Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Wouldn't a Hightower be a stiffer frame than a Tallboy (lateral stiffness/less flexy)?

Just a thought. I have zero ride time on either, just assuming a longer travel bike that's meant to be burlier would be a stiffer frame than a shorter/lighter bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Hightower is my vote.

Thanks for the excellent long shock descriptions!

I pulled the trigger on the TB.

I’m a xc dork who likes smashing chunder. I think it’ll be perfect.

Has anyone successfully long shocked a TB?

The suggested shock is
    190mm i2i
    45mm stroke

So would a long shock be a 190x50?

Anyone have a 190x45 or 190x50 shock for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post

The suggested shock is
    190mm i2i
    45mm stroke

Don't factory specc'd shock come with a tune specific to that bike? A random longer stroke shock might come with a tune inappropriate for that bike.

Not an expert, so I could be off base here.

Possibly, but with supply chain issues and my warranty claim somewhat tenuous, if they say a shock isn’t included, I’m gonna go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Wouldn't a Hightower be a stiffer frame than a Tallboy (lateral stiffness/less flexy)?

Just a thought. I have zero ride time on either, just assuming a longer travel bike that's meant to be burlier would be a stiffer frame than a shorter/lighter bike.
    Almost identical frame layups between the Hightower2 and Tallboy4, negligible weight differences between the two and only half a degree head angle difference. If a person were on an XL (or even some who prefer a longer Large) then the Tallboy would offer the opportunity to lengthen the chainstay if one wanted.

We have way more than enough TBs, HTs, MTs in our crew (fuck are we a SC-centric city), if you have some shuttle/park access then the Hightower would be a nice choice but everyone I know that owns the TB4 is super stoked on it and punches high. If you want a bit more of a direct feel to the bike, more snappy and responsive, less sluggish (due to the shorter rear travel) then TB.

So, the recommendations are either a Hightower or a Tallboy that is built up just like a Hightower..
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

And yes, peeps are long shocking or Cascading the Tallboy.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    So, the recommendations are either a Hightower or a Tallboy that is built up just like a Hightower..
    That sums it up nicely.

Not sure I’m sold on long shocking. I may want to keep it tight and snappy and not stress about tire rub

Not sure I’m sold on long shocking. I may want to keep it tight and snappy and not stress about tire rub
    You can check for potential tire rub by airing down the stock shock and seeing how much clearance you have to spare. The long-shocking is reversible so it's not a big commitment, mostly. Some shocks require a full tear-down to remove the spacer, but it's an easy DIY job on others. If it's the former you have Diaz right there.

I wasn't either. In my case, the shock was only available in the longer stroke. I bought the shock and Manitou sent me a spacer that would reduce the travel. But as DTM pointed out, I deflated the shock and identified that the tire doesn't come in contact with the tube on my frame (It might under a hard compression where all kinds of flexing is going on, though). I put a zip tie at the full compression location (55mm), and have been watching the O-ring in relation to that zip tie over the past year. After all of the riding I've done I'm still a few mms away from full bottom out so I probably won't put the spacer in at all. For the first 51mm of my travel it acts just like the regular HT. It's just the remaining stroke where you get a little extra. I would think that would be the case for the TB4 also.

The suggested shock is
    190mm i2i
    45mm stroke

I might have something 190x50at the shop. I’ll check.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Adding to what Seth said, there are a couple little details to be aware of regarding sag. If you set it at sag based on the original travel (i.e. 30% of 45mm = 13.5mm), it will feel just like the original bike, but simply be able to keep traveling a little bit longer on big hits. Geometry unsagged and sagged will remain the same. If you set sag based on the new stroke length (say, if you can clear a 50mm stroke, then 30% * 50 = 15mm), it will sit a little bit deeper, be a little bit slacker, and be a little bit more plush off the top. But you'll still have a bit more travel.

Alternatively, you could get a Cascade link, get a bit more travel and a bit more progression, and use the original more common shock size.

If you think you want to long shock a TB4, I think you want a Hightower.

I had a TB4 last summer and a V2 Hightower this summer and they’re both great bikes. The TB4 was a little faster on my typical 18 mile XC loop, but the Hightower is more comfortable and I feel a little less tired afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    I might have something 190x50at the shop. I’ll check.

Funny, I’m working in NM, but was gonna hit you up when I get back Friday.

Get the TB4 frame, build it up with what you got for parts and ride the fucker. It’ll be awesome and next thing you know we’ll be skiing

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Get the TB4 frame, build it up with what you got for parts and ride the fucker. It’ll be awesome and next thing you know we’ll be skiing

That’s the plan, but the shock won’t carry-over

I've been riding aTb4 with pike ultimate for a year and love it and my riding style sounds similar to yours. Thought I would want more travel but I'm happy. I got what was available really.
    Both great bikes.

I think 2nd Ave sports rents high towers but sounds like you already decided.

Post about the long shock situation. Cascade link also looks interesting. Following.
    Last edited by jhyatt; 09-09-2021 at 04:10 AM.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Granted I'm a bit late to this party, but I typically think about choices like this as "What tires do I want to run".

Dissector / Rekon (Exo) = Stock Tallboy
    DHF / Aggressor (EXO / EXO+)= Modded Tallboy
    Anything DoubleDown = Hightower

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Granted I'm a bit late to this party, but I typically think about choices like this as "What tires do I want to run".

Dissector / Rekon (Exo) = Stock Tallboy
    DHF / Aggressor (EXO / EXO+)= Modded Tallboy
    Anything DoubleDown = Hightower
    That's a great way to think about it.

There was a bike on the side of the road the other day the boys found... DD assegai on the front exo rekon on the back... all the steeeeeers.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I think I’m currently dissector/aggressor combo.

How dumb am I?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    So many Maxxis fanbois around here.

Gotta teach to the lowest common denominator...

I think I’m currently dissector/aggressor combo.

How dumb am I?
    Not nearly as dumb as the obviously unrideable combo posted above you.