Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fly rod choices for Jackson WY/ Grand Teton area

Planning to move to the area next summer and looking for suggestions on the best all around fly rods for the area. Can the area be fished effectively with a 1 rod quiver or do I need multiples? I was thinking of starting with a fast-ish action 6wt, and planning on eventually adding a slower 4wt. I am most used to throwing a 9wt at redfish and snook, so the whole trout thing is new to me. Price range is likely $400-500 for the rod (not including reel). I would prefer 1-2 nice setups (without getting into the really high priced stuff).

It takes four rods to fill a river quiver, duh

Just kidding. I do fine with a 9ft 5wt Sage X and a 7wt echo streamer rod (when I'm not breaking them). If you could only have one maybe go with a fastish 6wt. Heard good things about the Scott Centric for that.

Just kinda funny because fly rod choice not usually the first concern when trying to live here.
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

I have 3 rods that I use here. An 8’-5” 5wt, 9’ 5wt, and 9’ 6wt. They have covered the bases pretty well. IMO a good do it all for this area would be a 9’ 5wt. The 6wt is primarily used as a streamer rod or for the occasional warm water pursuit.

There is certainly no shortage of water where a 3wt or lighter would be nice to have.

disclaimer: there are much more qualified people on here than me to answer this

edit: I also live further into Idaho and only occasionally fish the Snake. Usually on smaller water when heading over to the valley.

3 or 4 for creeks, 5 or 6 for the rivers. Check out Edge rods.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Just kinda funny because fly rod choice not usually the first concern when trying to live here.
    I've been working out the other concerns for awhile now. But in regards to fishing, I'm probably selling my saltwater gear this year, and want to be on the lookout for deals.

Right on man maybe we can wet a line sometime then
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

8’6 5wt or 9’ 6wt are classic all around western trout rods. Given the rather fantastic choice of places to fish within a couple hours of there, whether it’s effective is probably more up to you.

Need a spey rod, too!

A Spey rod, a spring creek rod, a float tube rod, an alpine lake rod, a beaver pond rod, there’s no limit.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    It takes four rods to fill a river quiver, duh

Just kidding. I do fine with a 9ft 5wt Sage X and a 7wt echo streamer rod (when I'm not breaking them). If you could only have one maybe go with a fastish 6wt. Heard good things about the Scott Centric for that.

I got a $160 echo 7 weight this spring that I have used a lot this summer throwing articulated and otherwise weighted streamers. It has been a great purchase. So I like kokos advice. If just one rod, I’d go with the 6 but I think you could get a 7 and a 5 both within the price range you describe especially if you can find a used 5. Nothing pretty about slinging a big streamer so I don’t think you need to spend much money. DO buy a high quality line for the streamer rod though. The extra 50 bucks is well worth it. Then next summer when water levels drop, grab a cheap 3 for creeks and your quiver is set for well less than a grand on rods. Similar to the 7, you don’t need anything expensive to make 25 foot casts with bushy attractors on smaller water.

I’d go a 6 and a 4. Floating and a sinking lines for the 6. That’ll keep you covered.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I’d go a 6 and a 4. Floating and a sinking lines for the 6. That’ll keep you covered.
    That’s what I did when I got back into the sport. I bought a six, (which has caught pike, bonefish, etc., along w/ being a great nymph rod), and then I added the 4, and well now it’s just gone off the rails.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I think this is the way, or an 8'-6" weight 5 weight instead of a 4. That being said I would not take any advice from me seeing as how I have a problem - 2 - 4 weights, 3 - 5 weights, 2 - 6 weights and a 7 weight (and that is just my fresh water rods).
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Definitely listen to Teleee…..I’ve seen what he can do on the water first hand…….
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i got this hudge bro
    sticks em with a 6 1/2 foot echo gecko glass

wife drove outta camp with my 6 weight sp on the roof
    i think she drove over it on the way back
    then tells me she thinks she saw a rod in the road
    reel survived
    then i lift a dink into the boat netless and my 5 weight snaps
    been 6months since i sent in the redington dually switch stick in
    im hopin sage can git their shit together
    and i git warranties by spring
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    3 or 4 for creeks, 5 or 6 for the rivers. Check out Edge rods.
    +1

Haven't cast any of Edge's rods, yet;-)...but certainly price-wise is near the top....also am interested in how graphene is being put into some rods(ie Douglas, Epic..etc)....would be interested in their performance.
    Enjoyed throwing some line with another uber-priced rod(Scott's Centric) the other day and there are a few+ in that range...Sage, GLoomis...etc.

