Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast
Results 926 to 950 of 956
  1. #926
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    2,059
    Always been a huge college football fan, but really just a Duck fan and rarely watched games outside of the PAC. Really bummed that it’s fallen apart. PAC leadership (Larry Scott) has been really bad but TV revenues have sucked because both FUCLA and the University of Spoiled Children have sucked for the last decade. BIG 10-12-14 got 2 teams that can’t fill their stadiums and haven’t been winners in a long time. So the Ducks, Utes and Fuskies have carried water for the PAC and the SoCal teams just bail, couldn’t be more on brand. Hell the nerds have had better football teams than the LA teams in the last decade. Word is that FOX approached the 2 schools about joining the big10-12-14 while negotiating the TV deal, NOT THE BIG10. Fuckers ruin the country with faux news and then come and ruin my college football experience. God damn. Rupert Murdoch should’ve never been let out of Australia, nothing but criminals I tell ya. It’s all going to end in super conferences, but the swamp rats and cougs will probably get left behind. Which bums me out. Maybe the 2 conferences just fully merge and have the Rose Bowl as the championship game. That’s about the only result that would make me feel alright.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

  2. #927
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Always been a huge college football fan, but really just a Duck fan and rarely watched games outside of the PAC. Really bummed that it’s fallen apart. PAC leadership (Larry Scott) has been really bad but TV revenues have sucked because both FUCLA and the University of Spoiled Children have sucked for the last decade. BIG 10-12-14 got 2 teams that can’t fill their stadiums and haven’t been winners in a long time. So the Ducks, Utes and Fuskies have carried water for the PAC and the SoCal teams just bail, couldn’t be more on brand. Hell the nerds have had better football teams than the LA teams in the last decade. Word is that FOX approached the 2 schools about joining the big10-12-14 while negotiating the TV deal, NOT THE BIG10. Fuckers ruin the country with faux news and then come and ruin my college football experience. God damn. Rupert Murdoch should’ve never been let out of Australia, nothing but criminals I tell ya. It’s all going to end in super conferences, but the swamp rats and cougs will probably get left behind. Which bums me out. Maybe the 2 conferences just fully merge and have the Rose Bowl as the championship game. That’s about the only result that would make me feel alright.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    TV revenues have sucked because Larry Scott signed the worst media distribution contract in sports history. That really is the genesis of this entire thread.

    Lots of rumors today about Oregon and Utah following UCLA and USC.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  3. #928
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    2,059
    Larry Scott was an absolute disaster. PAC-12 presidents were never focused on sports. I can’t blame them. They’re in charge of universities not sports but they were the ones who could fire Scott. With all of Phil’s connections, there’s no way the Ducks get left out in the cold. People often forget he’s the swamp rats biggest donor too. So I’d imagine he’d try to help them out too. Nike puts the threads on half of the schools in CFB. NCAA is a joke, Phil needs to get on the horn and tell everyone to figure this shit out. It’s not good for anyone.

  4. #929
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    59715
    Posts
    4,868
    This sucks big hairy balls, and some of it is on the time zone, but most of the blame goes to PAC12.

    Travel is going to suck for those kids.

    Go Bruins Beat SC

  5. #930
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Larry Scott was an absolute disaster. PAC-12 presidents were never focused on sports. I can’t blame them. They’re in charge of universities not sports but they were the ones who could fire Scott. With all of Phil’s connections, there’s no way the Ducks get left out in the cold. People often forget he’s the swamp rats biggest donor too. So I’d imagine he’d try to help them out too. Nike puts the threads on half of the schools in CFB. NCAA is a joke, Phil needs to get on the horn and tell everyone to figure this shit out. It’s not good for anyone.
    PK might flex a bit in behalf of the Ducks but he's not going to touch that hornets nest of total realignment of conferences. This might be how the NCAA ends how they operate though with NIL rubbing their nose in shit on an hourly basis. Nike trying to say anything to dictate realignment will just lead to each program telling them to fuck off and getting a new outfitter. The highest deal is roughly $10 mil.si both Adidas and UA will fill that void in about 3 minutes. Probably a couple Chinese companies licking their chops to get in the game if there is any real licensing deal chaos.

