Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Alpinist - Marc-André Leclerc

I'm really looking forward to watching. Hopefully they have a streaming release as well since currently I'm not real interested in sitting in a theater.

mind = blown

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

On Amazon Prime now.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Oh nice, i've been wanting to watch this

Totally worth the $6 or so to stream it. You're really hanging it out there if Alex Honnold thinks you're pushing the envelope.

The Alpinist - Marc-André Leclerc

Holy shit. This guy is nuts.

Lots of scenes hard to watch due to pucker factor.

And how does he get down? They never show that part.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by AK47bp; 11-08-2021 at 12:24 AM.

He had a rope in the backpack for rappelling in most of those climbs. Probably some down climbing too.

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    Totally worth the $6 or so to stream it. You're really hanging it out there if Alex Honnold thinks you're pushing the envelope.
    100%, really enjoyable film. I far preferred it to Free Solo.

Very excited to watch this, and glad it's on prime.

I heard that he had a blog and that his writing was very good. Did any of you read it?

Holy cow. That was some of the most spectacular imagery, story I've seen in a while.

This film was spectacular. Absolutely chill inducing and jaw dropping, and an amazing story. Amazing views and cinematography throughout. Top 3 (newer) climbing films for me right now.

Hugest ballz

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    Very excited to watch this, and glad it's on prime.

I heard that he had a blog and that his writing was very good. Did any of you read it?
    Yup. When he was a kid starting out he'd post really good trip reports and we'd all be blown away when we realized he was 14 , 15 years old

Here's one when he soloed the NW couloir of Cheam at 15 years old https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...#/topics/24008

His high school grad he soloed Cheams N face. we all pitched in and got him an Ast class

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...s/29688?page=1

I was just reading through the 2019 AAJ - Brette Harrington is all over its pages with significant climbs. Also, in case anyone else is curious, no relation to climber Emily Harrington.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Lee. Really incredible to read his experience. What a beautiful, thoughtful soul.

RIP.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

That was possibly the best climbing movie I've seen. If really captured the drive for and reward from soloing and alpine climbing in general. I'm glad I did that when I was younger and that I made it through alive.

To paraphrase his mother's eulogy: "People have big plans and dreams but they hold back. What would you do if you weren't held back?" The brightest lights burn out all too soon, sometimes.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

This is probably the first movie in a long time that really prompts some of my own self reflection. Just amazing.

He was such a calm, confident and fluid climber, what a beautiful movie. I couldn't watch it all at once, some of the scenes were really intense but the photography is stunning. I've already started watching again, he seemed like a really special soul and his mother's words at the end brought me to tears. Good stuff.

Just watched this as well. I have mixed feelings. Reminds me of the saying that there are bold climbers and there are old climbers, but there aren't any bold and old climbers. He was doing what he loved and he clearly had an insane amount of raw talent and athletic ability. But I worry that it puts unrealistically dreams in the minds of other people, idolizing taking exorbitant risk.

Was it selfish of him to take these risks, leaving his girlfriend and mom behind? There's no right answer to that I think, everyone has to choose their own path. I just know that I often see people skiing stuff midwinter on Instagram that just looks foolish (to me). I mean it looks awesome, but I just think to myself - I wouldn't be willing to take that risk.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Was it selfish of him to take these risks, leaving his girlfriend and mom behind?
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but if you're an adult without kids or other dependents you don't really owe anyone else anything. Of course, that doesn't make it less sad.

On your general musings on risk, alpine climbing has a level of un-mitigatable risk that even Honnold's soloing doesn't carry. If you really hang it out there like Leclerc, Steck, et al. did your luck is going to run out eventually.