Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1585
  1. #1551
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    13,501
    Well, looks like we've got another very similar situation playing out now..

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/mollybo...h=3949edb75206
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  2. #1552
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bend
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    It feels like the girl's parents are using lawsuits as a coping mechanism at this point. I tend to agree with the above that it is not like this kid is running around scott free living his best life currently.

    Sad situation all around. Both sets of parents are living basically their worst nightmares.
    Well said, with fewer words too.

    I think is revenge more than anything. They want to punish the parents for the acts of their son. I think it probably stems from not wanting to accept that she was a player in this drama. It takes two to tango as they say. Once again as TBS has said, look at the Moab footage. She was unhinged.

  3. #1553
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    3,469
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Well, looks like we've got another very similar situation playing out now..

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/mollybo...h=3949edb75206
    They located her in Redding. Sheís alive.

  4. #1554
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    13,501
    Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    They located her in Redding. She’s alive.
    Good news!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  5. #1555
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,277
    So .... is the guy dead??

  6. #1556
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    160
    Brian's parents didn't look good from the beginning, the revelation of the letter only makes it worse.
    Their refusal to communicate with the Petito family , lawyering up instead. Helping Brian getting away after she was found, and now the letter.
    It also demonstrates what a horrible human being he was by allowing the letter to be found as it would seem to incriminate his mother further.
    Pretty sad all the way around, but I think the Petitos are right to pursue legal action against the Laundries.

  7. #1557
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Geopolis
    Posts
    15,352
    There is a pervasive victim-blamey narrative that runs through this thread.

    When a person ends up murdered and the other drives across the country in her car while using her debit cards, it is not "takes two to tango". The 911 call was because a male was observed striking a female. People may not be reliable witnesses all of the time, but slapping severe enough to involve cops probably deserves the benefit of the doubt. She is complicit in protecting him and it led to her death but there's no need to rewrite history about the facts.

    55% of women that are murdered are killed by partners and the cycle of abuse was pretty clear here to at least a few people looking for it that this was abuse certainly enough to move to a more complicated view than "wow, a crazy unhinged bitch".

    Some of you might also want to recheck whatever feminist bonafides you think you have if you believe that this is her fault or that given the set of facts, the parents are blameless in that he was able to get away. From the head start to noncompliance to the phone calls en route.

    Murdered means gone, life taken, the most serious charge there is, I would guess.

    And while this was an apparent murder from the beginning, the same people speculating that "This was likely an accident of some sort" continue to double down on the narrative that she brought this on herself and embarrass themselves to this day.

    All I am asking for is for an open mind and investigation into what the parents knew and when they knew it. It seems like there is enough there to justify that. If that is mere "coping" - so be it - but I don't have a problem with the parents trying to get justice for their daughter.

    One last time, the word is MURDER.
    Last edited by ex-powderbroker; 05-31-2023 at 12:35 PM.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

  8. #1558
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Flavor Country
    Posts
    2,921
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post

    investigation into what the parents knew and when they knew it. It seems like there is enough there to justify that. If that is mere "coping" - so be it - but I don't have a problem with the parents trying to get justice for their daughter.
    That criminal investigation (such as it was) was carried out by the prosecutor and police in Florida and they determined there was not enough evidence to justify charges. This is a civil case and the point of a civil case is not to "investigate" or discover if a crime was committed, it is to award punitive damages. I understand her parents are frustrated that his parents haven't been charged, but their suit is not going to produce new charges or solve a crime, it's going to award them money, period.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

  9. #1559
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not in the PRB
    Posts
    31,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    That criminal investigation (such as it was) was carried out by the prosecutor and police in Florida and they determined there was not enough evidence to justify charges. This is a civil case and the point of a civil case is not to "investigate" or discover if a crime was committed, it is to award punitive damages. I understand her parents are frustrated that his parents haven't been charged, but their suit is not going to produce new charges or solve a crime, it's going to award them money, period.
    Except what they want is for his parents to be punished for their alleged misdeeds. Punitive damages do just that, don't they? It may not be exactly what they want, but it certainly could provide them with some closure.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

