Page 25 of 64 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Did you miss the part about him going back to Florida and then flying back two weeks later. She had the van. He was over 2000 miles away for an extended period of time
    Making all of this much more WTF than usual
    Do you have a link to that on a reputable site?

I saw that mentioned on a site that also said Moab was in Wyoming and Yellowstone was in California, so I tend to suspect anything I read from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    If they didn't get him a motel room for the night they were going to arrest her. You have to wonder how a night in jail, which probably would have resulted in a call to her parents, might have changed the trajectory of this whole thing.
    That's a good observation. Laws that requires cops to arrest when they have probable cause to arrest for a dv assault do not gender discriminate. An "assault" is an offensive touching, no matter how minor. So if Petito said she scratched dude, and dude confirmed, they are legally required to arrest Petito and book her in jail. But after that, they should go back to the 911 caller and see if they can build a case against dude, and then they can go arrest him too. I have seen cases where both dv partners are arrested for assault. And then there would be a no contact order against each of them. And again, ya, people violate no contact orders all the time and go murder their partner. But at least the police department would have been protected from liability in that case.

An assault is only legal if done in self defense, and the force used in self defense cannot be more than necessary. And cops typically let the prosecutor/jury decide what is and what is not self defense (so they arrest away and let the system sort it out).

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Wow. It's a sobering thought to realize that jailing her seems more likely to have saved her life than jailing him. What a world.
    Arresting and jailing people does not necessarily mean they will be charged with a crime. But it does introduce them to resources that they may have not known were available. Like victim advocates and free resources (food, shelter, ect) for dv victims. These services are also available for dude too, if he is a dv victim.

That's why states have enacted these mandatory arrest for dv assault laws. They want to separate the parties and use the power of the court system (no contact orders) to ensure they have had adequate cooling off periods. Think of the additional check and balances that would have occurred if the cops had arrested both parties in this situation. Both would have been sitting in the Moab jail with time to reflect on what the hell is happening (without any self medicating). Then both would have had to go in front of a judge for a release hearing. They can, and probably should, keep their mouth shut at that hearing. But judges will often try to discuss the situation with the person at that hearing. And a prosecutor and free public defender are in the room for this too. They can speak to the public defender free of charge and tell the attorney anything they want, without fear of it being used against them (public defender discussion is confidential). Additional set of eyes (besides the cops) to dig a little deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvelinusconfluentus View Post
    Did you miss the part about the most dangerous time is when they leave their abusers?
    I don't think she'd have been in any immediate danger by leaving his ass in the middle of a national park with no transportation and then driving back across the country.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Do you have a link to that on a reputable site?

I saw that mentioned on a site that also said Moab was in Wyoming and Yellowstone was in California, so I tend to suspect anything I read from there.
    First I heard a news report where it was mentioned he had gone back to FL. Date after 08/12. Not mentioned. Then I found two YouTube investigators who went through a tick toc of everything they did by date. Two different sources same information. One of them even tracked down an Uber eats delivery to her to a Fairfield Inn outside SLC on the 24th. Paid by her dad I will see if I can stumble upon that video
    Notice the main stream media really sucks at details
    Little things like. What happened between 8/12 and 8/25. I can’t even tell when she went dead. From 8/25 to 8/30? And that dude did not drive back to FL. In 2 days
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

YouTube investigators who went through a tick toc of everything
    I'm just gonna let this marinate for a bit.
    I still call it The Jake.

I would not fully believe anything MTT posts on any thread on TGR.

But the youtube investigators did their research!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    But the youtube investigators did their research!
    I feel like you just copied that from one of the COVID threads.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    I don't think she'd have been in any immediate danger by leaving his ass in the middle of a national park with no transportation and then driving back across the country.
    Not until he was able to catch up to her... and he could if he wanted to..

Quote Originally Posted by Salvelinusconfluentus View Post
    Not until he was able to catch up to her... and he could if he wanted to..
    I feel like there are superhuman powers that we don't know we have. Can you elaborate? I promise to only use mine for good.

And that dude did not drive back to FL. In 2 days
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I would not fully believe anything MTT posts on any thread on TGR.
    they were actually tiktok investigators who went through everything on YouTube.

Totally different situation! Friggin MTT

Also here to note:
    There’s nothing funnier than when somebody is desperately serious about being anti-joking.

