Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Well if you got 30K or the ability to handle payments on a new Crosstrek then you can buy a new car

but if you only got 8K and havent worked much due to covid lock down but still need a car you buy the 11 yr old Passat , which is worth more than one would normaly expect its a supply and demand thing

I looked at the rust spots and where her Jack Russle had eaten the interior and figured this was going to be a hard sell, she actulay sold it twice really fast but the 1st deal fell thru

some vehical are in short supply, there is a chip shortage for ford & GM trucks , Covid is causing all kinds of supply issues which drives up price
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I been drooling over the cheap coopers I see all over. Kinda want a S model. Damned BMW though. I need a truck again too. Sadly.
    I have a 2009 Cooper S, it looks real funny next to my full size truck. It fits a shocking amount of stuff in it and drives much better than expected at speed. I won't say it's the most reliable car out there, but for the $3k I paid for it I'm not mad about having done some work. Need to sell it soon, but I'd never recommend it as primary transportation for someone who isn't mechanically inclined.

I don't get the used car market at all. Like there are new cars on lots all over. Sure maybe not 2022, or even 2021, but damned gotta be some leftover new, I still pass new lots with cars on em..
    They're asking full MSRP or MSRP + dealer markup on everything right now, it's weird. Local dealer here had like $2500 of markup on the MSRP of a Kia, I couldn't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I have a 2009 Cooper S, it looks real funny next to my full size truck. It fits a shocking amount of stuff in it and drives much better than expected at speed. I won't say it's the most reliable car out there, but for the $3k I paid for it I'm not mad about having done some work. Need to sell it soon, but I'd never recommend it as primary transportation for someone who isn't mechanically inclined.

They're asking full MSRP or MSRP + dealer markup on everything right now, it's weird. Local dealer here had like $2500 of markup on the MSRP of a Kia, I couldn't believe it.
    With All the covid backups, you'd think they'd want any new "old stock" cars off their lot asap. Insanity.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Daughter in high school and only need it for like a year? Don't want to spend a ton on the car or maintaining/operating it? The answer is clear. Old Toyota Corolla/Geo Prism. Geriatric, base model Corollas are ALWAYS the answer for a teen. Great cars for that demo if you ask me.

With All the covid backups, you'd think they'd want any new "old stock" cars off their lot asap. Insanity.
    I’ve been looking for the past few months. I’m not seeing much, if any, new old stock on dealer lots. What I am seeing is very low inventory and prices that are higher than before the pandemic. Significantly higher in some cases.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Daughter in high school and only need it for like a year? Don't want to spend a ton on the car or maintaining/operating it? The answer is clear. Old Toyota Corolla/Geo Prism. Geriatric, base model Corollas are ALWAYS the answer for a teen. Great cars for that demo if you ask me.
    Add the Pontiac Vibe to that list. Reliability of a Toyota (because it is one), resale of a Pontiac (likely not quite, but cheaper than the Toyota version)

But, I'd buy El Chups Lexus in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Add the Pontiac Vibe to that list. Reliability of a Toyota (because it is one), resale of a Pontiac (likely not quite, but cheaper than the Toyota version)

But, I'd buy El Chups Lexus in a heartbeat.
    Agreed. On both accounts. That Lexus could be a really good buy. Such solid vehicles and prolly more long-term satisfaction than a beat up old Corolla/Prism/Vibe.

I'm not sure if I'm going to sell the car or not. Just considering it. From a practical standpoint, it probably makes sense to sell. But I like it, and there are times when it'll be much more convenient to drive and park vs the truck.

FWIW, it's not going to be a sub-$10K, high school kid kind of thing... It looks nearly new.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

As others said, Honda or Toyota are the best choices.
    For finding the best deal look on Cargurus, search in the 500 mile range.
    Email the dealer and get a Buyers Order on all the cars you want to drive and then set an appointment so you know it's there when you show up for a test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm going to sell the car or not. Just considering it. From a practical standpoint, it probably makes sense to sell. But I like it, and there are times when it'll be much more convenient to drive and park vs the truck.

FWIW, it's not going to be a sub-$10K, high school kid kind of thing... It looks nearly new.
    Wow Thats super tempting I’ve always liked that model.

We got a '16 Mazda CX-5 in December of 2020 for similar reasons and it has been drama-free thus far. AWD with good mileage, too.

Great input from everyone. Thanks all. That Lexus does look cool but - don't want to give her a Lexus, ya know?

Found a base model CRV, not that old and low low miles, all repair records, always serviced and a set of included snow tires. Under blue book for just slightly more than Carmax would buy it for. So that also feels good in terms of selling it in a year. And it might be nice enough that my daughter could always work for a couple of years and buy us out of it to take it with her to her second year of college.

Cloth seats, manual seats, no carplay, not a great stereo, no seat heaters - it's basic man. But it has usb plugs for your phone, bluetooth for safety, etc.

Only problem with the base model is that you gotta go through some gymnastics to add racks, which I'm doing now. But a car serves no purpose in our family without a way to get skis and bikes somewhere, so that's understood.

Thanks again for all the help.

$200 a month for a 2 year lease on a new Mazda 3 fwd, ~$300 for awd so you're aob $8k or $11k. It's new, reliable, safe...

A bus pass would have been alot easier and cheaper

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Great input from everyone. Thanks all. That Lexus does look cool but - don't want to give her a Lexus, ya know?

Found a base model CRV, not that old and low low miles, all repair records, always serviced and a set of included snow tires. Under blue book for just slightly more than Carmax would buy it for. So that also feels good in terms of selling it in a year. And it might be nice enough that my daughter could always work for a couple of years and buy us out of it to take it with her to her second year of college.

Cloth seats, manual seats, no carplay, not a great stereo, no seat heaters - it's basic man. But it has usb plugs for your phone, bluetooth for safety, etc.

Only problem with the base model is that you gotta go through some gymnastics to add racks, which I'm doing now. But a car serves no purpose in our family without a way to get skis and bikes somewhere, so that's understood.

Sounds like a winner to me. Nice work EWG.
    I still call it The Jake.

Why the 85k limit? That’s why your economics don’t work… Bump up to 120+k and it does….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post

I'm calling you about your car's warranty...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Why the 85k limit? That’s why your economics don’t work… Bump up to 120+k and it does….
    That's actually a fair point. Downside to sub-85K is that you're not only paying a lot more than something with over 100K, but ALSO you're just a couple oil changes away from some of the big ticket maintanence items, such as timing belt/water pump, plugs, etc. All depending on the vehicle of course. What I've often seen is that by 120K, all those expensive jobs (should) have already been taken care of and the car's lost a bunch more value by virtue of it being "high mileage." Of course if it's a Honda/Toyota, at 100K, it's still got a lot of life left in 'em. Well, typically at least. There are definitely some outliers to steer clear of, like ones with certain engines or transmissions.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I'm calling you about your car's warranty...
    Would you happen to have a life insurance policy that might interest me as well?

Crv always wins. It ain’t sexy but utility and reliability sure turn me on.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'd go retro chic. AMC Gremlin or Pacer.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I'd go retro chic. AMC Gremlin or Pacer.
    Dammit. It was so obvious, and I missed it.

Riddle me through my used car buying problem

Not quite the gremlin but here’s an AMC Eagle that “runs good”
    It would be great to see this in use in the wagon stoke thread
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1631202187.722386.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	379.8 KB 
ID:	384872
    skid luxury

Can you call them BB and have them post some pictures? I'd like to see what a $1,950 '83 AMC Eagle looks like
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    That's actually a fair point. Downside to sub-85K is that you're not only paying a lot more than something with over 100K, but ALSO you're just a couple oil changes away from some of the big ticket maintanence items, such as timing belt/water pump, plugs, etc. All depending on the vehicle of course. What I've often seen is that by 120K, all those expensive jobs (should) have already been taken care of and the car's lost a bunch more value by virtue of it being "high mileage." Of course if it's a Honda/Toyota, at 100K, it's still got a lot of life left in 'em. Well, typically at least. There are definitely some outliers to steer clear of, like ones with certain engines or transmissions.
    Yes, the “refresh” for cooling systems, suspension, etc is about to come up between 85-1115K.