeine free. I'm a big fan of green rooibos, hibiscus, and orange peel. We buy lavender in bulk when it's in season to dry and use after dinner.
    Loose leaf is nice because you have more control if you want a little caffeine.

Shrubs made with good vinegar and fresh produce are the shit but you seem not into that sort of thing. Posting for posterity. Juiced fresh fruit or veg, vinegar, omit the sugar in your case. Some sort of sparkling beverage. I usually include bitters as well. We use Keepwell Vinegar because they are local and are a huge boon to local farmers.
    Last edited by ghosthop; 09-18-2021 at 10:34 AM.

I recently read a study that found coffee's blood pressure raising properties are less about caffeine and more about the many other components found in the bean meaning decaf won't save you. Also habitual coffee drinkers faired better with thier blood pressure than did occassional drinkers. If I can find that study I'll post it but here's a tidbit from Healthline:

Though coffee may increase your blood pressure temporarily right after drinking it, this effect doesn’t seem to extend far beyond the short term.

For people with high blood pressure, current research suggests that daily coffee consumption is unlikely to have a significant impact on blood pressure or overall risk of heart disease (2).

In fact, coffee may provide some health benefits.

For otherwise healthy people, research indicates that drinking 3–5 cups of coffee daily is linked to a 15% reduction in heart disease risk and a lower risk of premature death (3Trusted Source).

Coffee contains multiple bioactive compounds that are known to have strong antioxidant effects and may reduce oxidative stress in your body (4Trusted Source, 5Trusted Source).

Some researchers theorize that coffee’s health benefits may outweigh any potential negative effects that the caffeine could have on those who drink it regularly (2).

Still, more research is needed to better understand how coffee affects human health in the long term. For now, it appears to be perfectly safe and may even be a useful habit to have.

Here's some info with links to other articles: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19183744/
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I recently read a study that found coffee's blood pressure raising properties are less about caffeine and more about the many other components found in the bean meaning decaf won't save you. Also habitual coffee drinkers faired better with thier blood pressure than did occassional drinkers. If I can find that study I'll post it but here's a tidbit from Healthline:

Though coffee may increase your blood pressure temporarily right after drinking it, this effect doesn’t seem to extend far beyond the short term.

For people with high blood pressure, current research suggests that daily coffee consumption is unlikely to have a significant impact on blood pressure or overall risk of heart disease (2).

In fact, coffee may provide some health benefits.

For otherwise healthy people, research indicates that drinking 3–5 cups of coffee daily is linked to a 15% reduction in heart disease risk and a lower risk of premature death (3Trusted Source).

Coffee contains multiple bioactive compounds that are known to have strong antioxidant effects and may reduce oxidative stress in your body (4Trusted Source, 5Trusted Source).

Some researchers theorize that coffee’s health benefits may outweigh any potential negative effects that the caffeine could have on those who drink it regularly (2).

Still, more research is needed to better understand how coffee affects human health in the long term. For now, it appears to be perfectly safe and may even be a useful habit to have.

Here's some info with links to other articles: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19183744/
    Thanks
    May relook.
    Coffee was an easy out so I could still enjoy an occasional Manhattan. 😁
    Salt too.

Exercise is what I notice most moves needle on daily BP. Still would love more non boozy or caffeinated beverages

Take it you're not a kombucha fan?
    I like hibiscus flowers without the added sugar you get at the taco place. Or mint tea.

Lite salt seems like an easy one.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Take it you're not a kombucha fan?
    I like hibiscus flowers without the added sugar you get at the taco place. Or mint tea.
    Love me some hibiscus tea. Hibiscus Tea May Cut Blood Pressure

Don't forget the benefits of dark chocolate too!

Woodsy - go to the heart assoc. site for info on how to control BP through diet and exercise. I deal with it too. Unfortunately mine is stress induced. Weight is good, don't smoke, don't drink much alcohol or coffee and never eat fast food, snacks etc. I was a bit low on my leafy greens and cardio so I've upped those still my BP fluctuates. Somedays it's great others not so much (I take it daily). Out of curiosity I have increased my cannibis/cbd tinctures (indica based, formulated for stress reduction) and have seen it drop my BP to normal levels but as soon as I start stressing about something it pops back up.

