Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Riddle me through my used car buying problem

Alright, through a series of unfortunate events with which I will not bore you, I find myself needing a car for my daughter for a year. Senior in high school. To complicate things, now it turns out my lovely wife will also need to drive it for maybe 6months.

Original plan was to find something for 9k or less and sell it in a year. I’m ok with losing 2-3k in a year on it but I don’t want to lose a fortune.

Now that my wife also needs to drive it she would like something reliable so she can take it to the mountains for the winter till she gets a different car in February or so. She is looking for 85k miles or so, 2012 or newer. No sedans. SUV or hatchback.

But I’m only gonna have the damn thing for a year. I don’t want to drop a ton of cash to lose 8k when I resell it. And every damn used car is a fortune right now.

So, do I try for something cheap with more miles, try to spend 12k or so, and go that route? Or do I spend more like 16-17k and get something like a 2014 forester with 80k and hope it’s not worth 12k when I sell it in a year?

Something like a forester, Outback, crosstrek, Mazda CX-5, etc would be ideal.

Also I’m this market I’m not sure how I can convince a seller to wait while I take it to a mechanic to look it over.

What day the collective? Also, any CO, UT, WY, MT mags have anything to sell. Actual quote from lovely wife “I would feel so much better about buying something if it was from someone I knew or a TGR person or something…”

CR-V. You'll probably sell it for what you bought it.

Honda, Toyo, subbie, or VW.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Honda, Toyo, subbie, or VW.

I'd nix VW from the list.

A CRV or Rav4 would be a good option. The 2008-2012 Rav4 is a very reliable platform, my wife really likes hers, you should be able to find them for under 10k. The 4 cyl is a timing chain, very low maintenance rig.

I'd avoid white paint as Toyota had documented paint problems with white and the 3-stage pearl paint starting in 08 or 09. They'll re-paint peeling panels for free, but for a short-term vehicle with resale as a concern its best avoided.

Carmax still lets you return it within a week right? That's the only place I know of to get a used car AND be able to check it out fully before `100% being stuck with it after the mechanic finds out why someone else traded/sold it.

We went through this same dilemma last April needing two more cars. Got one Corolla with 38K miles from a reputable dealership for mom and a 140K miles 2008 Honda Fit from roadside slime for the high school kid. Honda fit turned out to be needing a new A/C compressor but winter is coming LOL.. A/C still kinda works above 40 mph but confirmed to be toast very soon..

Good luck, everything we bought last April is definitely fetching more now, but only until the new car production catches up again.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I’m not a fan, but this scenario seems tailored for a lease. You at least will know the out of pocket cost that way.

I’d also think hard about the “has to be a SUV or hatch” rule if it is just preferred not required.

Or figure out some way to change the timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    I’d also think hard about the “has to be a SUV or hatch” rule if it is just preferred not required..
    yup definatley got a 1st world problem here

I would put out the money to go newer Toyota and hope to recoup that $ at the end becuz they have the highest resale value

repairs are so fucking expensive that you don't want to spend money at the repair shop

so buy something new enough in good shape
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-06-2021 at 10:14 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You could try taking over a lease for the last year of it or so - swapalease or leasetrader will let you browse to see if there is anything available.

You probably won't get too hosed on re-sale value in the next year as it's unlikely that the new car production is caught up by then.

Pinned's suggestion FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I think the assumption that you will lose thousands selling next year is possibly incorrect.

Buy the best car you can for the best price you can, and worry about resale later.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    I’m not a fan, but this scenario seems tailored for a lease. You at least will know the out of pocket cost that way.

I’d also think hard about the “has to be a SUV or hatch” rule if it is just preferred not required.

Or figure out some way to change the timeline.
    I think I've talked my way into a sedan. Something like a Jetta would do the trick. I kinda want to get a Mini Cooper. (very cheap).

So maybe progress.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I think I've talked my way into a sedan. Something like a Jetta would do the trick. I kinda want to get a Mini Cooper. (very cheap).

So maybe progress.
    Heh, got my daughter a Mini. 2005, 95k miles. Manual. Not a bad car for only a few grand. Very fun to drive too!
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Should be able to find a post head gasket subie in your price range with 40-50K trouble free miles left. Their resale right now is very good.

I can’t even imagine how many flooded vehicles will be coming on the market, in the next couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I think the assumption that you will lose thousands selling next year is possibly incorrect.

Buy the best car you can for the best price you can, and worry about resale later.
    This. Plus get a Honda or Toyota. Easy and cheap to fix w/ plenty of cheap parts.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Our 2016 Jetta S with the 1.4T has been a good car so far. Pretty awesome that they can get 150hp out of a 1.4T these days, and still get the MPGs. The new VW Taos looks interesting, as do the new Honda CR-V and HR-V with a 1.5T.

Riddle me through my used car buying problem

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Should be able to find a post head gasket subie in your price range with 40-50K trouble free miles left. Their resale right now is very good.
    Subarus and CRVs cost a ridiculous amount right now. Thousands over blue book. Kind of amazing.

Can your wife just buy her new vehicle now, instead of next year?

And this is not at all the crossover/hatch type thing you mentioned above, but I am considering selling my Lexus IS 350 once the new truck arrives (should be here in the next week or so). I don't really need a second vehicle anymore. 2011, AWD, low 60K miles. It's in fantastic shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Late 2nd gen, early 3rd gen CR-V with 120k miles, you can still find deals on a car that will outlive a new VW.

So maybe progress.
    Good call on the sedan if you want cheap. Unlike SUVs and trucks, sedans still seem to lose value. They can be MUCH cheaper used than their SUV counterparts.

However, stay far, FAR away from a used Mini. There's a reason they're cheap as hell used. SUPER fun car to drive. They really a hoot, but they can be an absolute mechanical nightmare after 100K.

I was in a similar situation about a month ago trying to get a value commuter that wouldn’t break on me and return value when my next planned purchase takes place. . Looked hard at CRVs and Rav4s but just couldn’t. Ended up getting a 13 GS350 AWD Fsport for upper teens - and so fricking happy I did. Had one before so knew what I was getting. Way better than you’d think in snow. Silky proven 3.5l that gets mid 20s with mostly freeway driving and 306hp
    You and El C should chat on his IS^

Stainless needs to chime in here.

I been drooling over the cheap coopers I see all over. Kinda want a S model. Damned BMW though. I need a truck again too. Sadly. Brother in law is gone for work too much and he has the only pickup in the family. We move stuff a lot. Probably find something used with a plow, as long as it can get around town and plow the family properties should work. I rarely need to go anywhere for work and long trips would be in the tdi which still has bumper to bumper til June 2022 and tons of other engine shit covered for long after due to dieselgate.

Subarus and CRVs cost a ridiculous amount right now. Thousands over blue book. Kind of amazing.
    yeah wtf
    Was doing financial shit this weekend my 2018 forester lesbaru w 30k miles 6 spd Manuel says I can sell it fir more than I bought it new seriously wtf?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

GF bought a new cross trek and so she paid the advertised dealer price at the suby dealer, buddy said he did not want her 11 yr old passat and suggested she sell privately.

I figured it would take awhile but she got good money really fast even tho it had some rust spots

I also got great money for my used Yeti when I bought a new bike

I think prices of used stuff are high and the price of new is just the new price IF you can find it

great time to ditch the old ride to buy new
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    yeah wtf
    Was doing financial shit this weekend my 2018 forester lesbaru w 30k miles 6 spd Manuel says I can sell it fir more than I bought it new seriously wtf?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    I don't get the used car market at all. Like there are new cars on lots all over. Sure maybe not 2022, or even 2021, but damned gotta be some leftover new, I still pass new lots with cars on em..

Again paging stainless for input. Seems weird.