Riding near Lincoln City, OR?

Gonna be visiting in-laws for a week in October, and wondering about the riding options. Only my 2nd time to the PNW, so the (non-riding) spouse and I could probably fill the week with other tourist stuff, but if there are some worthy trails within an hour or so, then I'd look into renting a bike or shipping my own. MTB Project and Trailforks don't show much nearby, but I thought I'd ask here. TIA,
    - Joe

Not MTB related, but my cousins used to run a bakery in Linclon City and I spent a couple of summers out there working for them after HS.

Head north to Neskowin and Pacific City. Great beaches and the Pelican is a waterfront brewpub worth a visit for sure.

In town my cuz was kitchen manager at the Blackfish Cafe. This is going back 20 years, but food was really good then. Google indicates it's still open.. might be worth a shot.
    Last edited by JayPowHound; 09-07-2021 at 02:38 PM.

Heh, not much in Lincoln City area.
    There's some riding around Newport, which is like 25 miles south. No idea if it's any good.

If you want to relax your one hour commute constraint, check out
    - Black Rock (near Dallas OR)
    - Alsea Falls (in Alsea Falls, east of Waldport)
    - MacDonald Forest ( Corvallis)

Black Rock is probably closest to you - less than 90 minutes - and the rowdiest. See https://www.brmba.org/trails/
    Reach out to Forty if interested - he had a big hand in some of the features there

While October may be less crowded, note that you can't usually get from Lincoln City to anywhere in under an hour...

I raced in Newport back in 2004 iirc. Fun loop. No idea if it e en still exists. They had to seriously hack down the blackberries

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Black Rock is probably closest to you - less than 90 minutes - and the rowdiest. See https://www.brmba.org/trails/
    Reach out to Forty if interested - he had a big hand in some of the features there
    Black Rock is worth bringing your bike out for. It's insanely fun. As for it being 'rowdy', I skipped going there for years because everything looked scary to me in the videos online. This year I went anyways and realized they have mellow jump lines that are so, so, so fun and well built. You can roll anything on them , but you can also get decent air with good landings on these supposed green and blue sections. Normally I'd never bother with a green line but up there it's fully different. The vibe up there is cool too, lotsa families biking together, lotsa older digger metal guys, lotsa rippers having fun. Not a ton of people doing the harder lines though.

The bigger pro features got destroyed in a windstorm last year, but they've rebuilt a ton of black sections of lines that have plenty of gnar on them if that's what you prefer.

The road you bike up criss crosses different sections of trails, so the key is to ride one section at a time and bike back up to learn each part. Road is mainly shaded and mellow, it's great.

as said nothing of interest within an hr but lots within 2
    blackrock for freeride, although most wood features are transitioning to dirt
    alsea for flow trail and some new more jumpy stuff
    mac forest for classic woods singletrack outside a cool college town
    marys peak is an overlooked gem of a climb/descent in coast range
    tillamook forest also has some oldschool singletrack as well as ravens ridge for dh shuttle race laps

pacific city (torta) has some new stuff going in, idk whats legally open yet, but 35 miles is planned and some of it will be on the rad side of things

dallas has some great word of mouth trails that are technically legal but not yet mapped, this is where my local scene rides, loamers found here

ive heard of some singletrack around newport, but not heard great things about it

what kinda stuff are you looking for and what would the better half want to do to entertain while you were riding?

Black Rock, fuck yes!!!

Although this time of year, take advantage of the warm weather and early fall swells and surf Pacific City.

Wow - awesome response! Great info, and thanks for the non-MTB beta, JPH. Black Rock sounds fun, and Mary's & Mac, too. As to what sort of riding I was looking for, well..., new-to-me trails in scenic places are always good, whether chunky tech or flow. I'll see about bringing the GG Smash and the leave the SS and DH bikes at home. And it sounds like it's worth keeping the rental car reservation so I can leave for the day and while my better half visits with her brother and family. Thanks mags; you all did not disappoint!