  6. #931
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    2,059
    Maybe I didn’t explain myself correctly. I’m not saying Phil can flex and manipulate the changes. But he’s got everyone’s number and they’ll take his call. He has a little bit of long game foresight and hopefully can talk some sense into people so this thing moves forward in a way that is beneficial to most. He’ll at least make sure Oregon doesn’t get left out (same way he’s going to buy the Blazers, ensuring they don’t leave town). Also he’s actually no longer active in Nike business decisions. Only thing holding the NCAA up is the basketball tournament. But all these schools also have other sports, and all those athletes are going to get screwed. The worst thing about all this realignment is that although it appears to be the schools fighting it out it’s really just FOX vs ESPN. ESPN is all in SEC, and was the magic hand behind UT and OU going to the SEC and FOX is the magic hand behind this move.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

  7. #932
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,630
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    I can’t wait for a 32 team college football league with two conferences each with four divisions.

    the pac12 has a huge geographic hurdle being three hours later than almost half of the country.
    Yep, Pacific Coast will need to leave the Pacific Time Zone if it wants to stay competitive.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  8. #933
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,560
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Lots of rumors today about Oregon and Utah following UCLA and USC.
    I'd be shocked if the B1G would take Utah over the Huskies. While Utah has been better recently, UW has the bigger name and fan base.

    That said, this all sucks. These conference alignments make no sense from a geographic or competitive perspective.

  9. #934
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    29,061
    Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I'd be shocked if the B1G would take Utah over the Huskies. While Utah has been better recently, UW has the bigger name and fan base.

    That said, this all sucks. These conference alignments make no sense from a geographic or competitive perspective.
    The chatter down here in SEC country is Oregon and Washington maybe Stanford for the media markets. Big 10 now has the top three media markets and I believe six or seven out of the top 10.
    I still call it The Jake.

  10. #935
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
    Posts
    1,954

    2021 College Football Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I'd be shocked if the B1G would take Utah over the Huskies. While Utah has been better recently, UW has the bigger name and fan base.

    That said, this all sucks. These conference alignments make no sense from a geographic or competitive perspective.
    Not to mention the travel all the teams in their athletic programs will have to make on a weekly basis?

    It’s unbelievable to think that creating these super conferences and the travel that is involved is in the best interest of the “student athlete”…….

    It’s a shame to see how greed is so magnified and just dictates everything in the world right now. Gordon Gekko is smiling his ass off…
    Last edited by BC.; 07-01-2022 at 08:34 AM.

  11. #936
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    29,061
    I think the lesson from this is, you can't be a regional conference anymore. Shit, the SEC covers over a third of the country now. It's an arms race and as much as I may not like it (I prefer my B1G with 11 teams thank you very much), it's either hop on board and get to a good landing spot like USC and UCLA did, or get used to being an ACC-west also-ran.
    I still call it The Jake.

  12. #937
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
    Posts
    1,954

    2021 College Football Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I think the lesson from this is, you can't be a regional conference anymore. Shit, the SEC covers over a third of the country now. It's an arms race and as much as I may not like it (I prefer my B1G with 11 teams thank you very much), it's either hop on board and get to a good landing spot like USC and UCLA did, or get used to being an ACC-west also-ran.
    If they are heading down the road of super conferences (which they are)….I hope they can at least change the names of the conferences.

    My other questions are…

    -what does this do to schools/conferences like the Ivy League, Patriot League, America East, NEC, MAAC, etc. Do they all just go to DIII?…..

    -what about NCAA Championships….will they only let teams in the super conferences in? Again…forcing “smaller” conferences to eventually go to DIII?

    The decisions being made are just so money driven…and will change college sports forever. Is it better???

  13. #938
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    29,061
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    If they are heading down the road of super conferences (which they are)….I hope they can at least change the names of the conferences.

    My other questions are…

    -what does this do to schools/conferences like the Ivy League, Patriot League, America East, NEC, MAAC, etc. Do they all just go to DIII?…..

    -what about NCAA Championships….will they only let teams in the super conferences in? Again…forcing “smaller” conferences to eventually go to DIII?

    The decisions being made are just so money driven…and will change college sports forever. Is it better???
    I think, without giving more than 2 seconds of thought, is that Football needs to be its own thing, separate and apart from all the other sports.

    We've seen how a small school can compete with power conference schools in just about every other sport, but football is so different (money, talent pool, expense, NIL, etc.) that it might make more sense to have one super conference for football and all other sports (and lesser divisions of football) get to stick in whatever conference (and division) that best suits them.

    Take the MAC for example. I find it a highly entertaining form of CFB, and it works because its hyper-regional, they decided to do things differently in terms of coverage (ESPN midweek-MACtion TV deal), and its competitive. They're not trying to punch up to the B1G or Big 12, and they shouldn't try to have to in order to stay alive.
    I still call it The Jake.

  14. #939
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I think, without giving more than 2 seconds of thought, is that Football needs to be its own thing, separate and apart from all the other sports.

    We've seen how a small school can compete with power conference schools in just about every other sport, but football is so different (money, talent pool, expense, NIL, etc.) that it might make more sense to have one super conference for football and all other sports (and lesser divisions of football) get to stick in whatever conference (and division) that best suits them.

    Take the MAC for example. I find it a highly entertaining form of CFB, and it works because its hyper-regional, they decided to do things differently in terms of coverage (ESPN midweek-MACtion TV deal), and its competitive. They're not trying to punch up to the B1G or Big 12, and they shouldn't try to have to in order to stay alive.
    Agree..

  15. #940
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    If they are heading down the road of super conferences (which they are)….I hope they can at least change the names of the conferences.

    My other questions are…

    -what does this do to schools/conferences like the Ivy League, Patriot League, America East, NEC, MAAC, etc. Do they all just go to DIII?…..

    -what about NCAA Championships….will they only let teams in the super conferences in? Again…forcing “smaller” conferences to eventually go to DIII?

    The decisions being made are just so money driven…and will change college sports forever. Is it better???
    Patriot is FCS, they have their own playoffs, championship, etc (for football)

  16. #941
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
    Posts
    1,954

    2021 College Football Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    Patriot is FCS, they have their own playoffs, championship, etc (for football)
    Yes,…sorry, I was thinking/referring to all the athletic programs at those schools.

    Is this move to super conferences just for football?….or is it all the athletic programs at the respective schools? (Haven’t heard/read about that yet?)

  17. #942
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    16,532
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Agree..
    X2.

    I've been thinking about the NCAA hoops tournaments and how they do the automatic bids as well as the at-large bids. Mega conferences would need to get more than one bid or it would become a very strange tournament. Which is why it would make sense to have football be its own carve out.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

  18. #943
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    1,950
    Just heard on the radio that the move to big 10 is football only. Can’t confirm

  19. #944
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ne pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,238
    Rose Bowl just took a dive.

  20. #945
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    Just heard on the radio that the move to big 10 is football only. Can’t confirm
    Seems crazy that the rest of the conference would agree to that after getting blind sided.

  21. #946
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    16,532
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Seems crazy that the rest of the conference would agree to that after getting blind sided.
    yeah, fuck that.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

  22. #947
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    Just heard on the radio that the move to big 10 is football only. Can’t confirm
    Just read this in Baseball America….so maybe it is all sports?

    https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...lege-baseball/ How Would UCLA, USC Moving To The Big Ten Impact College Baseball?

  23. #948
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,560
    Everything yesterday in SI and ESPN was that it was all sports. I would expect a few sports to either be cut or become club so they can continue to compete (e.g. USC beach volleyball).

  24. #949
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    1,950
    Yep. All sports

  25. #950
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Loveland, Chair 9.
    Posts
    4,808
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I think the lesson from this is, you can't be a regional conference anymore. Shit, the SEC covers over a third of the country now. It's an arms race and as much as I may not like it (I prefer my B1G with 11 teams thank you very much), it's either hop on board and get to a good landing spot like USC and UCLA did, or get used to being an ACC-west also-ran.
    ACC next to go imo. if north carolina can leverage its basketball heft into either the sec or big 10, cant see it not doing it and crushing another legendary rivalry of unc-duke. ou-nerbraska was one of the biggest games of the year decades ago, now its barely known it existed.
    college sports firmly all in the "i got mine" phase. future of sports about to suck for anyone not able to do that and so will recruiting for them. top recruits arent going to the bug12 or pac now. even playing for minnesota now has a better opportunity and more chances to sell your likeness that college athletes can now do than playing for washington.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •