I need new boots

OK, I finally destroyed my old Salomon ski boots that I had for, wait for it, 21 years, I bought them at the Colorado ski and golf on Havana st in 1999 and they have served me well over that time, but I finally ripped the tongue out completely while trying to put them on on a really cold day. Needless to say I haven't shopped for alpine boots in a while, so need some help narrowing the focus here, besides the obvious buy the boots that fit you best, what's other things that are out there to look for, not care about, etc. Do new boots have WiFi enabled? Do they use AI to improve your skiing? Are there certain brands that will impress my friends more than others?

About me, I'm a 47 year old male, 6' 180 lbs, I enjoy beer and skiing a variety of terrain on Icelantic Shamans.

It’s still the best boot out there…..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCB2C3B9-3905-4D6A-A694-356D27F4256C.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	909.6 KB 
ID:	385554

Yer gonna want to make sure your new boots have polestraps. Or not. I can't remember. I just know it matters.

Are those Salomon's compatible with Shifts?

Most anything you ski will be better. Make sure they fit your bindings, we got all fucky with different norms and have now settled on GripWalk going forward (and Alpine DIN).

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    It’s still the best boot out there…..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCB2C3B9-3905-4D6A-A694-356D27F4256C.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	909.6 KB 
ID:	385554
    Good friend who loved his SX-91's was buried with the boots in his casket.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Name:  10A380EA-3FF5-4334-AA20-693D1BEF7BAC.jpeg
Views: 470
Size:  28.9 KB
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

You have been a member here for 18 years and the concept of going to a bootfitter is foreign to you?
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    You have been a member here for 18 years and the concept of going to a bootfitter is foreign to you?
    Completely

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Is this Red Man you’re referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    I mean, it's not totally unwarranted: as a previous boot fitter, I can attest to not wanting to do it anymore, and I doubt I'm alone not wanting to deal with sub par pay for doing the most important part of someone's ski setup. I've seen a lot of boot fitters dying out and weirdly enough, there are more tools in the customers' hands these days (look up the verifyt thread).

Even in my limited experience fitting boots I've seen it take some pretty big turns. I can also count on one hand the number of boot fitters I would trust between two states.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Is this Red Man you’re referring to?
    Unless Red Man's name was Chuck I doubt it.

Did Red Man pass on? Ate dinner with him a few times at the Peruvian. What a character.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Did Red Man pass on? Ate dinner with him a few times at the Peruvian. What a character.
    No idea. Was trying to think of SX91 devotees.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    I mean, it's not totally unwarranted: as a previous boot fitter, I can attest to not wanting to do it anymore, and I doubt I'm alone not wanting to deal with sub par pay for doing the most important part of someone's ski setup. I've seen a lot of boot fitters dying out and weirdly enough, there are more tools in the customers' hands these days (look up the verifyt thread). Even in my limited experience fitting boots I've seen it take some pretty big turns. I can also count on one hand the number of boot fitters I would trust between two states.
    Yes, you have to love doing it and be able to afford not to take a better paying job. There are usually only a few years during which a smart and motivated young person fits this description, and at our company they usually move on to corporate jobs after a few years (often still in the company). Most quit just when they are starting to get competent, but before they have learned all the tricks or started to evolve their own techniques.

[QUOTE=buttahflake;6408583]Did Red Man pass on? Ate dinner with him a few times at the Peruvian. What a character.[/QUOT

No idea who Red Man is but my friend never stayed at the P-Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    OK, I finally destroyed my old Salomon ski boots that I had for, wait for it, 21 years, I bought them at the Colorado ski and golf on Havana st in 1999 and they have served me well over that time, but I finally ripped the tongue out completely while trying to put them on on a really cold day. Needless to say I haven't shopped for alpine boots in a while, so need some help narrowing the focus here, besides the obvious buy the boots that fit you best, what's other things that are out there to look for, not care about, etc. Do new boots have WiFi enabled? Do they use AI to improve your skiing? Are there certain brands that will impress my friends more than others?

About me, I'm a 47 year old male, 6' 180 lbs, I enjoy beer and skiing a variety of terrain on Icelantic Shamans.
    GregL can help you (scanner software thread)

Key still is that boot needs to fit foot.
    Aggressive in my own mind