Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    On the other hand, if some way you could harness this interest and energy maybe you all could find a few of the missing non-blonde non-white women missing in Wyoming.

I totally agree. I think an additional reason this case got so much traction is due to Gabby's social media presence. So it's really easy to pull up her IG, etc and start looking at dates, pictures, etc. and see if you recognize anything, patterns, etc. Then folks start sharing those images and information. Do the "non-blonde non-white women" / Indigenous women have that online presence in general? I truly don't know. If they do, someone start sharing!

I became aware of this case from looking at social media, not the news at all. Then I tuned into the news to try to get real concrete information from law enforcement.

Another thing I wonder about is the culture. Folks of color seem to have more distrust of law enforcement (for damn good reason) and maybe don't talk or share what they know. They're also often in smaller "communities" and don't want to be a snitch for fear of retribution (I think of Reservation size). So are the people who might know the most, be the ones who could share the most on social media, talk to news reporters, etc, doing those things? Or, are they trying and no one is listening?
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Come for the poo-slinging, Save a fortune on a plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    I like how he was named a "person of interest" and how they were SOOO interested they turned around and counted to 30 while letting his parents pack him a little to-go bag and hatch a plan to get him anywhere else.
    SERIOUSLY! W... T... F...?

I guess even with a national news story, surveillance is NOTHING like TV would have us believe. FBI et al are likely every bit as incompetent as everything else government related.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    so the conensus is salve etc. = Mntngirl?
    Who cares really? Whoever it is has valid points and understands the dynamics of unhealthy relationships.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It’s become a thread of assumptions mirroring a case of assumptions. Setting odds of small assumptions vs massive assumptions. Assuming our assumptions about other people’s assumptions about what the reporters assumed about what the cops assumed are assumed correctly.

It’s like the forum got a tattoo of an ass with an ass tattoo on its ass.
    Name:  0537318E-D6B9-4668-8C19-01B9C5308278.jpeg
Views: 447
Size:  40.5 KB

Making assumptions about each other.
    The ass is me
    the ass is you
    Don’t eat ass
    it’s where we poo

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    In general on TRG you come off as a reasonable guy, you are clearly triggered here. You are bullying someone who may or may not be MtnG and yeah, there is plenty of misogyny in this thread. Cool off and come back later.

Salvelinus has done nothing but make reasonable points here, you don't have to agree with her.

Flipping your shit over it is on you.
    Triggered? Bullying? Losing my shit? Really dude?
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post

I guess even with a national news story, surveillance is NOTHING like TV would have us believe. FBI et al are likely every bit as incompetent as everything else government related.
    I wonder how this statement will hold up when it comes out the FBI knew his exact whereabouts up to the point that he abandoned his vehicle and cell phone?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

so the conensus is salve etc. = Mntngirl?
    yes.... but also....

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    Salvelinus has done nothing but make reasonable points here, you don't have to agree with her.

Flipping your shit over it is on you.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Honestly, what does it matter.

There's a lot of pent-up rage towards Mtngirl here, especially from the likes of folks posting definite misogynist bullishit.

You would think Makers was buttraped with a chainsaw the way he's so predictably triggered by the mere mention of her name.

Seems any person, if designated by the collective as a rare female, who makes a point re: pervasive systemic misogyny, gets thrown in the "Kraken" category and pilloried here by any number of our resident TRG dentists.

It's pretty fucked, actually.
    and this.

Quote Originally Posted by hikesalot View Post
    I totally agree. I think an additional reason this case got so much traction is due to Gabby's social media presence. So it's really easy to pull up her IG, etc and start looking at dates, pictures, etc. and see if you recognize anything, patterns, etc.
    Both of them had fewer than 1,000 followers when this first got media attention, they had a long ways to go to become "influencers". But yes, people can go back and look at the posts and by voyeurs or something...

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Both of them had fewer than 1,000 followers when this first got media attention, they had a long ways to go to become "influencers". But yes, people can go back and look at the posts and by voyeurs or something...
    I think it has more to do with the recent attention that #vanlife and just full-time, social media fueled travel has gotten. These two perhaps weren't the most successful at it, but they were doing it and tragedy and mystery ensued. That's a compelling story.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I think it has more to do with the recent attention that #vanlife and just full-time, social media fueled travel has gotten. These two perhaps weren't the most successful at it, but they were doing it and tragedy and mystery ensued. That's a compelling story.
    Agreed.

I kinda think that Gabby is helping to shine a big light on all the other missing women who don't attract much media attention.

The media shows what they think people want to see but then a lot of people end up not knowing what the media doesn't show.

Now a lot more people are aware and speaking out that it isn't acceptable.

Maybe Gabby is putting those wings to use.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    True - but to your point, the information (pics, dates, places) are there for people to share. I'm just searching missing Indigenous women and I see lots of articles about the topic, but not yet seeing anything about the actual women missing or the circumstances surrounding the murdered/missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvelinusconfluentus View Post
    I kinda think that Gabby is helping to shine a big light on all the other missing women who don't attract much media attention.
    The big question is whether or not it will result in any lasting change. I hope so, but my inner cynic says people tend to forget about these things after a week or two and we're right back to where we started.

Lasting change? That’s overly optimistic [see Black Lives Matter]

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post

So much drama, c'mon. A lawyer needs to chime in with some truth here, but even I know you can't arrest someone for a missing person when there is no proof she is hurt, dead, or anything like that.

You know the cops and FBI would LOVE to pick that guy up the day Gabby was reported missing, tie him to a chair, and beat him up until he talks. But they had zero evidence to get an arrest warrant with a judge, so they were stuck being 'incompetent'.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Lasting change? That’s overly optimistic [see Black Lives Matter]
    There may be some change happening on that front. Let's hope so. Although, I just saw a headline from the NYC BLM leader calling the vaccine mandate racist. That is a step backward imo.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    So much drama, c'mon. A lawyer needs to chime in with some truth here, but even I know you can't arrest someone for a missing person when there is no proof she is hurt, dead, or anything like that.