Sleep is another important factor in lowering your BP which is something else I have issues with. This pandemic doesn't help much either.

I'm trying really hard to avoid taking meds. My doc prescribed me beta blockers but I told her I wanted to try reducing it naturally first.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    I don't drink coffee because it tastes like crap, but I'm with KQ that you might want to get a second opinion on whether or not it's harmful for you. There's plenty of evidence it benefits your prostate as well.

I'm no help with drink suggestions other than to say I drink nothing but water and club soda and I don't miss any flavored drinks. I will occasionally have an iced tea if I want to party. But if you need a morning pick-me-up, getting some light in your eyeballs and ten minutes exercise will do more to get you going and last far longer than a pot of tar water.

I'm sure that's probably the better of the maybe ok answers, possibly, or at least it could be. After coffee. But until that starts working for you or tgapp starts roasting some water processed, the best decaf coffee is Doma's Jackie-Oh! I believe you can order it but I'm pretty conflicted about whether you should. Maybe you should try the light in your eyes first. The Doma is kind of hard to come by.

ETA, Not maybe. You should definitely try the light first.

Don't forget to watch OTC meds. Advil will raise your BP as will some cold meds.

Spindrift seltzer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

They only made me crave the genuine article more. When I quit something addictive, I can't substitute something totally unleaded without just making it worse. Like, when I quit smoking cigarettes, it had to be legit nicotine gum, not regular gum while weening myself. For me there is zero point to drinking beer unless I am able to drink enough to FEEL it. Same with any alcohol. I have taste preferences but ultimately not drinking it for the taste alone. Taste is a distant second. I wouldn't turn down ANY alcohol beer if that was all that was available, Give me choices and ya, I'll pick my favorite, When I am not wanting any caffeine, I won't go with the caffeine free pop, I go with lemonade or soda water instead.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Spindrift seltzer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    ^^this is the answer

also woodsy sorry to hear, man, lmk if you want some decaf coffee and I'll roast up a few bags for you

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

There are non-alcoholic craft beers around these days that may be worth trying.

Zero Gravity, here in Burlington, launched Rescue Club Brewing. I’ve also heard Brooklyn Brewing, BrewDog, and Athletic Brewing have n/a offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    There are non-alcoholic craft beers around these days that may be worth trying.

Zero Gravity, here in Burlington, launched Rescue Club Brewing. I’ve also heard Brooklyn Brewing, BrewDog, and Athletic Brewing have n/a offerings.
    athletic is great, honestly. their stout tastes pretty awesome

Twinings makes a bunch of decaf teas. I drink them occasionally, plus lots of herbal tea. What herbal teas appeal to you is a personal thing, obviously.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

embrace the ganj.

The coffee-blood pressure link is poorly understood but is generally transitory if it affects you at all. The advice on this Mayo clinic piece is straightforward: See if it affects you, then decide what to do. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/faq-20058543

Salt is another one where the BP link is somewhat unclear. Yeah too much salt is not a positive as it causes you to retain water and that raises BP but too little salt is also bad. And your system is pretty much self-regulating. Salt was demonized in the day but now it's much less so.

Too little potassium is a common problem that goes undiagnosed.

I have high BP, been taking meds since I was younger than you are now, turned out that salt, alcohol, nicotine and caffeine weren't the problem, they were all eliminated for periods of time and the high BP remained, it's called "Essential Hypertension" which means they don't have a clue, I just have high BP. So now I do what I do and take the meds and I'm fine. In the quest to lower my BP I lost quite a bit of weight, got more regularly active and adopted a better diet and that's all good stuff no matter how you slice it. It's one way to go at least.

