Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Timeshare vacations

Anyone get roped into one of those "free vacations" for listening to the spiel about them trying to sell you a timeshare? Are they that bad of a deal? There is zero chance that we would even think to buy one but a "free" trip is a free trip!

I have done several. The 2 hour "talk" is usually 4-5 hour but if your willing to give it up then go for it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

I've considered it a couple of times but never done the timeshare presentation. I've read that to keep it on schedule for the promised time (60 or 90 min or whatever) to confirm the time with the salesperson, and start a timer on your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

My in-laws do them from time to time. They're retired, no way they buy, but as said free is free

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Got two free tickets to Deer Valley once, but had to fight for them at the end.

Years ago in Jamaica as a poor student I tried to sit through the presentation to get free jet ski time.

Walked out after they went past the scheduled one hour end time with no end in sight.

It’s a hard sell by wearing you down.
    They figure after four hours you might be mentally weak and sign on the dotted line.
    . . .

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

It's a mild form of the same torture they use to elicit false confessions.

We own a point based timeshare with multiple locations we bought in the secondary market about 15 years ago. In their attempt to upgrade us they offer everything from visa cards to additional time and various amenities. I think I have made about $1000 in the last 10 years sitting through them but they are ALWAYS linger than promised and not so pleasant when they learn you have no desire to buy anything. When I tell them times up and no desire to upgrade the tone changes rapidly. Do not go to one of your the type of person that is easily swayed like being told a interest only loan is a good thing or aftermarket auto warranty is a good buy. As soon as they smell blood in the water it's all over .
    You'll be stuck with a week worth $1500 that needs $1000 annual maintenance that you just paid $25-40k.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    It's a mild form of the same torture they use to elicit false confessions.
    Should have used it at Abu Graib
    . . .

A guy I know in Sedona bought a timeshare on ebay for $150 back in the late 2000s. He could swap his weeks for the Sedona resort for any of their other locations across the southwest. And he could go in and use their amenities any time like the pool, hot tub, gym, etc. Whenever he had friends in town who were camping he'd take them to the resort as guests to use the shower and hot tub. It was awesome and he was definitely getting his money's worth out of it. The resort eventually made a rule against locals using facilities outside their allotted weeks, but I think he was grandfathered or something.

No way would I sit through the presentation for free anything. Years ago I bought a prime winter week by Heavenly on ebay for $1. Years later it cost me about $600 to sell it but I was over it at that point. Time shares blow.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Hello Shaggy! I see you are interested in the benefits of fractional ownership! If you’d like to learn more about ownership responsibilities without the pesky formalities of any actual deed, PM me, especially if you enjoy frequenting establishments overseen by the restaurant visionary Sammy Hagar!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Zero interest in buying (wouldn't get financing anyways...) They only bad thing they did say is that you could not be drunk when you went to the presentation (they called it a tour) so that kinda sucks but I figured what the hell 4 days 3 nights at either the Sahara or the Venetian or like 10 other cities and they cover the resort fees so what the hell..

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy433 View Post
    Zero interest in buying (wouldn't get financing anyways...) They only bad thing they did say is that you could not be drunk when you went to the presentation (they called it a tour) so that kinda sucks but I figured what the hell 4 days 3 nights at either the Sahara or the Venetian or like 10 other cities and they cover the resort fees so what the hell..
    Go for it.

Report back with epicTR

Pro tip. Keep asking if they have change for a nickel. At some point they will let you go and you will be winnning!
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy433 View Post
    You'd be surprised what those jackoffs will finance.

I say go. Just be prepared, as mentioned, for tone to change when you say no thanks. Stick to no fucking thanks.

And wtf....they got a breathalyzer at the door. Have a couple drinks and a joint and go in smelling like a bob Marley concert. When people start whispering, do the same so they don't suspect you.

Report back. GoPro would be nice.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Hello Shaggy! I see you are interested in the benefits of fractional ownership! If you’d like to learn more about ownership responsibilities without the pesky formalities of any actual deed, PM me, especially if you enjoy frequenting establishments overseen by the restaurant visionary Sammy Hagar!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gold.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Here’s a few tips:
    -do bring the promotional materials with the commitments
    -confirm said commitments and how you will receive said “free trip” (unless you are already staying)
    -don’t give them your car keys
    -try and schedule your tour late in your trip, if possible.

They start with a group presentation then pair you up with a sales rep that make a 1989 used car sales person seem high class. When you clearly tell them your only there for the free shit and times up you'll get a wide range of responses ranging from a under handed insult of you can't afford shit to grovelling for a potential lead of anyone you know. Last time we stayed at a place my wife couldn't believe I turned down $200 gift card but I just didn't have it in me that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    grovelling for a potential lead of anyone you know.
    Ooh, great way to fuck with your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Ooh, great way to fuck with your enemies.
    I don't hate anyone that much that I know.

Always be closing

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    grovelling for a potential lead of anyone you know.
    Now that sounds like good idea!

The first thing the wife said was can't drink lets smoke then go!!

A GoPro TR would be tits! We'll see if I remember

I'm hoping to schedule it the day we have to leave would be the best excuse

I bought in the aftermarket in Beaver Creek, deeded Xmas and NYE weeks. Paid for itself in about 2 years. Been great so far.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Greg? Is that you?
    "Can't you see..."