Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ski Binding drill set for sale.

Full set of ski binding drill bits for mounting your own skis. This set will mount any ski binding combo available except for kids skiers.

Includes the following bits:

Three 3.6x9.5 bits
    One 3.8x9 bit
    Two 4.1x9 bits.

SOLD!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1631057181.285934.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	384756
    Last edited by Gunder; 09-13-2021 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Full set of ski binding drill bits for mounting your own fucking skis.
    FIFY, carry on and GLWS.

Just curious. When is 9.5mm needed? I know it’s a thing but I feel like I almost always have drilled 9.0 so maybe doing something wrong. Tech talk topic but maybe helping w sale.

Ahem, I would have expected a better photo.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Just curious. When is 9.5mm needed? I know it’s a thing but I feel like I almost always have drilled 9.0 so maybe doing something wrong. Tech talk topic but maybe helping w sale.

Ahem, I would have expected a better photo.
    I phone is what it is. Big camera only comes out for work. 9.5 is generally for skis with non metal top sheets. In reality both can be used interchangeably, especially if you properly countersink the holes. Remember metal skis should also be tapped.
    Last edited by Gunder; 09-13-2021 at 10:36 PM.

So, for most of us, (5) bits for $84.00 (The 6th 3.6x9.5 isn't very valuable to most of us, even the ski nerds we are...)

That works out to ~$17 per bit.

New from Skimo is $15.
    Yeah, Skimo price doesn't include shipping, but if you buy (5) bits, (>$50) it does.

IMO (and perhaps it's just me) these would have to be a lot cheaper to be worth buying vs new.
    [Edited to add. I read that wrong. I guess there's (3) 3.6 x 9.5's which certainly doesn't improve the value any.]

I phone is what it is. Big camera only comes out for work. 9.5 is generally for skis with metal top sheets. In reality both can be used interchangeably, especially if you properly countersink the holes. Remember metal skis should also be tapped.
    Got it. Thanks. Metal was my guess. Total joke on the photo. GLWS.
    Uno mas

4.1mm is for skis with metal topsheets (and DPS or other skis with super thick carbon tops), 3.6mm is for everything else. Metal skis need a bigger drill because the material doesn't have as much give around the hole to accommodate the root diameter of the screw.

Pretty sure 9.5mm is the depth standard for all adult skis, but 9mm would be fine too since screw insertion is usually 7 - 8mm.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    So, for most of us, (5) bits for $84.00 (The 6th 3.6x9.5 isn't very valuable to most of us, even the ski nerds we are...)

That works out to ~$17 per bit.

New from Skimo is $15.
    Yeah, Skimo price doesn't include shipping, but if you buy (5) bits, (>$50) it does.

IMO (and perhaps it's just me) these would have to be a lot cheaper to be worth buying vs new.
    [Edited to add. I read that wrong. I guess there's (3) 3.6 x 9.5's which certainly doesn't improve the value any.]
    Ok price police. They are sold.
    Last edited by Gunder; 09-13-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    4.1mm is for skis with metal topsheets (and DPS or other skis with super thick carbon tops), 3.6mm is for everything else. Metal skis need a bigger drill because the material doesn't have as much give around the hole to accommodate the root diameter of the screw.

Pretty sure 9.5mm is the depth standard for all adult skis, but 9mm would be fine too since screw insertion is usually 7 - 8mm.
    Exactly. I've seen both 9mm and 9.5mm. No idea whether either is standard, but both are fine for adult skis, no metal layer.

Think 99% of skis say either 3.6x9.5mm or 4.1x9.5mm on the topsheet. I've seen kids skis say 3.6x7.5mm and some thin metal Kastles say 4.1x7.5mm.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Exactly. I've seen both 9mm and 9.5mm. No idea whether either is standard, but both are fine for adult skis, no metal layer.
    At the end of the day .5mm in wood working is usuallyvwell within acceptable tolerances. In metal on my Bridgeport mill .5mm is way off. So it all depends on the precision of the materials you are working with. Skis by nature are a relatively soft material so .5mm is not going to make a big difference. Chances are there is more variation in the tolerance of the bindings plastic base than that. Plus properly countersinking the holes makes a much bigger difference as most shops skip that step. Not countersinking causes the top sheets to pull up and that’s usually 1.5~2mm in height!

