Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Guitar question

Here's a song about the joys of new strings. All you have to do is change your strings and you can play like Cody Kilby on this tune.

Kentucky Thunder is the best bluegrass band I've ever heard. Heard 'em a bunch of times at Hardly Strictly and once in their own show.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    Heh, I should have phrased it like "unattended fretboards tend to get gunky over time" or something like that.

To me, guitars are not case queens, they're tools, but I do take good care of my tools and I keep them clean, that's why I like to remove all strings when I change them, at a minimum of twice a year, more if I'm playing gigs.

The last guitar I bought was a floor model at Guitar Center, suuuuper manky, but it was a PRS with a huge discount and no major damage. The fretboard alone took me about a full hour to clean up, but it was worth it. Gorgomyte to the rescue!
    Are you guys eating fried chicken before you pick up your guitars?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Ha, that festival used to be called Winterhawk back in the day. Some asshole sued and they changed it to grey fox awhile back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Are you guys eating fried chicken before you pick up your guitars?

... Thom
    At that Guitar Center that seemed to be the case! Like before checking out a guitar you had to help with the pulled pork, and then with an oil change. "Now you are ready. Take the guitar. Find the largest amp on the floor, crank it to 10, add as much distortion as you can, and then run the same phrases over and over as fast as you can, even if you flub most notes."

Really fine music in this thread! My contribution, a little bit more fusion, is from Les Claypool's Duo de Twang.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    "Take the guitar. Find the largest amp on the floor, crank it to 10, add as much distortion as you can, and then run the same phrases over and over as fast as you can, even if you flub most notes."
    I've reported this post because I am in this statement and I don't like it.

Its hard to not try to play fast. I think it cones from trying to switch chords really fast but then you start to be able to do it well enough to keep up but you can't stop trying to go fast.

Metronome helps.

I don't think there's a metronome made that's fast enough for bluegrass.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I don't think there's a metronome made that's fast enough for bluegrass.
    Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Here's a song about the joys of new strings. All you have to do is change your strings and you can play like Cody Kilby on this tune.

Kentucky Thunder is the best bluegrass band I've ever heard. Heard 'em a bunch of times at Hardly Strictly and once in their own show.
    I'll say it before, I'll say it again until people stop mentioning him. Ricky Skaggs may be an amazing musician. But he's dead to me with his Christian Warrior bullshit. I saw his true colors at a show a few months after 09/11/2021 and haven't seen him since. I don't give second chances with that kind of stuff. Ya, we were all hurting around that time. Look around at the present day and see what his shit got us. Mentioning his name around me is a good way to get a thread nuked.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I'll say it before, I'll say it again until people stop mentioning him. Ricky Skaggs may be an amazing musician. But he's dead to me with his Christian Warrior bullshit. I saw his true colors at a show a few months after 09/11/2021 and haven't seen him since. I don't give second chances with that kind of stuff. Ya, we were all hurting around that time. Look around at the present day and see what his shit got us. Mentioning his name around me is a good way to get a thread nuked.
    You mean 9/11/2001?

Quote Originally Posted by Salvelinusconfluentus View Post
    You mean 9/11/2001?
    Ya. That one. I was agitated.