I like the 6 and 4 suggestions. You will be better off in the long run. With that said, the warranty thing is a great point. If you only have one 9ft 5wt and you break it...better pray they fix it super fast or you will be buying another rod to not miss out on the fishing.

I do long for a 8'8" 5wt G Series for on the Fork for Green Drakes and Hoppers, but I spent the money this season on a T&T Contact II 10'9" 3wt euro rod. Probably next year. These types of arguments go on forever, but do you have access to a boat? Do you have any interest in euro style nymphing? My perfect western quiver:

Fiberglass 3wt for small streams
    Medium action 7wt with full lead core sinking line for streamers and glow in the dark floating line for mouse
    Medium action 5wt for hoppers, big dries and windy lake fishing
    Medium action 4wt for small dries, picky presentation and wade fishing
    3wt Euro rod

The above are the rods I personally fish regularly and cover most of the trout fishing I can think of.

If I had to pick one single rod for Jackson area...gonna be an 8'8" Scott G Series in 5wt. Hopper season is a hell of a thing up there...might as well pick the rod that does that best! Plus, it will do most of the rest pretty ok...except streamers and mice. But fuck it...its all about the hoppers.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Small streams I fish a faster 590. Lots of terrestrials and wind make the G series or a 4 a nice thought but not super practical, mine collected dust until I offloaded it. 690 for boat/big bugs/streamer/laker rod.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Small streams I fish a faster 590. Lots of terrestrials and wind make the G series or a 4 a nice thought but not super practical, mine collected dust until I offloaded it. 690 for boat/big bugs/streamer/laker rod.
    The G Series in high wind with a big fly isn’t for everyone’s casting stroke…I personally never had a problems with the 8’8” models. The 9ft gets a bit overpowered when you push into it really hard. Definitely not for a 4wt G though.

Once I stopped fishing/buying fast action rods…I never looked back and never needed or wanted one. Not near as fun.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

There isn’t a river in Colorado I wouldn’t fish with a 4 weight. If you are going to be on a boat any time on the Snake, South Fork, Henry’s Fork etc in the summer you will be outgunned with a 4 weight. I don’t care how well you cast.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    There isn’t a river in Colorado I wouldn’t fish with a 4 weight. If you are going to be on a boat any time on the Snake, South Fork, Henry’s Fork etc in the summer you will be outgunned with a 4 weight. I don’t care how well you cast.

Yeah, agreed…that was why I asked if he had access to a boat. I don’t even put the four weight on the boat…but as a wading rod, a 4wt G Series is lovely and in the Wyoming wind, a 8’8” 5wt would be my choice for a wading rod.

Boat rod….6wt or 7wt with a full sink line and a 9ft/10ft rod in 4/5 for indicator fishing.

My kid bought his first real rod this year, the Sage Foundation 9’ 5wt. I’ve fished it a bit and impressed with how it throws streamers, nymph rigs and dries. For the price, pretty decent all around rod IMO. Also support the comments on Echo rods and bang for the buck.

I’d personally go with one rod out of the gate and invest in a reel w/ 2-3 different spool/ line set ups. Then pick up additional rods as time goes on.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Yeah, agreed…that was why I asked if he had access to a boat. I don’t even put the four weight on the boat…but as a wading rod, a 4wt G Series is lovely and in the Wyoming wind, a 8’8” 5wt would be my choice for a wading rod.

Boat rod….6wt or 7wt with a full sink line and a 9ft/10ft rod in 4/5 for indicator fishing.

once when the green was 1100cfs i threw a fullsink to git down
    but i dont know anyone who throws a full sink in other than stillwater situations
    oh and "indicator" rods
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    once when the green was 1100cfs i threw a fullsink to git down
    but i dont know anyone who throws a full sink in other than stillwater situations
    I obviously misspoke designating between a full sinking line and fullsink....as in, I run an intermediate sink rate, on a designated sinking line...rather then just throwing a sink tip on my floating line. I forget the rate I have on the 7wt, but it really loads the road with minimal line out and shoots like crazy. And yes, best to start striping as soon as it hits the bank and keep it moving. Works great for me, but it is a 100% designated streamer setup.

My JH quiver is:
    3wt Orvis Helios ZG 8'4"
    4wt Orvis Superfine 7'6'
    5wt Scott Radian 9'
    7wt Redington Vapen 9'

Definitely some overlap between the 3wt and 4wt, both used when wading, just depends on whether I want to fish fast or slower action. Radian is a great boat rod, also fish it wading on larger water. Vapen is my streamer rod but I am looking to upgrade.