Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    skied LL today. WAY better than expected. stuff is REALLY filled in.

opened gondi and got a morning lap down Z run. outlimits is all filled in. Grizzle shoulder was nice chop with a few twigs.

SUCH a change from a week ago

Marmot opened today. I thought it had excellent conditions. Only lower mountain open today, but upper opening as of Saturday. Ungroomed runs had fresh powder on them all day and hoping for the remainder of the lower ungroomed to open tomorrow.

PS - new RFID gate system at the lifts - worked flawlessly for me today and happy to see it in place

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Guess the timing Depends on how you got blocked in or what trucker tried to not let you pass...3 lanes of traffic headed to Calgary on a single lane hwy....lots of angry unprepared people out there...lol

I had sleeping bag/ rubber boots/ food/ water/ fuel. So no issues. Lots of people don’t even have anything more than tennis shoes and a hoodie...so f’d...
    Guess the timing Depends on how you got blocked in or what trucker tried to not let you pass...3 lanes of traffic headed to Calgary on a single lane hwy....lots of angry unprepared people out there...lol

I had sleeping bag/ rubber boots/ food/ water/ fuel. So no issues. Lots of people don’t even have anything more than tennis shoes and a hoodie...so f’d...
    We left Pano at 1:30. Hit the line of vehicles by Dolly Varden. 4 1/2 hours later turned around from halfway up the hill at Kootenay Pass. People were trying to pass in passing lane, semis coming down the hill frequently didn’t have chains on and it looked like could have been crazy. It was all at a standstill. Total cluster eff.

Turned around, back to cabin and drove home Monday via Fernie. 6 1/2 hours later, home.

Total mess, but not as bad as elsewhere in the province.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    TOPO opened today, front side summit tomorrow at LL
    All chiars opening tomorrow? I am going to be there on Sunday....good start!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rogers View Post
    All chiars opening tomorrow? I am going to be there on Sunday....good start!
    paradise, ptarm, and larch will spin this weekend (at some point and NOT all terrain off the lfts is open) but heck I't Nov 20th and all lifts running is kinda nice.

Last year I think west bowl was open by then and alphabet by the end of the month too. It's been lucky recently.

Lucky that those lifts weren't spinning today too, because that sharky bait would get me for sure. The frontside base is solid and the rocks are obvious and mostly easy to avoid, however. Every nick I got today was on the only-way-down track off TOPO so of course it was scraped to bedrock by 1. Coincidentally the same time the whole summit pod closed off for some reason.

Conditions were so good for this time of the year it convinced me to swap the rock mantras out after hitting nothing for several runs, so I have first impressions on the Paradise Red if anyone is curious about them.

^^^ I found a few rocks in surprising places but overall not bad. Even 3 or 4 turns of actual powder!
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Was up in the Highwood area this week to poke around and dial in some new gear - the coverage is really quite good thanks to the wet/warm snowfall. While there are nice turns in the trees, anything exposed has been thoroughly wind hammered seemingly on all aspects.

Just curious - how are they checking vax status? Do you need to go to guest services or are they checking QR codes in the gondola lines?

Quote Originally Posted by joecoffee View Post
    Just curious - how are they checking vax status? Do you need to go to guest services or are they checking QR codes in the gondola lines?
    At lake louise they have staff at every entrance to check it, and once checked they give you a wrist band. Which you can show to get into buildings or onto the gondola.

If you have a pass or a direct to lift louise card you can show your vaxx info at guest services and you get a sticker and you just show your pass for the rest of the year.

Wow, sleeper day at the Shine. Showed up at noon and was skiing 20cm pockets all afternoon under TeePee. Parking lot was half full. I don't need to ski bumps so normally don't ski TP unless its to get to the Shoulder but first week in, no bumps formed, it was the goods!!!

Zero to hero for sure since early week at Louise and now Sunshine.

Was up on 93N yesterday. Jimmy Junior area. Coverage was great. Skiing was decent and only saw about 8 other people. When breaking trail or boot packing we didn't punch through to facets which was a surprise. The ski down to the road through the trees was also pretty good. No sinking around those small Christmas trees made for enjoyable skiing almost all the way to the road. Didn't hit anything and coverage up in the bowl was about 1m deep. Can't seem to figure out how to add photos from my phone so no pics. Says the forum has disabled image sharing form the app. But don't worry we aren't that rad so you aren't missing much.
    Last edited by Mex; 11-22-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Crowds at highwood... no parking....

Moved on to avoid the masses. skied a doozy! Good coverage, snowpack is getting complex in that area. Hard slab/ sun crust/Soft slab/ powder/ Saturated/ thick/thin/ glacial...much respect required coming up. See what happens with new snow....2 weeks left in the wind tunnel....
    Last edited by teamdirt; 11-21-2021 at 08:29 PM.

Crowds at highwood... no parking....

Moved on to avoid the masses. skied a doozy! Good coverage, snowpack is getting complex in that area. Hard slab/ sun crust/Soft slab/ powder/ Saturated/ thick/thin/ glacial...much respect required coming up. See what happens with new snow....2 weeks left in the wind tunnel....
    Highwood parking lot was jammed by 9am! People are ridiculous...

We also kept on going and found some nice but rare sheltered areas - may have even shared a skin track with you!

Ahh...the Doozy Range, well done!
    Relatively low post count.

Anybody heading to Louise tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get out there tomorrow, it’s going to be GOOD!!! Snowing all day, 25cm expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 overnight at LL. I'll take it

Planning a powder highway + LL road trip over Xmas. Does anyone have any good resources for touring in the area, or some suggestions for nice mellow tours? Mostly interested in cool scenery and some exercise.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Caught some afternoon laps on the Spray - again isolated areas with the right aspect are hold some excellent snow, and the midpack is super supportive making for good turns and easy travel. Snowing all afternoon up high FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Planning a powder highway + LL road trip over Xmas. Does anyone have any good resources for touring in the area, or some suggestions for nice mellow tours? Mostly interested in cool scenery and some exercise.

Thanks!

bow summit area (40km from lake louise)

or surpise pass in lake louise

Thanks!

Healy pass from the sunshine parking lot is nice once you get up high.

Thanks!

Here you go, all things Bow Valley: https://confessionsofaskibum.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mex View Post
    Here you go, all things Bow Valley: https://confessionsofaskibum.com/
    this.

was searching and didn't find

Quote Originally Posted by Peyto View Post
    Caught some afternoon laps on the Spray - again isolated areas with the right aspect are hold some excellent snow, and the midpack is super supportive making for good turns and easy travel. Snowing all afternoon up high FWIW.
    Thx for the intel Peyto. Going for some spray Laps tomorrow!