Thread: Unextinction

Unextinction

In looking for a controversial thread topic I came across this. I don't know if it will work, but I noticed Bmills had some success with the wolf thread a while back and the 5 yr old AT hiker thread recently and this seems to have some of those qualities. Pleistocene Park sounds fun.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/13/gene...box=1631542339
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Unextinction

are you starting a feud w Wooley? We already have a thread for feud call-outs
    Last edited by mcski; 09-14-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Wooleys old, but I dunno if he's Pleistocene Park material.

Wooly saw them dig the canal Upstate.

By "them" I mean the glaciers.

Which kind of ties in nicely to this discussion. Maybe he could weigh in on the issues reanimating a dead mammoth could bring.

Also, what kind of a douche does "serial tech entrepreneur" look like? I'm sure someone will correct me.

I still call it The Jake.

Bringing back an ice age animal in the midst of global warming seems cruel. Better to bring back some dinosaur from when there were redwoods at the north pole. (Yes I know there were never redwoods or anything else growing at the north pole.)

Ask Wooley?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Bringing back an ice age animal in the midst of global warming seems cruel. Better to bring back some dinosaur from when there were redwoods at the north pole. (Yes I know there were never redwoods or anything else growing at the north pole.)
    They're saying in the article the "wooley" mammoth could help global warming slow.

Near as I can tell, they are not resurrecting or even re-creating an actual mammoth. They are tweeking the DNA of asian elphants to be cold tolerant (to be hairy and not sure what else) and to be immune to some sort of herpes virus. And then placing those genetically altered beasts into an ecosystem that has not seen their like in several millenia. Not sure how these poor animal(s), absent of any existing community, will be able to learn how to live in this new ecosystem - just because a distant ancestor was capable of living in the proposed environment doesn't mean this genetically engineered creature will be able to. Interesting proposal and the underlying science, but not sure it is a good idea in practicality.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Near as I can tell, they are not resurrecting or even re-creating an actual mammoth. They are tweeking the DNA of asian elphants to be cold tolerant (to be hairy and not sure what else) and to be immune to some sort of herpes virus. And then placing those genetically altered beasts into an ecosystem that has not seen their like in several millenia. Not sure how these poor animal(s), absent of any existing community, will be able to learn how to live in this new ecosystem - just because a distant ancestor was capable of living in the proposed environment doesn't mean this genetically engineered creature will be able to. Interesting proposal and the underlying science, but not sure it is a good idea in practicality.
    I mean, we already know the answer.

Don't know why we wouldn't start with something smaller and more recent like a passenger pigeon instead of jumping straight to the charismatic mega fauna. I've pretty much resigned myself that humans will try shit like this and geoengineering no matter what because some people will always want to play God if we can.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Don't know why we wouldn't start with something smaller and more recent like a passenger pigeon instead of jumping straight to the charismatic mega fauna. I've pretty much resigned myself that humans will try shit like this and geoengineering no matter what because some people will always want to play God if we can.
    Probably easier to destroy a few large genetic mutants that reproduce slowly over a bizzilion flying rats that breed like crazy....

So juicy brontosaurus ribs out of the question?
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=26...follower_video
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I mean, we already know the answer.

First there's oohing and aahing ....... then there's running and screaming.

I for one welcome our new rapidly warming climate. Who likes snow and winter anyway? The ever present smell of smoke is wonderful. Soon these forests will be replaced with pleasing desert as far as the eye can see. I do love Nevada brown.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Near as I can tell, they are not resurrecting or even re-creating an actual mammoth. They are tweeking the DNA of asian elphants to be cold tolerant (to be hairy and not sure what else) and to be immune to some sort of herpes virus.
    Or maybe those scientists should just learn to keep their dirty dicks away from the poor elephants

Bring the dodo back!
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

The Nazis tried to bring back aurochs

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ion-180962739/

Is there anything the Nazi's didn't experiment with?

Neo-nazis want to bring back tRump.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    snowboarding

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Making midgets?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.