Can you heat mold Tecnica Mach1 130?

Got some cheap boots online and don't have a tonne of experience sussing out a good bootfitter... but I called a local shop that does bootfitting and they said I could... just want to make sure this is good advice.

Even of I could mold the shells, is there a time I should NOT do this? I'm possibly looking for a tiny bit more room at the mid-foot.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Talk to Mntlion. He’s in Banff. He fits my fat feet into boots far too narrow for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Yes you can heat mold these.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Yes you can heat mold these.

Thanks.

Will mounding the shell tend to shrink it or stretch it? I.e. if I want to create a little room can I do that by padding my foot during the shell mould?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Thanks.

Will mounding the shell tend to shrink it or stretch it? I.e. if I want to create a little room can I do that by padding my foot during the shell mould?

if you add volume while the shell is headed and let it cool accordingly, it will retain the shape with added volume.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    if you add volume while the shell is headed and let it cool accordingly, it will retain the shape with added volume.
    Right on.... thanks.

yes you can

what problem are you trying to solve?

have you skied them yet?

Go ski first, see what you NEED to change first

You can heat mold any boot, the question is whether it will stay in that shape after it cools. Tecnica Mach 1 CAS shells are not one of the models we consider "heat moldable" (i.e. throw them in the oven, stand around on a flat surface with padded foot inside), but it won't hurt. If you need more, it will require access to a bootfitter. At our shop, we don't even try to put Tecnica shells in the oven (the liners mold well, though) - if a customer needs a little more room, we punch them. The CAS dimpled areas are usually very accurate, FWIW.

Got some cheap boots online and don't have a tonne of experience sussing out a good bootfitter... but I called a local shop that does bootfitting and they said I could... just want to make sure this is good advice.

Even of I could mold the shells, is there a time I should NOT do this? I'm possibly looking for a tiny bit more room at the mid-foot.

I would say the local shop's advice is only good if they are offering to do this for free. The amount of movement you can expect by putting Mach 1 shells in the oven is minimal, certainly nothing like an Atomic or Salomon. What do you mean by a time not to do this? Time of day, time of year, when you test positive for COVID?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    yes you can

have you skied them yet?

Just because I think it's funny I'll pass this on: my kid is in some Mach 1 140 LVs (thanks mtnlion!) and I would describe the process he used to fit them as pain-molding. College kid with no desire to spend a couple hours at a bootfitter and he figured he'd just ski them into form. For his first handful of days I'd call him afterwards just to ask how his feet felt and then laugh at him. Worked out for him in the end (easy foot to fit into that boot). However, would not recommend for non-idiots.

Listen to GregL and mntlion. They know their shit.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    yes you can

have you skied them yet?

Even in my 100 lasted cochise I get some pain on the outside at my mid-foot. I'm expecting something like this with the 98 lasted mach1. So I'd love to make a little room there.

If I'm paying them to mould the liners anyway maybe I should just mould the whole thing?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I would say the local shop's advice is only good if they are offering to do this for free. The amount of movement you can expect by putting Mach 1 shells in the oven is minimal, certainly nothing like an Atomic or Salomon. What do you mean by a time not to do this? Time of day, time of year, when you test positive for COVID?
    I meant that maybe heating the shells only shrinks boots to conform and doesn't stretch them? I don't know what to worry about here.

The area where I get pain is not in an area with the CAS dimples.

I meant that maybe heating the shells only shrinks boots to conform and doesn't stretch them? I don't know what to worry about here.

The area where I get pain is not in an area with the CAS dimples.

About 55% of the way forward from the heel on the lateral (outside) of the foot? Probably the styloid process - do you feel a bump there?

I would find a shop that can punch accurately in that spot and have them throw in the liner mold as part of the deal . . . like I said, oven heating a Mach 1 shell is of dubious benefit.

About 55% of the way forward from the heel on the lateral (outside) of the foot? Probably the styloid process - do you feel a bump there?

I would find a shop that can punch accurately in that spot and have them throw in the liner mold as part of the deal . . . like I said, oven heating a Mach 1 shell is of dubious benefit.
    I do have a couple of small bumps about 40% forward from the heel. I think the pain is closer to the toes than that. About 55% like you say but no bump there.

I will skip the shell mold and do as you suggest... thanks.

Maybe I'll put some padding around that part of my foot for the liner mold.

I do have a couple of small bumps about 40% forward from the heel. I think the pain is closer to the toes than that. About 55% like you say but no bump there.

I will skip the shell mold and do as you suggest... thanks.

Maybe I'll put some padding around that part of my foot for the liner mold.

Good luck, I would offer to do it myself but you're in Canada, eh? If you intend to punch the area for more width, I would hold off on compressing the liner as you will lose cushioning - better to punch the shell and just stretch the liner to conform, keeping the thickness of the foam.

Good luck, I would offer to do it myself but you're in Canada, eh? If you intend to punch the area for more width, I would hold off on compressing the liner as you will lose cushioning - better to punch the shell and just stretch the liner to conform, keeping the thickness of the foam.
    Good to know... thanks.

FWIW, I punched my mach1 130s on the styloid process area. I was pretty generous with the punch, and I'm glad I did. Ended up getting some bounce back on the shell with some time; the boot is still kinda tight there, but doesn't cause me nearly the pain I was getting before.

Totally worth the boot work in the end though - the mach1 is a beast of a boot.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Just because I think it's funny I'll pass this on: my kid is in some Mach 1 140 LVs (thanks mtnlion!) and I would describe the process he used to fit them as pain-molding. College kid with no desire to spend a couple hours at a bootfitter and he figured he'd just ski them into form. For his first handful of days I'd call him afterwards just to ask how his feet felt and then laugh at him. Worked out for him in the end (easy foot to fit into that boot). However, would not recommend for non-idiots.

Listen to GregL and mntlion. They know their shit.
    more people should do this
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

I forgot that last winter I took a pic where I get the pain realizing that I might forget exactly where I get it.

Which I must have because it turns out that spot is exactly where my styloid process bump is and not further towards my toes like I mistakenly recalled.

I actually never even noticed I had a bump there, and wouldn't have known that a common source of pain... so thanks for pointing this out to me as it should be easy to tell the bootfitter what I want now.

I . . . it turns out that spot is exactly where my styloid process bump is and not further towards my toes like I mistakenly recalled. I actually never even noticed I had a bump there, and wouldn't have known that a common source of pain... so thanks for pointing this out to me as it should be easy to tell the bootfitter what I want now.
    Sweet, should be relatively simple. Heat molding the shell to move the plastic in the styloid area doesn't work well, the plastic is too thick there.

There are three position marks on the floating tongue, +1, 0, -1. Does moving it make a difference in terms of fit?

Quote Originally Posted by phatboy64 View Post
    There are three position marks on the floating tongue, +1, 0, -1. Does moving it make a difference in terms of fit?
    Timely post... was wondering this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by phatboy64 View Post
    If you experience issues with shin comfort due to the contour of the tongue not matching up well with your leg shape, moving the tongue up or down can help.