Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    This is going to ramble fair warning

My first job out of college was a delivery driver at Jimmy John’s on MLK in Austin. (? Well heck Yeah, I got pretty lucky because I knew the manager so he hooked me up with the gig.)

Left the apartment to cover the 30 minute commute down MOPAC and be at work by my normal 10 minutes late for the 10 am shift. Traffic was normal because wtf else do you do but hustle off to the fucking cube farm while the shits going down.

I thought maybe they’d close the shop and I could go home. Kinda forgot that we’re supposed to be serving food and a restaurant should be the last place to close. Thought of myself as a little important for just a brief moment. Like “I’m going to work and a plane could crash down onto my truck but people need food so…”

Meanwhile my dad was stuck at DIA trying to get back to IAH. Rented a car and drove it.

Then, just a fucking normal day at the sandwich shop. I don’t know what I expected but it seemed so fucking lame to me at the time.

“Terrible thing huh?”
    “My god”
    “Well, I’ll have a gargantuan extra Mayo and a large drink”
    “You got it!”

I’m guessing a few top dogs and white shoes stayed home or went home but the place was just as fucking busy as normal. All the normal office folks came to get food for their room or team or whatever; orders went out for delivery. Austin was open for business to my recollection. UT and the government obviously shut but everybody else was out making those dollars.

Later it would hit me more. Like probably one of those people I encountered and resented for just going on about their day had lost someone close but didn’t know it until later. eve.n being as far away as we were, I served enough fucking sandwiches and drove enough miles that day it had to be true.

I don’t recall if the commute home was busy or not. Shit got real the next day when I was sober again and the assessments were taking place. Holy shit. Many good people lost that day. Fuck.

Remember when we killed that ugly fucker and dumped his lanky ass in the sea. That. Was. Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Funny, was it business as usual across your city that day?

All our office (WA, OR, AK) immediately announced that they were closing and IIRC we remained closed for a couple of days.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Just stopping by to day 60 minutes was brutal and necessary last night.

I wept.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Just stopping by to day 60 minutes was brutal and necessary last night.

I wept.
    Yep. I linked it upthread……Required viewing.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

My company issued Motorola flip phone worked fine from the cockpit.

20 Years Later.....09/11

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Funny, was it business as usual across your city that day?

All our office (WA, OR, AK) immediately announced that they were closing and IIRC we remained closed for a couple of days.
    No I wouldn’t say business as usual. Gov and university were the biggest employers and it’s the capitol so yeah lots of people home for two days. I think maybe it just felt that way to me, working at a sandwich place. By the time it got to my level of work, no difference, I guess people need to eat. Plenty people working and commuting anyway. It’s more like the city shifted down a gear and kept on going. I think I felt some resentment maybe because at 22 years old I kinda thought the world was gonna stand still for a second. Don’t work that way I guess.

And for no reason, here’s a pic facing west outside of Lyons, CO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3304.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	948.1 KB 
ID:	385280

Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 09-13-2021 at 02:02 PM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I was outside Pittsburgh at the time in college, after I saw the second plane hit I started drinking a 40oz of Budweiser on the roof deck of my apartment with everyone else.

In watching the immediate local news coverage out of Shanksville they had a reporter talking to farmers in the area an hour or two after it happened. A farmer described hearing a boom and looking up to see flight 93 doing a nose dive with a trail of smoke.

Never heard that report again. I’m 100% not a conspiracy theorist but part of me does think it was shot down and covered up. No disrespect to anyone. Why is there no radio communications from the cockpit after they rushed the terrorists? There were only 3. Shanksville is also the perfect place to put down a plane. There were fighter jets in the area too, it would of been crazy to not bring it down knowing where it was headed, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I asked a question....others attacked.
    Serious/on-topic question: do you think having personally witnessed a shocking and violent attack makes you more sensitive to feeling attacked? Has it expanded your definition of "attack" or do you feel more personally targeted, or in any other ways? There's a bigger societal version of that question, obviously, but I'm curious about your personal take.

Funny, don't have a lot of memories of that day, working in the companies office, I remember I was wearing a suit because we still did then. Remember someone saying it happend, thought "no way", then about 3-4m later, we had a large screen TV in our conference room, and the news was going. Slowly the entire office collected in that conference room and we watched. to lunch time.

And I guess like a lot of places, it was eerily quiet. Nobody spoke.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I was outside Pittsburgh at the time in college, after I saw the second plane hit I started drinking a 40oz of Budweiser on the roof deck of my apartment with everyone else.

In watching the immediate local news coverage out of Shanksville they had a reporter talking to farmers in the area an hour or two after it happened. A farmer described hearing a boom and looking up to see flight 93 doing a nose dive with a trail of smoke.

Never heard that report again. I’m 100% not a conspiracy theorist but part of me does think it was shot down and covered up. No disrespect to anyone. Why is there no radio communications from the cockpit after they rushed the terrorists? There were only 3. Shanksville is also the perfect place to put down a plane. There were fighter jets in the area too, it would of been crazy to not bring it down knowing where it was headed, right?

According to the transcript of the call from that plane the hijackers claimed to have a bomb and the passengers intended to attack him first so maybe there was a bomb and it detonated? Cheney did give the order to take the plane down but I'm not sure it was acted on.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

According to the transcript of the call from that plane the hijackers claimed to have a bomb and the passengers intended to attack him first so maybe there was a bomb and it detonated? Cheney did give the order to take the plane down but I'm not sure it was acted on.
    Good point.

I always figured the bombs were fake but not sure why I thought that.

They scrambled two jets from the Air National Guard, but they were not armed, the plan was to ram the jet at the ends and bring it down but the passenger revolt pushed the hijackers to ditch the jet.

Why scramble unarmed jets during an attack to ram a plane and kill the jet pilots?

Doesn’t make any sense. Unless they were extremely unprepared.

They launched what/who was available. So yeah, unprepared. The interviews with those pilots were eerie (like any other). Here's a current one:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/fighter-pi...ry?id=79898230

1. There's no reason to cover up shooting down U93 as it would have been completely justified.
    2. Eye witness reports are so unreliable as to be meaningless.
    3. MH17 was shot down at cruising altitude with the wreckage spread over a 19 mi2 area in the middle of a war zone, yet investigators were able to determine exactly what type of missile brought it down. If U93 was shot down there would have been evidence and it's implausible that that evidence would still be effectively suppressed to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    They launched what/who was available. So yeah, unprepared. The interviews with those pilots were eerie (like any other). Here's a current one:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/fighter-pi...ry?id=79898230
    Thanks.

What a terrible scenario.

I was in the south Bronx then at Hunts Point Market. My wife had flown Sunday, the afternoon before from JFK-SFO, leaving me w our 3 year old daughter. There was an industry dinner scheduled for Windows on the World for Tuesday night and I had delivered some produce for the dinner to the WTC on Thursday morning. Had things gone on a different schedule me or my wife may have been directly involved. My wife finally made it home after a week in SFO, which was probably one of the most challenging weeks of fatherhood for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Serious/on-topic question: do you think having personally witnessed a shocking and violent attack makes you more sensitive to feeling attacked? Has it expanded your definition of "attack" or do you feel more personally targeted, or in any other ways? There's a bigger societal version of that question, obviously, but I'm curious about your personal take.
    good question...i need some time to ponder it a bit actually....fuck you for making me think...

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    1. There's no reason to cover up shooting down U93 as it would have been completely justified.
    3. MH17 was shot down at cruising altitude with the wreckage spread over a 19 mi2 area in the middle of a war zone, yet investigators were able to determine exactly what type of missile brought it down. If U93 was shot down there would have been evidence and it's implausible that that evidence would still be effectively suppressed to this day.
    There's still evidence about the JFK assasination suppressed.

This thread reminds me of the Rescue Me episode where Lou, Kenny Shea, goes to the 9/11 support group to read his poetry.

Implausible? I’d say unlikely evidence has been withheld but it’s plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    This thread reminds me of the Rescue Me episode where Lou, Kenny Shea, goes to the 9/11 support group to read his poetry.

Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Classic.
    You know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You know what I mean?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4sytvb

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    There's still evidence about the JFK assasination suppressed.
    Different era, much smaller body of evidence.

Implausible? I’d say unlikely evidence has been withheld but it’s plausible.
    You're confusing "plausible" with "possible."

Different era, much smaller body of evidence.

You're confusing "plausible" with "possible."
    Ah yes. My fail there.

Public school