Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Not really. A guy can move around that hill accessing some great terrain and really limiting his time on the cat tracks. I can see how a noob to that place could assume that by not knowing the runs or how to get from A to B very well.
    At $200 a lift ticket I don't think I'll ever bother getting past noob status.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Don't know when you visited last but the line at the bottom of 6-Shooter has been an absolute nightmare the past 2 seasons. Its worth giving up those last turns on the 8-Ball and the long flat cruise to the bottom and just walk back up the Stillwater road.
    Spent two days up there last year after a 3-4 year hiatus and yes the six shooter was an absolute mess. Those two days reminded me why I spent 95% of my time skiing laps on challenger when I was up there regularly.

Checking out the trail map and I see 11 lifts now for real estate access only?! Pandering to the ultra wealthy? Feeding off YC? Is YC even operating?

From the bottom of Headwaters can you ski over the ridge to access Iron Horse or Challenger?

It looks like Six Shooter is trying to cover at least 2-3 chairs worth of terrain

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Checking out the trail map and I see 11 lifts now for real estate access only?! Pandering to the ultra wealthy? Feeding off YC? Is YC even operating?

From the bottom of Headwaters can you ski over the ridge to access Iron Horse or Challenger?

It looks like Six Shooter is trying to cover at least 2-3 chairs worth of terrain
    I'm probably not the best source, but you can connect from the top of the six shooter to challenger or drop down to iron horse. But you have to hike the road a little ways to get back to the top of the six shooter from the bottom of the headwaters or go to the bottom of the six shooter (couple of good huts to stop at though on the way). Also, it is a short sidestep from the six shooter to the headwater lift.

There is a way to traverse over to the Iron Horse lift from the bottom of the Headwaters. Somebody posted a map of it in the Montana thread last year. Can't find it but I think this is the route. Then from the top of Iron Horse you traverse over to Challenger and take that back up to the start of the HW hike. Basically saves you from having to wait in line and ride Six Shooter, instead you ride Iron Horse which almost never has any line, and it's a lot shorter too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	traverse.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	815.1 KB 
ID:	387950

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    There is a way to traverse over to the Iron Horse lift from the bottom of the Headwaters. Somebody posted a map of it in the Montana thread last year. Can't find it but I think this is the route. Then from the top of Iron Horse you traverse over to Challenger and take that back up to the start of the HW hike. Basically saves you from having to wait in line and ride Six Shooter, instead you ride Iron Horse which almost never has any line, and it's a lot shorter too.

Name:	traverse.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	815.1 KB 
ID:	387950
    This is correct. And you can also hop over from Headwaters to Challenger if you're farther up the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Some of those RE lifts also access fresh snow days after the storm if you don't mind flatter tree lines and the occaisional angry shout from a homeowner. YC is alive and well with owners spending millions on new construction and renovations creating the line of trucks every morning and evening on US 191 from Belgrade to Big Sky.

Yep, all both points. Y/C is just completing a 1200 acre expansion with a lot of greens, some blue and black terrain and if they pull off the land swap they are working on an additional 500 acres of Challenger style terrain that faces north and looks to catch a lot of snow. Too bad its no open to everyone.

And the line on that map contains a lot more uphill than it looks like on the map.

ETA:The memory banks kicked in and FWIW, back in the day and before Headwaters was a thing we used to have terrain open as far out as Jack and Rock creek. Route back was a traverse that takes you through Rams Glade and kicks you out at the bottom of the steep section of Elkhorn for an easy ski to the bottom of IH.
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 10-09-2021 at 07:20 AM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Met up with some Bozeman friends last night. I was told that Lost Trail is a great mountain. I am wondering that whether you guys prefer Lost Trail (TH-Su) or Maverick Mountain if I have only one day for a smalll(ish) mom and pop-type mountain with great snow/terrain????

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 1.21.46 PM.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	389446

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 1.20.09 PM.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	389445
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 12.52.09 PM.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	389444  
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

LT gets more snow.

I always liked Discovery Basin a lot. They can be iffy on snow, but the Limelight lift terrain is the tits.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Lost Trail is fun, I liked the graded trees off chair 2 plus the zones near the "Whiteroom" and "Area 51" had some cool steep trees and weird cliffy stuff that was fun.

Haven't skied Maverick.

Echoing Buster on Discovery Basin. If they are getting snow, the Limelight terrain is up there with anywhere in terms of cool rowdy terrain.

I'd wait and see where it's snowing at the time. You shouldn't have a problem renting a last-minute hotel room near(ish) to any of those areas.

I can't imagine Maverick would be as good as LT.

there is a food drive at the hot springs in 4 corners that i get 2 day passes for every 10 food items i bring in, so 20 ramen at .20$(4 bucks) get me 2 day passes. it lasts 10 days, i'll do it most everyday accumulating 20 day passes for the hot springs to be used by all for mt bbi 22.

fkna!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    A gourmet buffet featuring elk chili killed by a maggot will be provided.
    anonymous maggot just returned from hunting camp and got skunked. Still several weeks to go in the season, so hope is not lost.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I'll be out with the rifle most of next week and have a couple B tags too. Got a spot in Bridger Canyon that's a friend of a friend's for hail mary shoulder season cow culling if need be. I'll be able to donate meat to the Maggot cause hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    anonymous maggot just returned from hunting camp and got skunked. Still several weeks to go in the season, so hope is not lost.
    Yep, I got skunked for the first time in six years no elk and no deer during the first week of rifle season. I got a line on a fat white tail doe prowling around some rich dude's private island in NW Wisconsin so it isn't over yet. Plan B is a delicious elk tag vegan chili for BBI.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Got a spot in Bridger Canyon that's a friend of a friend's for hail mary shoulder season cow culling if need be.
    You just let me know if more culling guns are needed, good buddy, and I will be there.

Bump! Will be there Saturday and Sunday.

Have fun with your circle jerk, twats.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Are you jealous you’re not in the middle?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Woke up on the wrong side of the wax ring, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Woke up on the wrong side of the wax ring, eh?
    Don't worry, mommy and daddy bought the permit for it.

Looks like I’m showing up at the tail end of this fun, crashing with a buddy I’ve known since I was 14. I’ll keep an eye out and see what transpires.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

I'm contemplating a Montana road trip and forgot about this, I'm going to have to try to pull it off otherwise my potential stops are:
    Lookout Pass
    Discovery Basin
    Skibowl
    Blacktail Mt
    Big Mt
    Bridger Bowl
    Big Sky
    Lost Trail
    Great Divide
    Showdown
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”