  10. #1560
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Flavor Country
    Posts
    2,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Except what they want is for his parents to be punished for their alleged misdeeds. Punitive damages do just that, don't they? It may not be exactly what they want, but it certainly could provide them with some closure.
    I'm not disputing any of that, nor am arguing that her parents shouldn't be bringing this case if they think it will help bring closure. Ex-powderbroker seems to think this case will open a new criminal investigation and that is why her parents are bringing it, so his parents might be criminally charged or maybe we'll finally get to the bottom of what they knew and when? I, and others, are arguing that her parents have already made up their mind about his parents culpability, and this case is about coping, revenge, punishment, etc.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

  11. #1561
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not in the PRB
    Posts
    31,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    I'm not disputing any of that, that's actually kind of my point. Ex-powderbroker seems to think this case will open a new criminal investigation and that is why her parents are bringing it, so his parents might be criminally charged or maybe we'll finally get to the bottom of what they knew and when? I, and others, are arguing that her parents have already made up their mind about his parents culpability, and this case is about coping, revenge, punishment, etc.
    I see what you're saying, and maybe I am not paying close enough attention to what ex-p has posted. But it seems to me that her parents just want culpability, to hold the parents culpable for their actions. Isn't that what criminal charges are about? And since they can't get it through the criminal justice system, they are trying to get some form of culpability through other means.

    I will say that it is possible, if unlikely, that a civil trial could lead to a new criminal investigation. If discovery uncovers new evidence, there is nothing that would prevent reopening the investigation and charges from being brought. But that certainly is unlikely and should not be the focus of a civil suit. Making bad actors pay the price for their bad actions is (or should be) the point of the civil suit.

    Again, I haven't paid close attention to the posts in this thread, so maybe I missed something.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

  12. #1562
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Geopolis
    Posts
    15,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    That criminal investigation (such as it was) was carried out by the prosecutor and police in Florida and they determined there was not enough evidence to justify charges. This is a civil case and the point of a civil case is not to "investigate" or discover if a crime was committed, it is to award punitive damages. I understand her parents are frustrated that his parents haven't been charged, but their suit is not going to produce new charges or solve a crime, it's going to award them money, period.
    sure i am fine with all of that. day in court and damages. fuck the laundries.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

  13. #1563
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bend
    Posts
    983
    Fair enough, the point is that Gabbyís family can seek punitive damages. Ultimately what does that look like?

    The Laundries didnít murder Gabby. Their deceased son did. The court is never going to put together exactly what they knew. So, if we speculate the worst case scenario and say Brian immediately told his parents what he did and where he buried the body then they are guilty of prolonging the status quo of the Petitos not knowing if Gabby was alive or not. For a week? Two weeks? Whatís that worth? Whatís a fair punishment for not ratting out your adult kid thatís clearly under a ton of distress and maybe suicidal?

    Victims families want their loved one back and thereís no way to achieve that. By the time the Laundries defend themselves from this suit theyíll probably be broke. Punishment enough?

  14. #1564
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    14,782
    Agreed, let the Petitos sue for monetary damages, if thatís what it takes for them.

    In the meantime:
    - Murder is the 3rd leading cause of death for Indigenous Women
    - More than 4 out of 5 Indigenous Women have experienced violence
    - More than half Indigenous Women experience sexual violence (56.1%).
    - Indigenous Women are twice as likely to be raped than Anglo-American white women.
    - Murder rate of Indigenous Women is 3x higher than Anglo-American women.

    More than half of these crimes are committed by non-indigenous people on tribal land.

    https://mmiwusa.org/

    https://www.nativewomenswilderness.org/mmiw

    Name:  B91EA703-7996-44E1-BFAD-E91E5B6185AF.jpeg
Views: 196
Size:  70.5 KB

  15. #1565
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    OOTAH
    Posts
    3,794
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Well said, with fewer words too.

    I think is revenge more than anything. They want to punish the parents for the acts of their son. I think it probably stems from not wanting to accept that she was a player in this drama. It takes two to tango as they say. Once again as TBS has said, look at the Moab footage. She was unhinged.
    So she deserved to die because she was unhinged? You my friend are a fucking douchebag.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

  16. #1566
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    22,259
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    I am going to take a break from this thread rather than put up with any more delusional statements, victim blaming, and speculation that have been present from the beginning.
    So what you are saying is--you can't stand to hear anyone disagree with you.

