Flylow shell materials

I’m looking at a few Flylow jackets and am wondering what the difference is in these shell materials:

Knight Jacket:
    Intuitive (3-layer), OmniBloq, [face fabric] 100% polyester

Quantum Jacket:
    Intuitive (3-layer), [face fabric] 100% nylon, DWR treatment

Cobra Jacket:
    Intuitive ripstop (2-layer), DWR coating

Does anyone have these jackets and know how they perform? I like the Knight but is it too flimsy/thin?

Flylow shell materials

I can speak to the Quantum
    I’m in PNW & have been using the quantum for the last two seasons
    Good water resistance — no wet thru issues on wet stormy days
    Breathes more than I want riding the chair into a stiff wind — the other side of this is that it works well for dumping heat/steam
    Acts like E-vent afaict (tho maybe that’s overstating the breathability a hair)

Durability is high; holds up to regular backpack use
    Good for resort or bc, tho might pick a less breathable jacket on a howling day or layer with a non breathable puffy

Flylow shell materials

It’s not the layering/fabric that’s different, it’s the waterproof/breathability ratings. Two ladies in our family are in the Billie Goat which is the women’s version of the Quantum. It’s 20k/20k. My son is in the Knight. It’s 10k/10k.

We are Colorado/Utah/Wyoming and both are excellent. Lower rated Knight seems fine even on wet days, but he’s 19 and doesn’t give a shit anyway.

Flylow shell materials

So the Knight which is 100% polyester isn’t much different than the Quantum that’s 100% nylon, except that the Quantum breathes better (like Polartech Neoshell)?

In CO btw, so not too concerned with waterproofness.

Quantum is pretty much bulletproof in my experience. High quality.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I’ve had a couple of Quantums and a Higgins 2.1.
    The Quantum is my favourite hardshell ski jacket ever.
    The Higgins is a pretty great jacket in its own right. I wear it as a rainy day coat now too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

There's also some new stuff for 21-22 that'll be fun to throw in the mix, including a pant with a fleece lined butt for cold chair rides.

Flylow makes great shit and i skied in them for years. Then Freeride Systems picked up and and I fully converted. Antero II and II plus in the quiver (inbounds and earned turns respectively).

Seriously, reach out to Micol or WRG for the full insight.

Flylow shell materials

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    It’s not the layering/fabric that’s different, it’s the waterproof/breathability ratings. Two ladies in our family are in the Billie Goat which is the women’s version of the Quantum. It’s 20k/20k. My son is in the Knight. It’s 10k/10k.

We are Colorado/Utah/Wyoming and both are excellent. Lower rated Knight seems fine even on wet days, but he’s 19 and doesn’t give a shit anyway.
    Does your son’s Knight feel about the same as the Billie Goat or is it a lot more thin and flimsy?

Flylow shell materials

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Does your son’s Knight feel about the same as the Billie Goat or is it a lot more thin and flimsy?
    It is far from flimsy. He absolutely pounded a tree branch with his chest and while it shows the scar cosmetically, the fabric was pretty much intact (his chest, less so). I was impressed.

It does not feel quite as bomber as the Billie, but it is not flimsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Flylow makes great shit and i skied in them for years. Then Freeride Systems picked up and and I fully converted. Antero II and II plus in the quiver (inbounds and earned turns respectively).

Seriously, reach out to Micol or WRG for the full insight.
    100%. Was an Arc'teryx fanboy for a long time but I have seen the light. The fit of FRS is better than any ski jacket I have ever worn but isn't cut so long or baggy that it can't be used as an all around hardshell. I haven't gotten to ski in it yet but the feel of this thing is bomber. Absolutely bomber. Wore it on the 30 min walk to my car in a decent downpour the entire time and it beaded like nothing I've seen before.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    The fit of FRS
    my n=1 was the the fit of FRS was completely odd, just unrelated to any normal sizing system w/ strange proportions. I do say this fully aware i'm not a conventional size. Also, i realize that is contrary to the fanbase enthusiasm here, but i make a point not to slag them as they do support the community well.
    i will give them that they are the only hood that can comfortably fit my long neck/head & xl smith helmet

the XL flylow jacket fits pretty darn well for me at 6-5, 205 w/ 43 chest/36" sleeve, tho i might ask them for a hair of extra hood space