Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    SEC football crazy can't be compared to University of Oregon football. People here just aren't that invested here, emotionally or financially. If you take Phil Knight and Pat Kilkenny out of the booster financial pool there just isn't much there. I'm not taking about the relative wealth of a state rather what the average donor is willing to pony up into the big bucket.
    Right. that's my point. Does a school l like Alabam have a big-money booster base to float such a program? I can see the Georgias and Floridas of the world do this, no problem. I also realize that the SEC TV dollars are huge... but that can't be it on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Right. that's my point. Does a school l like Alabam have a big-money booster base to float such a program? I can see the Georgias and Floridas of the world do this, no problem. I also realize that the SEC TV dollars are huge... but that can't be it on its own.
    2019 Alabama football made a profit of $48 million on revenue of $111 million. That’s maybe more sustainable than being one of many schools trying to court a pool of boosters, all of whom want to win now, in a college football scene where there’s only a handful of winners. Have to think the booster scene will start to dry up as thinks shake out.

I never get worked up over coaches leaving, they usually left somewhere else to get to to their destination. Whoever they get it will take a season or two to recover. I think Wilcox is a decent coach but not elite, the timing of this makes it tough since most of poachable guys have been picked over. Let's see if they can pull a Dana Altman out if their hat and make a run in the near future.
    Idk how many times I have told my 23 yo recent Duck grad that having an elite football team in Eugene is a privilege not a right.
    If they're gonna make a real run it needs to be soon before uncle Phil kicks the bucket, he's getting old. NOBODY can throw that kind of juice at the program, certainly not Kilkenny and we just don't have that kind of wealth in the state.
    I think that Phil will make a push for a big name. He knows he’s getting old and without a doubt he wants a championship at Oregon more than anything now. One of the reasons I really liked bellotti is he had a great eye for getting other good coaches and was loyal. He had us close to a championship a few times without elite talent. Totally in agreement that having an elite program in Eugene is an anomaly. I remember the independence bowl with Musgrave at QB was the Ducks first bowl game in over 20 years. Maybe they bring him out of the NFL where he’s been a good OC for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Dabo and Clemson have been a total class act in helping Brent Venerables transition to Oklahoma.

Rattler is transferring to UCLA.. That ought make for an interesting game vs USC.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Gotta say that Brian Kelly definitely said hey Riley, hold my beer!

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I think that Phil will make a push for a big name. He knows he’s getting old and without a doubt he wants a championship at Oregon more than anything now. One of the reasons I really liked bellotti is he had a great eye for getting other good coaches and was loyal. He had us close to a championship a few times without elite talent. Totally in agreement that having an elite program in Eugene is an anomaly. I remember the independence bowl with Musgrave at QB was the Ducks first bowl game in over 20 years. Maybe they bring him out of the NFL where he’s been a good OC for a long time.

He's at Cal.

2021 College Football Thread

That’s right. I only pay attention to the Ducks. Don’t think I watched any other college games this year. Now I do remember the CAL offense being pretty bland against the Ducks and being surprised due to all the experience he had in the NFL. I think I remember that Cal has some other guys with Oregon ties. I vividly remember Wilcox missing 2 blocks (hated that guy in high school, but we beat him in his senior season as the mighty seaside seagulls won the 3a championship that year, also beat future duck Kellen Clemons that year in Burns, game was in the snow and all us coasties were freezing) that allowed Stanford to block 2 punts and give us our only loss with Joey as QB. That team got screwed out of the BCS championship in favor of Nebraska who lost the big 12 championship game to Colorado but still went to the championship game and got creamed by……..Miami. The Ducks destroyed Colorado in the fiesta bowl.

Perhaps I'm naive, but does Alabama have that sort of wealth? It would make sense that Georgia does, given that Atlanta is the city of the south, but Alabama strikes me as having less wealth than many of its neighbors.
    Bama is like the 3rd or 4th most profitable programs in America.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    That’s right. I only pay attention to the Ducks. Don’t think I watched any other college games this year. Now I do remember the CAL offense being pretty bland against the Ducks and being surprised due to all the experience he had in the NFL. I think I remember that Cal has some other guys with Oregon ties. I vividly remember Wilcox missing 2 blocks (hated that guy in high school, but we beat him in his senior season as the mighty seaside seagulls won the 3a championship that year, also beat future duck Kellen Clemons that year in Burns, game was in the snow and all us coasties were freezing) that allowed Stanford to block 2 punts and give us our only loss with Joey as QB. That team got screwed out of the BCS championship in favor of Nebraska who lost the big 12 championship game to Colorado but still went to the championship game and got creamed by……..Miami. The Ducks destroyed Colorado in the fiesta bowl.

Remember that Mario was picked up off the scrap heap after a very bad stint as HC at FIU. I would argue the ducks weren't winning it all with him as HC so I'm fine with him leaving. I could see Miami ending up disappointed

The absolutely insane amount of horribly stupid penalties the Ducks committed under Cristobal has to be indicative of his coaching. Especially the amount of infantile false starts by the O line. Loose, fun and fast are great in recruiting but don’t win games.

I agree that his coaching was shit. One of the better recruiters in college football but they never had any discipline and he was awful with QBs.

Wilcox is not the answer. Unproven and no splash to keep recruits. He may be a great coach but I think he's a last resort and a very safe one at that...he'd come home for a dollar.

One article mentioned Kiffen, several have targeted Aranda, ISU's coach, Kelly and BYU's coach. Other mentions are both Bama's O and D coordinators, and Clemson's offensive coordinator. Sounds like Petersen is unlikely. What about Coach O? And you know Uncle Phil has called that slimy finger blaster Urban Meyer at least once today.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

The “Pancake Factory” will offer offensive linemen at UT Austin $50,000 in NIL cash next year. The age of paid college athletes has begun.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hou...t-16680268.php

Begun?

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Begun?

True, I could have worded that better.

Does seem like a milestone, though. Just 3 years ago UMHB had to vacate their D3 National championship because a coach let a player use his car for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Remember that Mario was picked up off the scrap heap after a very bad stint as HC at FIU. I would argue the ducks weren't winning it all with him as HC so I'm fine with him leaving. I could see Miami ending up disappointed
    Not a Mario fanboy but being the lead recruiter/associate head coach at Alabama isn't exactly the scarp heap. He wasn't hired as head coach here, promoted within after Taggert bailed. Ultimately the Ducks are in much better shape today compared to the state of things post Helfrich/Taggert. I agree he wasn't going to take them to the top but the Ducks have only really had a couple chances in the last 20 years. Their best year was when Dennis Dixon blew out his knee under Belotti and Chip Kelly as OC and when Chip Kelly really had the whole college world stymied for a few years. The Helfrich year VS. Auburn was just him renting the Kelly program for a quick drive with Mariotta. Fucking Helfrich's idea of QB recruiting was getting BigSky graduates... BOTH Mariotta and Herbert were not highly rated out of high shcool . I know fans argue Helfrich developed Mariotta but in my opinion they just got lucky with not only Mariotta but also Herbert. NOBODY wanted those guys coming out of high school.
    Mario's biggest failure will be he didn't utilize Herbert in a offense to take advantage of his cannon and speed.
    IF the Ducks are going to win the NATTY it really needs to be in the next 5-6 years.
    Hoping the two PK's can pull some serious juice and bring in a closer.

Not a Mario fanboy but being the lead recruiter/associate head coach at Alabama isn't exactly the scarp heap.
    Yeah, maybe that was harsh. My point was that there was a good amount of evidence that he's a dogshit head coach...but obviously great recruiter. Remember when they hired Mario to move up and replace Taggart it was a tough decision between him and Jim Leavitt..I remember wanting Leavitt...but the argument was that Mario's recruiting would be better and that his deficiencies as a HC could be mitigated with assistants. That turned out to be mostly wrong. Oh well...

Yeah, the program is better off than it was after Helfrich...could be some rough years ahead tho if they're unable to get a big name as HC.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Harbaugh named the AP Coach of the Year.

Wait, what!? Luke Fickel gets UC to the big dance and isn’t the CotY? And I’m a Michigan fan.

You’re drunk, AP.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Begun?

the beguine

Dan Lanning to Oregon. While not as splashy as some fans would have wanted, I think it makes a lot of sense. Ran the best defense in college football...in the SEC. By all accounts a voracious recruiter and a brilliant x/o guy. Get him a solid OC and see what happens.

Players and recruits are apparently stoked, so that's good. And I'm excited to see a defense minded coach at Oregon. Up until Anthony Brown, offense was never the problem. I think Lanning grabs a transfer QB if he wants and solves that one quickly. Rattler or Brennan would do well with that reviewing core.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

2021 College Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Dan Lanning to Oregon. While not as splashy as some fans would have wanted, I think it makes a lot of sense. Ran the best defense in college football...in the SEC. By all accounts a voracious recruiter and a brilliant x/o guy. Get him a solid OC and see what happens.

Players and recruits are apparently stoked, so that's good. And I'm excited to see a defense minded coach at Oregon. Up until Anthony Brown, offense was never the problem. I think Lanning grabs a transfer QB if he wants and solves that one quickly. Rattler or Brennan would do well with that reviewing core.
    And, apparently, first game of the season: Oregon vs his old team Georgia

Yes, Bama has plenty of boosters with fuck-you money. Saben’s biggest success is getting them all to step in line. Much of the chaos prior to him was due to infighting between really wealthy people. Mike Price was fired because some boosters didn’t like him.

Generally “It just means more” applies to the wealthy as fuck boosters more than anyone else.

Interesting hire by Oregon. Also interesting, both Washington and Oregon basically told Aranda to name his price, and he is staying in Baylor for now. Whereas Lincoln Riley was making it known back in October he was open to leaving. I guess sometimes it doesn’t mean more.

I kind of like the hire. Let a young guy with recruiting chops build an identity and give him a fat contract for round 2. IF they can bring in a QB whisperer Ty Thompson has a high ceiling, just young and inexperienced at this point. With Lannings defensive acumen maybe they can buy the young QB some margin of error next year. EVEN if the Georgia defense was Kirby Smart let's hope Lanning learned on the job for a last few years to build a high level d.
    Kelly and Wilcox both would have been a big step back and a step into the unknown here looks to have alot of potential upside. Like it or not the real action is in recruiting in college football and having enough cash to take advantage of NIL when it all gets ironed out.

Dan Lanning to Oregon.
    Did Jimmy Sexton represent him? Probably. Good luck with that hire.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Interesting hire. I’ll hope for the best. Can’t comment much because I have zero knowledge of Lanning. But he doesn’t seem like coach that’ll stay long if he’s successful.