  17. #1567
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Geopolis
    Posts
    15,352
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    So what you are saying is--you can't stand to hear anyone disagree with you.
    More like it's a shame when people have loud and stupid opinions but skiing is a better way to spend my time than arguing on the internet with dicks. YMMV.
    Or, maybe not mileage in your case if it's time for an elderly drivers license renewal.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

  18. #1568
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not in the PRB
    Posts
    31,734
    Anything domestic violence related seems to bring out the myopic asshole in people who otherwise seem to be decent humans.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

  19. #1569
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bend
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    So she deserved to die because she was unhinged? You my friend are a fucking douchebag.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No one said she deserved to die.

    Itís been a long time ago, but at some point I watched a lot of the footage. She was having these long drawn out conversations with him about how she wasnít happy and wanted to leave him. He would then convince her it was just depression not how she really felt. Rinse repeat.

    Itís a tragic situation, as most domestic violence cases are. I just donít see how his parents are responsible and hers arenít. Two adults engage in a toxic relationship that ends in murder suicide. But, itís one parentsí fault. Maybe Iím a douchebag, I just donít see it.

  20. #1570
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    22,259
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    Some of you might also want to recheck whatever feminist bonafides you think you have if you believe that this is her fault or that given the set of facts, the parents are blameless in that he was able to get away. .
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    More like it's a shame when people have loud and stupid opinions but skiing is a better way to spend my time than arguing on the internet with dicks. YMMV.
    Or, maybe not mileage in your case if it's time for an elderly drivers license renewal.
    Do you see any incongruity between your "feminist bonafides" and your ageism?

  21. #1571
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not in the PRB
    Posts
    31,734
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    It’s a tragic situation, as most domestic violence cases are. I just don’t see how his parents are responsible and hers aren’t. Two adults engage in a toxic relationship that ends in murder suicide. But, it’s one parents’ fault. Maybe I’m a douchebag, I just don’t see it.
    It's not their fault (as far as we know) that their son committed murder. But if they aided him in the commission of or cover up of the murder, that is something for which they should be held accountable. How is that so hard to see? And the simple fact that the DA chose not to prosecute doesn't mean that they should not be held accountable if there is a means to hold them accountable (again, assuming that a jury believes the "if" in the second sentence).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

  22. #1572
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    2,040
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Itís a tragic situation, as most domestic violence cases are. I just donít see how his parents are responsible and hers arenít. Two adults engage in a toxic relationship that ends in murder suicide. But, itís one parentsí fault.
    PLEASE elaborate on this Olympic level performance of mental gymnastics. Iím fascinated by your thought process.

  23. #1573
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bend
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It's not their fault (as far as we know) that their son committed murder. But if they aided him in the commission of or cover up of the murder, that is something for which they should be held accountable. How is that so hard to see? And the simple fact that the DA chose not to prosecute doesn't mean that they should not be held accountable if there is a means to hold them accountable (again, assuming that a jury believes the "if" in the second sentence).
    The suit alleges aiding and abetting in essence. But, we donít know that they knew he was a suspect or if he did it or not. Iím not saying that itís impossible that they knew he did it, or attempted to help him escape. But, we get back to the fact that the DA didnít find enough evidence to file charges.

  24. #1574
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bend
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    PLEASE elaborate on this Olympic level performance of mental gymnastics. Iím fascinated by your thought process.
    My Olympic level thought gymnastics is that this is the opinion of the Petitos. I think theyíre trying to hold the Laundries responsible for the murder of their daughter.

    As I wrote earlier, worst case scenario, the Laundries knew Brian murdered Gabby and knew exactly where he buried her, I just donít see a jury finding that hugely punishable. Itís hard to sell a ďwhat ifĒ - which is pertinent. What if the authorities never found the body.

  25. #1575
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    2,040

    UT/WY Missing Persons Case>WILD

    Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    I just donít see how his parents are responsible and hers arenít. Two adults engage in a toxic relationship that ends in murder suicide. But, itís one parentsí fault.
    Now walk us through the other half of your floor routine here.

    How are the Petitoís responsible for their daughters murder?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •