Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Bridge was rebuild years ago, paid for by one of the movies that used the place as the price of admission. Lodge is a tear down, when RCR walked away they didn’t do anything to mothball it, not even drain the water system so all the pipes and boilers burst the following winter. Anyone who ever worked there knows that in the spring the basements used to get water in them and since no sump pumps were kept running it was full of water, place is going to be full of mold. Vandalism and theft of anything of value has stripped it. Lifts were barely able to be run when Zrinko tried to restart, they have since removed the curved tbar and the remaining lifts have been sitting there with no maintenance. I’d wouldn’t be surprised if anything of value has also been stripped from them.

That place is dead and done as a lift serviced ski area. My buddy proposed doing a back country touring operation but was told the lease conditions say you can only run a public ski area. Best we can hope for is the road gets reopened and they start plowing it as part of K country.
    A backcountry ski area open to the public a la Hankin in the Bulkley Valley would go over real well given the proximity to Calgary.

That sounds like a recipe for a solid bc bump run. That would be a fun spot in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Today was probably one of the best days I've had at Louise in a while. Blue sky 30cm of good dense snow with blower on top. No lines, everything opened. Very impressed. Can still feel the make freeze crust under Neath on the front. White horn 2 gullys have more rocks still than you think. Rocky mountain edge tune.
    A lesson quickly learned, never be the first one in the season to drop a Banff run if you want to keep your edges intact. There's always more snow, let everyone else compact the base.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMagnet View Post
    A lesson quickly learned, never be the first one in the season to drop a Banff run if you want to keep your edges intact. There's always more snow, let everyone else compact the base.
    Skis are meant to be used. ski em tune em if you'd like. With that attitude you'll never get the goods.

In an ideal world, but my wallet can't support a popped edge or blown sidewall every season anymore. The username isn't ironic.

A few runs in ER5 takes up the entire damage budget on its own, thus one must pick and choose when to shred the ptex.

Next time you get a six pack of beer keep the clear plastic rings..melt that into the holes cheap fix that lasts. Get some dynastars. They take a beating but last.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Next time you get a six pack of beer keep the clear plastic rings..melt that into the holes cheap fix that lasts. Get some dynastars. They take a beating but last.
    Learn how to dance on those fairy sticks- never needed a base tune or repair in 20 years. Not a scratch on my skis......lol

The Tune shop in banff can work magic.

buy used skis

often

mntlion beat me to it, but save the nice sticks for a solid/compacted base.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Private mountain tour—Lake Louise or Sunshine Village

Hi all. Long time fan of the forum—first time poster.

We’re taking a group family trip to Banff/Lake Louise in February. The dads get to break away from the families for a day, and we’re thinking of doing a private “Guided Adventure” mountain tour at either Lake Louise or Sunshine Village. Which mountain would you recommend for the tour? We haven’t been to either one.

For context: we’re weekend warrior Tahoe skiers who spend most of the day schlepping our young kids around the mountain. We’re advanced resort skiers who spend more time than we care to admit on groomers. However, we aspire to be more well-rounded all mountain skiers, and we’re looking for someone to take us out of our comfort zone and show us around—somewhere we wouldn’t necessarily find on the trail map.

If you had to choose, which mountain would you recommend—Lake Louise or Sunshine Village?

Thanks for your help.

I wish people wouldn't post in dark blue text on a medium blue background. Even before my eyes got old it would have been hard to read.

Quote Originally Posted by MRose8260 View Post

We’re taking a group family trip to Banff/Lake Louise in February. The dads get to break away from the families for a day, and we’re thinking of doing a private “Guided Adventure” mountain tour at either Lake Louise or Sunshine Village. Which mountain would you recommend for the tour? We haven’t been to either one.

For context: we’re weekend warrior Tahoe skiers who spend most of the day schlepping our young kids around the mountain. We’re advanced resort skiers who spend more time than we care to admit on groomers. However, we aspire to be more well-rounded all mountain skiers, and we’re looking for someone to take us out of our comfort zone and show us around—somewhere we wouldn’t necessarily find on the trail map.

If you had to choose, which mountain would you recommend—Lake Louise or Sunshine Village?

Thanks for your help.
    Hey minion...
    Lesson #1 - USE THE RIGHT FONT
    Lesson #2 - Lake Louise...ALL...DAY...LONG

Quote Originally Posted by Skiwurrel View Post
    Might hit lake louise next couple days, hoping it snows, if anyone wants to rip get @ me 2fiveoh 4oh9 four78six.

Or Panorama any time/columbia valley ski touring, happy to show the goods!

I am at Pano for the week, happy to do resort laps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Weird that my post showed in a different font. It looks normal from my end—black on white background. I hope this one is better.

Much appreciated on both lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by MRose8260 View Post

Thanks for your help.
    Fortunately using Tapatalk, so I don’t see the obscenity mentioned elsewhere!

However if the Dad’s have a free pass day, arrange a day trip to Kicking Horse and get a guide. Basically hire a level 3 local instructor and he will ferry you about. I don’t know anyone current…when my brother worked there, he got the family a guy by the name of John, was an ex-pay from the Eastern Townships…awesome guy. But split the cost of a level 3 or 4 guy that is local and you will have a blast. Arrange all in advance so the rug can’t be pulled.

Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post

However if the Dad’s have a free pass day, arrange a day trip to Kicking Horse and get a guide. Basically hire a level 3 local instructor and he will ferry you about. I don’t know anyone current…when my brother worked there, he got the family a guy by the name of John, was an ex-pay from the Eastern Townships…awesome guy. But split the cost of a level 3 or 4 guy that is local and you will have a blast. Arrange all in advance so the rug can’t be pulled.

This is good advice. Be aware that the Trans Canada highway has constantly changing closures right now... make sure you know which roads are open before you drive between lake louise and Golden.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

he got the family a guy by the name of John, was an ex-pay from the Eastern Townships…awesome guy.

John Parry is still there!
    Last edited by goldenshowers; 01-20-2022 at 08:35 PM. Reason: add last name

This is interesting advice, thanks. We’re on Ikon, so I was focused on the skibig3 resorts. But I will definitely look into this. I want to take full advantage of my getaway day.

(Still paranoid about my font issue. Not sure if it’s resolved or still an issue for some users.)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshowers View Post
    John Parry is still there!
    John Perrie is everywhere. He will always tell you his instructing level and he will also tell you how awesome he is too if u were not already aware

2021/22 CND rockies thread

Heading up to KH for the next week 23-30th looking to tag along with a local mag for a day. Beers and lunch on me in return from my gratitude!

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    John Perrie is everywhere. He will always tell you his instructing level and he will also tell you how awesome he is too if u were not already aware
    Yep, that is him. He was a terrific guide and instructor for my wife, sister in law and my kids when I was down and out with a herniated disk. We also attended an Easter Service he ran at the summit lodge one year. A wonderful guy. Nothing negative to say about him. 12 or 13 years later, my wife still comments he got her down chutes she never would have otherwise considered, at the same time keeping my kids in line.

Using Tapatalk

KH fucks — That’s all!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1577.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	402571

Name:	IMG_1569.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	402572

Name:	IMG_2888.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	402573

^^^ nice! That first shot is especially cool.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    ^^^ nice! That first shot is especially cool.
    Yeah, perfectly captures the blowing snow/wind/ and sun!

Any suggestions on Norquay discounts? Son has a freestyle comp there this weekend and the rest of us might want to ski and watch.