I drink decaf. It's not the same as the real thing. Amazing that you develop the ability to immediately detect the difference. Like Danna said, Twinnings makes some good decafs, but again, they don't have the same punch on the flavor profile as the caffeine versions.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    embrace the ganj.

The coffee-blood pressure link is poorly understood but is generally transitory if it affects you at all. The advice on this Mayo clinic piece is straightforward: See if it affects you, then decide what to do. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/faq-20058543

Salt is another one where the BP link is somewhat unclear. Yeah too much salt is not a positive as it causes you to retain water and that raises BP but too little salt is also bad. And your system is pretty much self-regulating. Salt was demonized in the day but now it's much less so.

Too little potassium is a common problem that goes undiagnosed.

I have high BP, been taking meds since I was younger than you are now, turned out that salt, alcohol, nicotine and caffeine weren't the problem, they were all eliminated for periods of time and the high BP remained, it's called "Essential Hypertension" which means they don't have a clue, I just have high BP. So now I do what I do and take the meds and I'm fine. In the quest to lower my BP I lost quite a bit of weight, got more regularly active and adopted a better diet and that's all good stuff no matter how you slice it. It's one way to go at least.
    Mayo has some great info on BP.

Ice - do your meds drop your BP to 120/80 or below? Just curious.

For potassium try adding Hemp seed to your diet. Bob's Red Mill makes a lovely product that is very tastey - great added to salads and cereals.

Hulled hemp seeds have superior nutritional benefits,making them one of nature's most perfect foods. Considered a complete protein, hemp seed delivers 5 grams of plant-based protein in a 2 Tbsp serving, making them a great addition to vegan and vegetarian diets. Hemp hearts are truly a super food, providing a perfect balance of plant-based protein and omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids in each serving. These fatty acids have many health benefits, including promoting heart health, lowering triglycerides, working to reduce inflammation, promoting brain health, and supporting the immune system. Low in carbohydrates, hemp seeds are ideal for those following the paleo diet or who need to be carb conscious for their health.

With a pleasant nut-like flavor and creamy texture, our hulled hemp seeds are a nutritious and delightful addition to hot cereal and smoothies. The light flavor of hemp protein allows it to blend easily into desserts, breads, pancakes, granola bars and other baked goods. Try hemp hearts sprinkled on salads and blended into pilafs: you’ll find hemp seeds to be a delightful, nutritious enhancement to almost any dish. Find recipes for hemp seeds under the recipe tab below.

Hemp seeds and marijuana come from the same species of plant, but different varieties and the similarities stop there. Hemp seeds do not contain THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the active substance in marijuana.

RE: Decaf.

I was having tendonitis from overuse as well as 3+ cups of strong coffee. A friend talked me into dropping the Decaf and although I didn't have a noticeable improvement in the Tendonitis I did notice that I was less prone to getting frustrated easily and had a less sharp temper.

That alone was worth it. And good decaf made in a drip system isn't bad at all.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Since decaf is chemically treated anyway, double down and go with Cafe Bustello instant decaf. It's actually the best instant AND the best decaf I've ever had if you get the water temperature right (190°F) and take it with milk. I'm not kidding. My only problem is that I can only find it in single serve plastic pouches. I wish I could find it in a jar.

Swiss water process is theoretically not chemically treated. Haven't studied up on it, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Is decaf tea hard to find? Seems like there are so many decaf options, everywhere, all the time. We like mint, tension tamer, and gypsy cold care (you don't have to have a cold, fwiw).

Along the same lines as KQ's points above, I've also read that filtered coffee is less bad for BP than French press, in case you are a French press person.

Anyway, I'd wager diet and exercise would have a far bigger impact than cutting out caffeine.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Swiss water process is theoretically not chemically treated. Haven't studied up on it, so correct me if I'm wrong.
    you are right.

both swiss water process (SWP) and mountain water process (MWP) only use water. because caffeine is water soluble, there aren't any harsh chemicals. SWP and MWP account for like 99% of high quality decafs out there.

even decafs that use a solvent aren't necessarily bad for you, but i still prefer SWP and MWP.