Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Northwest face of Mt. Galatea in Spray Lakes
    Better known as Mount Skinny Ribs.
    Relatively low post count.

Pics turned out great. Nice looking uptrack. Rummel would be a good place to camp for a couple nights and bang off a few/day

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

How’s LL/SS/KHMR skiing the past day or two? Haven’t been up in a while, looks like winter above 2000 north facing?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    back bowls at lake louise ski area? like whitehorn 1/2 area? most are very straightforward. nothing madatory
    Yeah I don't know, just looking at all those double blacks like A Gully, B Gully and the rest, E.R. 3, E.R. 6, Swede's, Big 7, Peyto's Pitch, the Beast, etc. Wondering if there are some lines better than others that I might want to ski if I'm only there a couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Yeah I don't know, just looking at all those double blacks like A Gully, B Gully and the rest, E.R. 3, E.R. 6, Swede's, Big 7, Peyto's Pitch, the Beast, etc. Wondering if there are some lines better than others that I might want to ski if I'm only there a couple days.
    Ski them all. Just stay high. "Circuits" of summit and paradise. Gullys and er's all empty to paradise lift. Top of paradise do an er to paradise or back over to summit for the gullies or whitehorn. If you get an upslooe storm add in summit fence line laps and the new stuff in west bowl. Spring occasionally brings a few upslooe storms

Nothing named in Louise has mandatory air unless you're looking for it. Whether you'd rather take the grounded route instead of the air depends on the conditions..

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Pics turned out great. Nice looking uptrack. Rummel would be a good place to camp for a couple nights and bang off a few/day

That was the idea- we started on The Tower and were turned around on 2 lines due to easy compression tests on 2 deeper PWL’s. Moved onto Rummel for the night and yielded better stability the next day enabling us to knock off the most north sheltered line....great views and weather for a micro traverse!

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    That was the idea- we started on The Tower and were turned around on 2 lines due to easy compression tests on 2 deeper PWL’s. Moved onto Rummel for the night and yielded better stability the next day enabling us to knock off the most north sheltered line....great views and weather for a micro traverse!
    Certainly worked out. K country has a lot of those formations but that wall has sooo many. The big wall buffet. I suppose the rest arent as sheltered? Guessing.
    Another spring traverse i often tried to float to friends was the series of bowls closer to the road. Car drop at engadine/rummel on the road and then drive down to james walker creek and go in there. 5 south face climbs to 5 north face bowls and slide out rummel. The one above james walker creek is only 5-600 ft of vert then the next 4 are 1500ish. I think the last bowl before the rummel exit is 1800ft . With the right timing a person could go straight up the southfacing bowls with an early start with boot crampons. Theyre not steep. Skiings not that steep either but good northfacing skiing and they all link together without too much route finding. Just one that i kept floating but for some reason didnt get to it. Pretty much encompasses the snowbelt on the spray. B prince to engadine but on the east side

Certainly worked out. K country has a lot of those formations but that wall has sooo many. The big wall buffet. I suppose the rest arent as sheltered? Guessing.
    Another spring traverse i often tried to float to friends was the series of bowls closer to the road. Car drop at engadine/rummel on the road and then drive down to james walker creek and go in there. 5 south face climbs to 5 north face bowls and slide out rummel. The one above james walker creek is only 5-600 ft of vert then the next 4 are 1500ish. I think the last bowl before the rummel exit is 1800ft . With the right timing a person could go straight up the southfacing bowls with an early start with boot crampons. Theyre not steep. Skiings not that steep either but good northfacing skiing and they all link together without too much route finding. Just one that i kept floating but for some reason didnt get to it. Pretty much encompasses the snowbelt on the spray. B prince to engadine but on the east side

Very few sheltered lines on each face-sun is cooking these days and lines are shedding especially with that PWL that isn’t disappearing. Slab avalanches all over.... I could never do south facing summits at this tone of year... I like my boots to warm up in the sun...lol. We just have been booting straight up. Awesome tour suggestion and we have floated the same idea! Beautiful smorgasbord of big wall riding to be had amongst those 5 beautiful N faces!! If u can hit some of those south lines that would be nice too! South side of Chester has some great lines to get after!

