Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1585
    I got a ways in, then sent the link to my wife. It's really more her bag than mine. She ended up having to scramble to get to work on time. My fault. Of course she works for herself, so there's that.

UT/WY Missing Persons Case>WILD

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    ok, I tried to read that article this morning and just couldn’t get through it. had some strong opinions at the time but thought it better to keep my comments to myself.

glad others seem to agree

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I actually typed out a comment and deleted it.

I’m sure Brian was a total piece of shit, but don’t tell me what he was thinking and don’t make a bunch of shit up. You literally do not need to to convince everybody he sucked; we know! It’s just shit writing. Oh, you think he was mad that nobody wanted to ask him about his bare feet? She is a beautiful person and really that means she’s kind to ugly people? He couldn’t handle her talking to men all day at Taco Bell? Shut up…

Lots of interesting investigative work ruined because she didn’t have an editor go through and delete all the stupid twitter burns and quips interspersed throughout.
    focus.

That article was crap. Im glad he did admit to killing her in the notebook before offing himself so at least there is no question.

Maybe writer is also hoping for a REI shoe sponsorship when she attempts to cash in in the tail end of van life ? That shit read like a heavily opinionated female version of Penthouse letters in long form. Do people like this type of writing or am I just old as fuck ?

I too didn't care for the style of the writing, but given the context, maybe leave the misogyny out of this.

Maybe it was just a cautionary tale for other young women? There were warning signs with him, signs that could be highlighted with literary license to point out to the reader. Maybe it wasn’t written for 40 yo dudes? And that’s ok too.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Maybe it was just a cautionary tale for other young women? There were warning signs with him, signs that could be highlighted with literary license to point out to the reader. Maybe it wasn’t written for 40 yo dudes? And that’s ok too.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I'm sure if I ran it by my 22 you daughter and cohorts they would say this is right in line with bad reality shoes aimed at women like "the Kardashians and Real Housewives of xcxccc" and it's not misogeny when you write shit and get called out for over the top sensationalistic garbage. I know magazines are in a tailspin but VF needs to do a little better.

IIRC, in the Moab police video there was a lady cop that understood the toxic relationship and was telling Gabby she did not need to stay with him.

I give the writer artistic license for that article’s writing style. But despite that style, the article did bring to light some significant facts that I had not been aware of, so I did find it worth reading.

For one thing, this is the first I heard of Brian’s penchant for bare foot hiking. Seems that was a source of irritation to Gabby, who didn’t like his dirty feet messing up her living space, which led to arguments.

I didn’t recall that being mentioned back then, but of course, I didn’t read everything.

That article was well within the scope of modern humanities writing that attempts to ascribe agency and give a voice to victims.

I thought one of the most important parts was that it ended with Gabby's death, not Brian's.

The point of the article isn't to convey facts but to show the hopes and dreams that Gabby carried and what was taken away.

I'm just impressed by how the old white men in the room completely missed the entire point of the article.....

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    That article was well within the scope of modern humanities writing that attempts to ascribe agency and give a voice to victims.

I thought one of the most important parts was that it ended with Gabby's death, not Brian's.

The point of the article isn't to convey facts but to show the hopes and dreams that Gabby carried and what was taken away.
    Sure, sure. What misses the mark (for me) is the need to further diminish Brian to get there. It undermines the article and is just bad writing. He’s already, objectively, diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    I'm just impressed by how the old white men in the room completely missed the entire point of the article.....
    Nah, we get it. We’re just pointing out that the point is weakened by the shitty writing. Also I was going to let it go, and just assume that I was unique in being rubbed wrong by it. But apparently not.

And I’m way younger than most of these fuckers.
    focus.

Why did gabby go for this guy? Sounds like a classic talentless deadbeat POS with the added bonus of schizo/bipolar. She could have slayed being a mountain town 10, and likely shacked up with any number of pros if she had just moved to a mountain town. Classic abusive relationship story that unfortunately keeps getting passed down to the next generation.

I thought it was a well written magazine story... but im just an engineer so WDIK?

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    You’re right!
    Age doesn’t lead to wisdom and being born white and male is simply unacceptable.
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Sure, sure. What misses the mark (for me) is the need to further diminish Brian to get there. It undermines the article and is just bad writing. He’s already, objectively, diminished.

Do you hear yourself here? He killed her. Do you remember how harshly Gabby was "diminished" when she was still missing before it was clear Brian killed her and even after?

He fucking killed her. By all accounts she was a decent human bring.

Diminish the fuck out of that sorry little asshole.

great article just sat by the pool reading it
    thanks for the link
    such a sad story other than the reports on tgr I never paid much attentnion till now
    what a fuck up she had potential and dreams but he was the only one willing to take off and live that adventure with her and he sucked at life
    she woulda excelled at ski town mtn town life a hustler and a dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Why did gabby go for this guy? Sounds like a classic talentless deadbeat POS with the added bonus of schizo/bipolar. She could have slayed being a mountain town 10, and likely shacked up with any number of pros if she had just moved to a mountain town. Classic abusive relationship story that unfortunately keeps getting passed down to the next generation.

I thought it was a well written magazine story... but im just an engineer so WDIK?
    Have you really never heard this question answered? It's real hard to leave an abusive relationships.

Here are some reasons.

https://www.joinonelove.org/learn/wh...abuse_is_hard/

Also, in case you really are that abstruse, the most dangerous time for someone in an abusive relationships is when they leave.

Gabby may very well have been trying to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by mb6f50 View Post
    Have you really never heard this question answered?
    More of a rhetorical question.

Huh. Not gonna slight the VF piece. Hate to say I see a little of this Brian person in myself. I’d never be physical towards a partner (nor tolerate it) but some of his other crap sounds eerily familiar. Shit I’ve had to work hard on, sometimes just doesn’t go away and I’d advise anybody, especially a young person, to avoid, or at least be very aware of, in a partner. Of course, it ain’t bout me. Super sad for Gabby obv. Bright young person. She really liked this guy and, yeah. Damn.

I think the article does a great job of really humanizing her, empathize with a person who maybe you thought was some crazy-eyed narcissistic van life IG freak. Just so damn sad. She’da followed this bastard to hell, imagine if she’d found a good person instead.

This also could have been avoided if we were allowed to beat non-indigenous barefoot runners and hikers to death upon sight, something I’ve advocated for over many years.

Also the VF article does point out something we’ve all known here is the cops fucked up by not running the DV machine on someone. Even if you get the wrong person at first, fuck it.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

At one point I was joking with my wife about selling everything and going for the #vanlife. She said no fucking way, every wife and or girlfriend ends up dead.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    More of a rhetorical question.
    A rhetorical question is one without an answer.

There is a very good answer to why Gabby stayed with Brian. Not acknowledging that is victim blaming.

Quote Originally Posted by mb6f50 View Post
    A rhetorical question is one without an answer.
    Actually, that’s not what that means.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    This also could have been avoided if we were allowed to beat non-indigenous barefoot runners and hikers to death upon sight, something I’ve advocated for over many years.
    lol

and m-series jong-not-jong, a rhetorical question is one where the asker is not expecting an answer, they're not asking it to get an answer, but it does not necessarily mean that there is no answer.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    lol

and m-series jong-not-jong, a rhetorical question is one where the asker is not expecting an answer, they're not asking it to get an answer, but it does not necessarily mean that there is no answer.
    Ok. Fine. Its still victim blaming.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    You’re right!
    Age doesn’t lead to wisdom and being born white and male is simply unacceptable.
    Good point!
    How is your therapy going?