Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Back when the West was settled, the pioneers used to take their kids on arduous journeys into the then unknown in all sorts of weather and teeming with hostile natives. If it wasn't for these brave parents and children we wouldn't have places like Vail, Aspen, or Sun Valley. I don't even know if TGR would exist today.
    Nor places like Tahoe Donner and Donner Ski Ranch. Named for those brave parents and children of the past and where our children learn skiing today. And in a pinch, kids would eat those hostile natives (actually friendly rescuers, but meat is meat). Allegedly. Kids these days are soft.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Nor places like Tahoe Donner and Donner Ski Ranch. Named for those brave parents and children of the past and where our children learn skiing today. And in a pinch, kids would eat those hostile natives (actually friendly rescuers, but meat is meat). Allegedly. Kids these days are soft.
    Finally, someone here gets it. Yeah they didn't make it but it inspired others. Maybe next year a 4 yr old will do the AT.

Did Lewis say to Clark, "Hey Clark, do you think this whole trip is a bad idea and maybe we should just stay home?"

I don't think so, they went to the store, got a bunch of camping shit, some horses and donkeys and set about discovering.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    An under appreciated reference right there.

Finally, someone here gets it. Yeah they didn't make it but it inspired others. Maybe next year a 4 yr old will do the AT.

Did Lewis say to Clark, "Hey Clark, do you think this whole trip is a bad idea and maybe we should just stay home?"

I don't think so, they went to the store, got a bunch of camping shit, some horses and donkeys and set about discovering.
    And, Sacajawea.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Srsly - that show was GOLD. I was kind of disappointed they only did 3 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Srsly - that show was GOLD. I was kind of disappointed they only did 3 seasons.
    More like 2.5 seasons. But, better than dragging on longer that it should have, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    <snip>
    More like 2.5 seasons. But, better than dragging on longer that it should have, I suppose.
    Yeah - that's how I took it... wrap it up before the writing starts to go downhill...

Parents seem like fucking beauty pageant moms. Also, the mom can't write: "Today's the day another puzzle piece of filling our lives full of extraordinary stories fell into place"

I realize I'm an old fart, but if the only reason to do something is so you can humblebrag about it on Instagram, you need some therapy.

Wonder whats up next for the kid?
    Bataan Death March?
    That'll be pittoresque for the parents to Instagram.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

My parents took me to live in Korea when I was that age.. for about the same period of time. I remember a few things pretty vividly, but the vast majority of it is just a blur. Dad was up at the 38th parallel. Mom had us in an apartment high rise that towered over one of the poorest slums I've ever seen. My sister and I were free range kids roaming the huts of those slums all day when not in school. One time I got on a bus by myself.. a 5 year old and spoke no Korean. Our translator maid had taken us to a flea market type place and I sort of remembered how to get there. But didn't remember how to get back. The bus driver figured it out though when I was bawling and clueless. If I hadn't cut my hand with the straight edge razor I bought there (thinking it was a switchblade) mom would have never known I took off on my own and went there. 'Murikans Expats FTW!!!

So, ya taking the kid on the AT for 8 months is kinda extreme. But in the middle of the pandemic it was probably safer than staying local and school was a total shitshow washout for most people so missing kindergarten LOL....
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I'm more impressed they put up with each other for 8 months. Did they have any alone time?
    Did Dad ever go out to the corner bar for the football game?

I wandered off on my own (or got left as I always told my parents as I got older) on no fewer than 4 occasions in public places/cities as a kid. I didn't die. What's the big deal with this kid?

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    I'm more impressed they put up with each other for 8 months. Did they have any alone time?
    Did Dad ever go out to the corner bar for the football game?
    This is what I thought about too. Did they glamp it a bit in places? I mean, you still have to do the hike, but it seems like maybe a day or two every other week off the trail might be helpful with a kid.

This is probably way easier with a 5 yr old. My teenager wouldn't make it for 1 day without Snapchat.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

This is probably way easier with a 5 yr old. My teenager wouldn't make it for 1 day without Snapchat.
    Exactly right.

5 y/o Completes the AT

We were talking about Jimmy Chin’s kitchen in another thread, which reminded me that Jimmy’s daughter, Marina, just climbed the Grand Teton at age 7.
    He chronicled some of it on instagram etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTpIE6Fr...dium=copy_link

“my only concern was that she was showing mutant characteristics”

and edit to add that I don’t believe she is the youngest to summit the grand. just a beast already.
    skid luxury

So we have 7 year olds climbing the Grand and adults playing with legos. What's this forum coming to? What's this country coming to?

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    We were talking about Jimmy Chin’s kitchen in another thread, which reminded me that Jimmy’s daughter, Marina, just climbed the Grand Teton at age 7.
    He chronicled some of it on instagram etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTpIE6Fr...dium=copy_link

“my only concern was that she was showing mutant characteristics”

and edit to add that I don’t believe she is the youngest to summit the grand. just a beast already.
    Name:  11-14-21 Jimmy Chin Daughter.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  88.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    So we have 7 year olds climbing the Grand and adults playing with legos. What's this forum coming to? What's this country coming to?
    You have no right to speak. You can't even dress yourself properly or lift a toilet seat.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

And you can’t even find your fucking spare key
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    And you can’t even find your fucking spare key
    Was too busy looking for my teeth. But all is golden.

Well, a decent reply.
    Cheers.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Well, a decent reply.
    Cheers.
    Can't find my beer!

So, did this kid stab anybody yet?

Is that the natural progression?

Single male on the AT? Isn’t that a hard yes?

@BMills: In my experience, yes.