Love the spray. Ive been late to the party with conditions like that as well. Spring timing as been all over the map these last few years it seems. Skied the south face of galatea at the back of the valley a few years ago but we probably shouldve skied down the north face and did a circuit back to the truck. Snow was still amazing on the north and didnt warm to perfection on the south top to bottom. Havent skied any of those lines you were on or chester regretably. The one chester attempt we were too late in the spring and no overnight freeze
    Really like that hero knob chute you posted earlier too,or atleast i think that was it. Nice ridge scramble to it. 2nd one doesnt usually get turns

Love the spray. Ive been late to the party with conditions like that as well. Spring timing as been all over the map these last few years it seems. Skied the south face of galatea at the back of the valley a few years ago but we probably shouldve skied down the north face and did a circuit back to the truck. Snow was still amazing on the north and didnt warm to perfection on the south top to bottom. Havent skied any of those lines you were on or chester regretably. The one chester attempt we were too late in the spring and no overnight freeze
    Really like that hero knob chute you posted earlier too,or atleast i think that was it. Nice ridge scramble to it. 2nd one doesnt usually get turns

Keen eye! You know your geography. Deserves respect! I guess we disagree to agree my friend! Cheers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stewy30 View Post
    How’s LL/SS/KHMR skiing the past day or two? Haven’t been up in a while, looks like winter above 2000 north facing?

Lake Louise was ok yesterday. Kind of sucked at first with 10cm over top of a crust. Then it got better in the afternoon as the fresh got packed into the crust and you felt less crust.

KH today just plain sucked all day...

Ski them all. Just stay high. "Circuits" of summit and paradise. Gullys and er's all empty to paradise lift. Top of paradise do an er to paradise or back over to summit for the gullies or whitehorn. If you get an upslooe storm add in summit fence line laps and the new stuff in west bowl. Spring occasionally brings a few upslooe storms

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Thank you
    NP, have fun. Sunny hot spring laps off the summit are a blast too if it softens. Soo fun hitting "the wave" ir over to boomerang and play on "shoulder roll"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C0D32740-ECF9-41A0-A3A1-0B72A6B87BC8.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	930.1 KB 
ID:	411024

Another great day in the K.

^^^^ another great pic!

Yeah Dirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Stewy30 View Post

I was there on March 31. The wind blew snow onto the backside so I found it pretty OK to ski. Did some gullies, paradise bowl and some trees. The frontside was super windy and wasn’t sure about visibility so I stuck to the backside of summit and Larch. Above Larch looked really good, but I didn’t go there as I was skiing alone.

Hitting up LL next weekend, hoping to get the wife in some lessons and maybe try not kill myself doing anything stupid this late.

Fun photo sent to me this w/e from one of my kids. Don't ask me where her and her friends were skiing -- they never invite me anymore anyhow!

Somewhere in the Canadian Rockies -- Surprise Pass maybe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fun.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	570.9 KB 
ID:	411891
    Relatively low post count.

Impressive lines around here. Much respect for those getting after it here. Any chance of east facing softening up tomorrow. Thinking off 93 near marble canyon. Any suggestions for mellow terrain that will ski well if firm

BFD. Looks like K country got some recent input to provide some decent N facing powder. Check the forecast MIN reports. The N side of Purple knob or Heros knob should deliver. Alternately head up 93 N. I dpont think the Vermillion pass area has gottn much recently unless you go high and N like Whymper.

Friends skied the middle chute in surprise pass area. A fair portion of it from the top is 49-50⁰ . Sounded like good conditions. Early start to boot slack up the southfacing side of that one. Nice wind shelf at the top to change over

Thanks ended up having a Field day. Ran into a guy from Calgary. His partner stopped at tree line. Skied it with him. Had some help breaking trail. Went from deep packed powder off summit to dust on crust at road. Great ski perfect conditions. Even the mellow stuff here delivers.

Unreal!

Managed stumble off the the top of the polar chair just in time for the season opener on currie head wall at fernie today. First time I’ve had that pleasure and the conditions were outstanding. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1649382431.410895.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	412401