You know the cops and FBI would LOVE to pick that guy up the day Gabby was reported missing, tie him to a chair, and beat him up until he talks. But they had zero evidence to get an arrest warrant with a judge, so they were stuck being 'incompetent'.
    The only thing that really chaps my ass about the LE response was that they didn’t put a watch on the house. Nothing illegal about that to my knowledge. You’d just think they would have the forethought to do it as soon as they found out she was missing and he was at home.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    The only thing that really chaps my ass about the LE response was that they didn’t put a watch on the house. Nothing illegal about that to my knowledge. You’d just think they would have the forethought to do it as soon as they found out she was missing and he was at home.
    Again, if the dude wasn't white I bet all this would have been handled differently from the moment the MOAB cops started questioning them both..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Again, if the dude wasn't white I bet all this would have been handled differently from the moment the MOAB cops started questioning them both..
    If they were POC the cops probably wouldn't have even pulled them over. Domestic Violence? ah, let it go. Anything else, straight to jail.

Don't leap so quickly to conclusions. I don't recall being involved or expressing opinions. then. or now. Just tryin to keep who's who straight.

/Carryon.

yes.... but also....

This.

and this.
    "Can't you see..."

Don't leap so quickly to conclusions. I don't recall being involved or expressing opinions then or now. Just tryin to keep this place straight.

/Carryon.
    was just bringing you up to speed. No conclusions. Carry on

Another thing I wonder about is the culture. Folks of color seem to have more distrust of law enforcement (for damn good reason) and maybe don't talk or share what they know. They're also often in smaller "communities" and don't want to be a snitch for fear of retribution (I think of Reservation size). So are the people who might know the most, be the ones who could share the most on social media, talk to news reporters, etc, doing those things? Or, are they trying and no one is listening?
    This is incredibly ignorant and racist.

You can thank SCOTUS for most of the problem when they decided that non-natives cannot be prosecuted for violent crime against natives on Tribal land (Oliphant vs Suquamish Indian Tribe 1978)

And intransigence by GOP to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act since it was first passed in 1994.

So white oilfield workers go on reservations and wreak violence with impunity.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    This is incredibly ignorant and racist.

You can thank SCOTUS for most of the problem when they decided that non-natives cannot be prosecuted for violent crime against natives on Tribal land (Oliphant vs Suquamish Indian Tribe 1978)

And intransigence by GOP to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act since it was first passed in 1994.

So white oilfield workers go on reservations and wreak violence with impunity.
    https://www.niwrc.org/sites/default/...mip_report.pdf

See above link on "Barriers within the Community"

I don't think it's racist to point out actual barriers. And yes, there should be more awareness and actual investigations in these cases. I'm a proponent of that. But being white, and not wanting to be racist, can also say that maybe I'm not seeing the racism in my comment. ?

Do coroners' reports always take so long? I get that it's a high profile case and all but if she was so obviously murdered it should be obvious how she died- I don't think this guy was too smart, though he did manage to slip away. Her body was found pretty quickly and the only details I have seen that are not speculation is that it was a homicide. Are there no cliffs or dangerous terrain near that campground? There's a lot of room between he was a vicious abuser who finally beat her so bad she died from 82 blows with a a tire iron and she hit her head on a rock.

Hikesalot: re:misogyny…
    I’m prepared to accept if I’m wrong, but misogyny is a state of thought and feeling…and I don’t think and feel that way… so what you’re saying is that I think thoughts I don’t think and I feel feelings I don’t feel. We’re talking about my thoughts and feelings, so surely you can understand how I’d be pretty confident knowing my understanding of my own thoughts and feelings is stronger than yours. So I can only speculate what’s going on here is you’ve read something I’ve written and assumed an inaccurate underlying basis of thought and feeling behind it. I think the likelihood of you having misunderstood the personality and socialization of a person you don’t know behind an internet post is a lot higher than you reading an internet post and somehow knowing my core thoughts and feelings better than I do.

Let me turn this around and pose you a question, as means of trying to understand your assessment of me:
    the women I’m friends with: do you figure I have dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against them? Do you figure they tolerate my dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against them? I guess that’s possible, but it’s not really how it seems to me. It’s not about being women and girls, it’s about being cool, being smart, being funny, being creative, being athletic, being nice, being helpful, being present.

Is it possible, in your view, that generally I come in neutral and I just don’t like people who respond to my neutrality with fear or assumptions that I’m a douche…so a dynamic exists where when someone is predisposed to fear me or write me off as a misogynist, instead of bending over backwards to change their mind, I just mirror their contempt for me with an appropriate comtempt for their closed-minded and/or cowardly response to being presented with my open-minded neutrality.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvelinusconfluentus View Post
    You're such a fucking asshole
    I’m a mirror. I’m the golden rule. Nice people think I’m nice. Fucking assholes call me a fucking asshole, for better or worse. I guess we’re going to be assholes…because if there’s one kind of people I really don’t like: I don’t like the ones who don’t like me.

Let me mansplain you a little man tip about men: if you scattershot “you’re all a bunch of misogynistic assholes” energy at a population of men, you’re going to get a lot of blowback that’s not at all rooted in dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women, it’s just meeting suspicion and hostility and discomfort with returned suspicion and hostility and discomfort. If you go in friendly you might encounter misogynists, but you’ll encounter them as a much, much smaller batch of the group, and by then you’ll have everyone else on your side.

Or don’t, I dunno, what do I know.