Jokes help get through things. It’s a little relief. Telling somebody they can’t joke around about something awful is like telling telling somebody with a splitting headache they can’t have a tylenol.
    Oh you want to feel better for a bit? Fuck you, suffer!

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Also here to note:
    There’s nothing funnier than when somebody is desperately serious about being anti-joking.

Jokes help get through things. It’s a little relief. Telling somebody they can’t joke around about something awful is like telling telling somebody with a splitting headache they can’t have a tylenol.

Or if she was uncomfortable driving the tiny van cross country(*), she could drive to GJ or Price while she calls her parents to come get her. Then call cops wherever she stops to get protection.

She had outs if she wanted to take them. Either her Stockholm Syndrome was off the charts or she didn’t see him as a threat.

(*) She did mention in her interview with Moab PD that she was not comfortable driving for long distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Not immediate danger, but what about the next week, month, etc? Very dangerous time.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Come for the poo-slinging, Save a fortune on a plumber.

I don't profess to know anything about this case (the whole "missing pretty blond white woman gets all the news coverage" thing bothers me too much to read, even if it is a tragedy for her family and friends). So I don't know the state of their relationship, what happened on that traffic stop, or whatever. But the notion that someone living in a cycle of abuse could/should easily "just leave" when they seem to have the chance is woefully uninformed and downright offensive. Any one of you who thinks it is that simple should educate yourselves on domestic violence, because your take here is a really bad look.

UT/WY Missing Persons Case>WILD

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    I frequent only two forums like TGR regularly, the other being a Mottorcycle forum and both have long active threads discussing this situation.
    In comparison, the tone of TGR is rather disappointing with the general misogynistic overtones of many users, the dismissive attempts at humor and sarcasm over a really shitty situation.
    Is this death the worst thing in the world? No, not for you it isn't, but for many who knew her, it is.
    There are apparently lots of unsolved missing people, but that does not take away from the tragedy of this one.
    Attacking a poster for pointing out the undisputable frequent abuse and victimhood of women at the hands of men is trollish, childish and misogynistic bullshit, but there is a strong tendency of that type on TGR.

As I've mentioned a few times in this thread, I am from LI (long ago) but my sister, her family, her community and workplace are all part of Gabby's, her family's (and the BF's) lives, and this is a terrible tragedy for them.

I hope you are all never close to anything so horrific, and I would think any decent person would hope the same for others, so at least have some respect for that.
    The tone and the lack of understanding of domestic abuse /abusers/victims from many in this thread is disgusting.

Salve…/mtng really triggers a bunch of you misogynist assholes, but she’s right on regarding the domestic abuse angle here.

The cops suggesting to the girl that they are doing her a favor by not arresting her further her thoughts that she’s in the wrong and abuser getting away with it. Hence will lead her to think no one will believe her.

edit: Danno gets it

First I heard a news report where it was mentioned he had gone back to FL. Date after 08/12. Not mentioned. Then I found two YouTube investigators who went through a tick toc of everything they did by date. Two different sources same information. One of them even tracked down an Uber eats delivery to her to a Fairfield Inn outside SLC on the 24th. Paid by her dad I will see if I can stumble upon that video
    Notice the main stream media really sucks at details
    Little things like. What happened between 8/12 and 8/25. I can’t even tell when she went dead. From 8/25 to 8/30? And that dude did not drive back to FL. In 2 days
    I read somewhere that the ubereats was ordered by her dad on Aug 21.

The last known text between her and her mom was on the 27th. There was a later text that the parents don’t believe was actually from her.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Also here to note:

I don’t read many posts in here as joking. There’s a few obvious ones, but when misogynists double down on her responses I don’t think she’s being “anti-joke.”. She’s being anti-misogynist and calling them out. Then folks who are triggered by her chime in to defend the misogyny. wtf

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I read somewhere that the ubereats was ordered by her dad on Aug 21.

The last known text between her and her mom was on the 27th. There was a later text that the parents don’t believe was actually from her.
    Any details on was she alone or with him on the 21st? I’m guessing he had control of the money
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by hikesalot View Post

Salve…/mtng really triggers a bunch of you misogynist assholes, but she’s right on regarding the domestic abuse angle
    Nobody is really saying she’s wrong. She’s just annoying as fuck and preachy… it’s possible to think someone is correct, AND want them to shut the fuck up at the same time.

Any details on was she alone or with him on the 21st? I’m guessing he had control of the money
    Nah, I don’t know if they were actually together when the meal was ordered.