4.1 is standard for most metal skis as it accommodates an alpine thread tap. I find in non metal skis the drill recs are all over the map as most of the Indy mfgs haven’t done the actual testing and just spec one of the standard bits. I’ve always defaulted to a narrower bit in softer core skis and a wider bit in skis that use firmer materials. That’s based on pull out tests I did way back in engineering school when I was working on CF skis. I think someone else posted a similar test since. One thing that affects the pull out strength is using a wire mesh in the top sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Think 99% of skis say either 3.6x9.5mm or 4.1x9.5mm on the topsheet. I've seen kids skis say 3.6x7.5mm and some thin metal Kastles say 4.1x7.5mm.
    Kid skis are always 7.5mm in depth so you don’t drill through them.

I use 4.0 for telemark mounts as I believe the hardware is larger than standard alpine mount screws. I only speak from the challenge of hand cranking 22Design mounting hardware into 3.6mm holes vs. 4.0mm. Am I gonna die?

Sorry to have tech talked G’s FS thread.
    Uno mas

I use 4.0 for telemark mounts as I believe the hardware is larger than standard alpine mount screws. I only speak from the challenge of hand cranking 22Design mounting hardware into 3.6mm holes vs. 4.0mm. Am I gonna die?

Sorry to have tech talked G’s FS thread.
    Every “modern” (its hard to use the word modern with anything Tele related) Tele setup I’ve seen is mounted with standard alpine screws. The diameter of the hole is solely dependent on the ski core density as I posted above with the exception of metal laminate skis needed the 4.1 diameter bit. So you are probably fine as long as they are not foam core skis, but a 3.8 may be a better fit depending on this skis.

Every “modern” (its hard to use the word modern with anything Tele related) Tele setup I’ve seen is mounted with standard alpine screws. The diameter of the hole is solely dependent on the ski core density as I posted above with the exception of metal laminate skis needed the 4.1 diameter bit. So you are probably fine as long as they are not foam core skis, but a 3.8 may be a better fit depending on this skis.
    Thanks. I just read 22D recommends following the ski manufacture’s recommendation (3.5-4.1mm) so my theory on screw size may be off. I haven’t ripped an AXL out over the last ~10 years of using them so knocking on wood but may play around with a narrower bit next mount. I only have 3.5 and 4.1 I believe. I will take your 3.8mm for $15 shipped if you decide to start separating the set. Or if the buyer doesn’t want a 3.8mm I will take it off their hands.
    Uno mas

Pm coming….drilled some skis today with a dull bit…need new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Pm coming….drilled some skis today with a dull bit…need new ones.
    Bet’cha don’t need a 3.8
    Uno mas

Bet’cha don’t need a 3.8
    Ur right…but I don’t think he’s splitting it up.

I have an order in at SVST for these:
    -4.1/9.5 drill bit
    -3.6/9.5 drill bit
    -3.6/7.5 drill bit

Figured some of Gunders could be my backups….

Ur right…but I don’t think he’s splitting it up.

I have an order in at SVST for these:
    -4.1/9.5 drill bit
    -3.6/9.5 drill bit
    -3.6/7.5 drill bit

Figured some of Gunders could be my backups….
    I’ll send you $15 if you’ll ship me the 3.8mm once in hand.
    Uno mas

I’ll send you $15 if you’ll ship me the 3.8mm once in hand.
    I can just give it to you the next time I’m up….and we’ll have a beer.

I can just give it to you the next time I’m up….and we’ll have a beer.
    On me of course.
    Uno mas

Some good tech talk here. Thanks Gunder.

Bet’cha don’t need a 3.8
    I actually use a 3.8 bit a fair mount. Mostly to pre drill metal skis before stepping up to the larger 4.1 bit that can be a bit tough to punch through on some metal skis. You can also use a 3.6 bit for that as well, but that keeps the 3.6's in good shape.

I also use the 3.8 bit on a few mfg's skis that I won't name, where I have learned over the years, their cores are too soft for the 4.1 they specify and the 3.8 gives more holding.

I actually use a 3.8 bit a fair mount. Mostly to pre drill metal skis before stepping up to the larger 4.1 bit that can be a bit tough to punch through on some metal skis. You can also use a 3.6 bit for that as well, but that keeps the 3.6's in good shape.

I also use the 3.8 bit on a few mfg's skis that I won't name, where I have learned over the years, their cores are too soft for the 4.1 they specify and the 3.8 gives more holding.
    Helpful. Thanks. Funny I had a bitch of a time getting through the Volkl made K2 Kahunas (fairly recently!) w/ a 4.1 and I chalked it up to the amount of metal vs. thinking of starting w a narrower bit. Kinked a toe a couple mm as a result.
    Last edited by Doremite; 09-13-2021 at 04:24 PM.
    Uno mas

Not judging but if you're having trouble getting a 4.1 through metal (unless they're Volants but who has new Volants these days) your bit is dull. So yes I'm judging.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca