Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Great blog post by Malcom Gladwell on why he thinks Norm sucks and why his opinion shouldn't matter. This should be posted in the vaccine thread too. Well done, MG.

https://malcolmgladwell.bulletin.com/224534839714566
    That was excellent, thanks.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    you two clearly didn't read the article. don't be like core shot, he's enough.
    You should listen to the interview then. I mean, it's him talking to another comedian for over an hour. Not Gladwell rambling on about his own personal lack of humor, trying to impress us with his depth and education in all things.

The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

I agree that Gladwell often does that but this essay actually kind of does the opposite - he admits that he doesn't get Norm because he doesn't know or understand enough to get Norm - just as he doesn't know enough to talk about poetry or appreciate the architecture of Sigurd Lewerentz (and I'm with him on poetry and not blown away by Lewerentz myself either). MG is actually showing some humility for once in my view.

Norm, I think, would have been pleased by the essay. Sure he wanted people to laugh but more than that he wanted them to react and if he didn't get the laugh then a groan or plain old befuddlement was just fine. And MG admits he is befuddled by Norm. I think Norm would have been smirking at the end of it.

Agree. Seemed like a really appropriate tribute to me--especially the change of direction at the end.

Genius.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

weird

The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.