Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The OP wanted the best hope of rejecting snow from sticking to his top sheets and a ceramic coating is his best bet. NOTHING will eliminate it from doing so but a ceramic coating is the best and longest lasting option regardless of top sheet finish. Done beating a dead horse but hereís two more with water beading on them.

Cheers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82810478-2B29-40D0-A471-70036EB8DFE8.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	927.0 KB 
ID:	385255
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5CF710A2-8335-4C02-A5C7-5B244A5B9B59.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	902.1 KB 
ID:	385256

No dead horse to beat. Chill out dude!
    You likened ski topsheet to gelcoat, automotive clear or single stage automotive paint. It's not
    Also I asked if you have tried this in winter, or are you speculating like the rest of us?

Top sheets are made from Polyamide(PA) nylon, ABS, PBT and UHMW etc which are similar to the properties used in polyurethane car paint/clear coat, thermoplastic urethane in Paint Protection Film(PPF) or thermosetting polymers used in Gel Coat. Removing swirls or protecting in any of these use the same steps and that's why I can seamlessly use the same processes and products detailing a vehicle's paint, PPF, headlights etc as I do on a gel coat boat hull or a scratched top sheet of a ski. Many companies sell the exact same wax/sealants in different bottles with labels for boats and another for automobiles that is the exact same product to the unknowledgeable.

The 35 years I've spent detailing thousands of vehicles has seen huge improvements over the years in compounds/polishes to restore the finish(rubbing compound obsolete 30 years ago) and in the last 12 years, ceramic coatings have arrived to change the way detailers protect the finish after polishing.

The suggestions of the original 303 would offer SOME protection to the above finishes but it's definitely not the best option. 303 actually makes a spray wax/instant detailer that would be better on paint/top sheets but again this type of product doesn't last that long, so more for quick for touch ups. A liquid car wax would offer a few months of protection but synthetic sealants like those from Collonite would offer much longer lasting(6 months maybe) protection. Before we had ceramic coatings, Collonite was the durability king and would be my suggestion for treating top sheets if you didn't want to spend the money for a ceramic coating.
    Snow isn't going to magically fly off your top sheets with any product including ceramic but it is the longest lasting and slickest available. So your best hope for stomping your foot at the top of the chairlift and removing chair lift snow or while touring.

I've polished skis and used sealants and now ceramic coatings on my skis for years and as seen in those pics, it still beads over a year later on those Moment Wildcats. You'll notice many top sheets using a semi rough or textured surface and that's similar to Matte finishes or vinyl on vehicles in that surface swirls are far less obvious so its perfect for a ski to still look good after lots of use. Factory Matte car paint still has traditional clear coat but that clear has matting and texturizing materials that create the hazy appearance. Textures like that you do not polish as it would make it shiny and waxes would temporarily smooth the surface and create a glossy look. Ceramic coatings can be used on matte paint or top sheet finishes to protect them without affecting the look much.

Don't think I'd buy a ceramic coating just to do skis if I wasn't planning on using it on a vehicle first and using the leftovers on the skis.

I said 303 was better than armor all. That's my experience. I've never put either on my skis.
    I just use zardoz.
    I still don't think all those materials you listed up there are all that similar, but that's cool. I mean, they're all plastic, but that flexible gloss nylon top/uhmw/abs don't quite sand n buff, to varying degrees, the same as those sprayable finishes.
    I'd try the ceramic. Looks good to me! And lord knows my vehicle needs some detailing.
    Last edited by tuco; 09-15-2021 at 07:12 PM.

I go thru jugs of 303 ever year on latex drysuit seals, its great stuff cuz it protects/ prolongs latex drysuit seals

303 is THE # 1 best thing you can do to cut your drysuit maintenance costs but I don't know that I would bother with it on a ski top ??

given the choice between a case of beer and a spray bottle of 303 yer ADHD dirtbag paddler always bought the case of beer instead of the 303

but the SAR organizations for whom I fix suits don't appear to be any smarter

IME try Rainex or armour all but it will all be short lasting and it will make your skis slippery so you drop them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Only reason 303 was mentioned was because someone said armor all. 303 is a better product. Not saying either should be put on skis.
    I wouldnt put either on mine.
    I'll probably just stick w/ a light zardozing

Have had my share of car interiors that were covered with shiny Armour All type products and have had to use cleaners to remove it. Was very common years ago to use it on everything but thankfully most people have moved on to higher quality products like 303.

I started to use stuff on skis as I store my detailing gear for the winter just feet away from my ski tuning bench so gave them a go and worked just the same as on cars. Luckily many manufacturers have switched to textured top sheets which donít show scratches and donít require polishing anymore. Still have some pairs that have a shiny, glossy top sheet that are easily scratched and require polishing to remove.

Ceramic coatings are awesome on vehicles in how slick they are and how long they last so definitely recommended! For ski top sheets I would just use whatever car paint sealants you have around whenever you happen to be tuning your skis.

Does autocorrect change Armor All to Armour All if yer narth of the border or something?

Hydrophobic Coating for Skis

Hhhhhhhh

I guess it does Auto fill with the u added. Lol

Even my phone knows it sucks!

Where can I get schooled on ceramic coatings? My fiberglass camp trailer that needs a wax job sounds like a good candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Does autocorrect change Armor All to Armour All if yer narth of the border or something?
    its an entirely different product up here eh

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Where can I get schooled on ceramic coatings? My fiberglass camp trailer that needs a wax job sounds like a good candidate.
    Lots of videos online on how to apply it but itís similar to a normal wax or sealant application. You use far less product(droplets per car panel) and work in smaller sections levelling any high spots within a few minutes before moving onto the next section.

There are no cleaners or polish in ceramic coatings so the surface must be cleaned and polished first before applying. It doesnít eliminate scratches, it just protects the surface so prep is key.

How large is the trailer and how old is it? Do you have a polisher at all?

Usually youíd use a polish with a buffer on the trailer after washing and then apply the ceramic coating. Optimum Opti Gloss Coat was the original ceramic coating and find itís still one of the easiest to apply. Lots of reviews and application videos online of it.

Armorial Tire Shine

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    its an entirely different product up here eh
    Autocourrect?

possibly, or maybe i'm fuking with you