Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    I’ve been saying to my buddies that I’d prefer the Ducks to go to the rose bowl and win than make the playoffs and probably get smoked by Alabama. But if Ducks and Buckeyes both win out and buckeyes get in over Ducks then it’ll just completely prove that this system is absolute garbage.

2021 College Football Thread

MSU is one of the teams who is currently one of the 4 currently in the CFP…. We play MSU in 2 weeks so if we win they will be out and we will take their spot…. We will still have to play Michigan at Michigan after that so we have a ways to go…. If you guys win out which you should you are in…. When we played PSU they were ranked 20th so if we can win out than fuck yeah we should be in…. And Alabama and GA will more than likely have to play one another and if Alabama loses no way will they make it in with 2 loses…

I am confused why you keep thinking we will take the Ducks spot if we win out when we have to play MSU…. And I am going to go out on a limb here but if we can or able to beat 2 teams in the top 10 and win the Big 10 championship which would be another top 20 team I would have to bet our strength of schedule will be much greater than the Ducks….

Not looking at the stats but yep you beat the Bucks but other than you guys I believe the only other PAC 12 team in the top 25 is Fresno St and they just entered the top 25…

And Alta, I am with you as I would prefer not to play Alabama or GA this year…. Now next year I will be singing a diff tune with the majority of true freshman starting this year will have a full year under their belt…. We absolutely have the talent and depth but several players with no real reps as a Buck…. Our entire backfield on defense only has one starter from last year on defense and all are first time starters…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Of course your strength of schedule will be better. But the basic fact is and will be the Ducks beat the buckeyes head to head. The way I see that game was already essentially a playoff game between the two teams and we all know the result. As a pac 8, big 10 traditionalist (and I’m not exactly old) I will always take a rose bowl trophy. Especially as a born, bred and alum duck fan. It’s not like we have many in the trophy case. My first memory of Autzen was sneaking in by walking via coordinated steps underneath my grandma’s rain jacket when ND came to town. Coming from a catholic and duck family that game was huge. Living in Utah now I love to tell Mormons how I was there to see the Ducks beat a highly ranked Ty Detmer BYU team get beat at Autzen. My favorite duck memory was being in the house for “the pick”. That play gets me emotionally to this day. It was what turned us from one of the worst football programs in the country to a good program. When it comes down to it. I could give a fuck about all the other conferences, give me a pac 8,10, 12 championship and a rose bowl game. But head to head should mean something and if it doesn’t, then what’s the point of playing. I’m very partial to the euro soccer system, team with most points wins it all. Fuck post season TV oriented bullshit, every game is a playoff. True championships are settled on the field not based on bs metrics. Gin and tonic rant over. Go Ducks! And this week is the most important game of the year. Got to beat the fuskies!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Walk-on alumni.

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    I missed the memo that you can only be a fan if you went to that school? Weird.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Walk-on alumni.
    Fan

ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Of course your strength of schedule will be better. But the basic fact is and will be the Ducks beat the buckeyes head to head. The way I see that game was already essentially a playoff game between the two teams and we all know the result. As a pac 8, big 10 traditionalist (and I’m not exactly old) I will always take a rose bowl trophy. Especially as a born, bred and alum duck fan. It’s not like we have many in the trophy case. My first memory of Autzen was sneaking in by walking via coordinated steps underneath my grandma’s rain jacket when ND came to town. Coming from a catholic and duck family that game was huge. Living in Utah now I love to tell Mormons how I was there to see the Ducks beat a highly ranked Ty Detmer BYU team get beat at Autzen. My favorite duck memory was being in the house for “the pick”. That play gets me emotionally to this day. It was what turned us from one of the worst football programs in the country to a good program. When it comes down to it. I could give a fuck about all the other conferences, give me a pac 8,10, 12 championship and a rose bowl game. But head to head should mean something and if it doesn’t, then what’s the point of playing. I’m very partial to the euro soccer system, team with most points wins it all. Fuck post season TV oriented bullshit, every game is a playoff. True championships are settled on the field not based on bs metrics. Gin and tonic rant over. Go Ducks! And this week is the most important game of the year. Got to beat the fuskies!

TOSU guys are thinking about it a little wrong IMO.

Assuming UGA wins out means Bama is out of the CFP. If Bama beats UGA then maybe both are in the CFP still. Regardless, one spot is going to an SEC team IMO.

Then there are still a number of undefeated teams outside of the Big 10 and SEC. Oklahoma and Wake are examples. If one or both win out one or both will be in the CFP.

I think Cinci is hosed as discussed previously.

What I was getting at is if there is one spot left vacant and TOSU wins out and Oregon wins out. CFB will bump TOSU over Oregon because of their schedule down the stretch as Undertow points out as being more difficult than the Ducks. In that regard they'll basically ignore the fact that Oregon beat TOSU and slide them in at the 4th spot. I agree since MSU and Mich matchups are harder than anything in front of Oregon. Wisconsin shouldn't even be ranked IMO, so if TOSU make it to the Big 10 championship that game should be easy.

Is that scenario, or one similar going to happen? fuck if I know, but it seems possible.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Walk-on alumni.
    yeah, the “we” affectation gets weird with college football fans.

I was at that BYU game. I count that as the true start of the new Duck era. Bill Musgrave really changed the direction of a sad, sad program.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    I was at that BYU game. I count that as the true start of the new Duck era. Bill Musgrave really changed the direction of a sad, sad program.
    I was there, too. I'm an Oregonian BYU fan and went to go see Ty Detmer. Needless to say we didn't love the result. I agree that's when Oregon started to turn the corner. I remembered both UofO and OSU being terrible for most of my growing up years. It still feels odd to see them highly ranked. It was really weird when the Beavers were decent back in the early part of this century.

Oregon beat Ohio State at Ohio State.

What’s Ohio State’s argument? Look at the other games!

Why should we? Oregon came into your house and beat you pretty soundly.

It comes down to $.

More eyeballs will turn to Ohio State so the BCS will pick them over the team that beat them in their own house.

And Ohio State fans will justify it. And know that Oregon was better than their team. And still crow about whatever result they get in the CFP.

BTW, Michigan isn’t that good and took a massive dump to lose to an also not very good MSU.

(And $ is also why Cinci has little shot at getting into the CFP)

Walk-on alumni might be the funniest thing I've read today.

Also, can we all just agree that the 4-team playoff doesn't work?

On an unrelated note from the second tier of football, midweek MACtion is a ton of fun. I watched (or had on in the background) that Kent St.-Northern Illinois game last night and a couple others this season and they're hilariously good fun. Tons of scoring, drunken, frozen college kids cheering their asses off in half-empty stadiums, playground style offense and tons of scoring - all for teams I couldn't care less about.

That has been way more fun than the CFP discussion for sure.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post

It comes down to $.

More eyeballs will turn to Ohio State so the BCS will pick them over the team that beat them in their own house.

And Ohio State fans will justify it. And know that Oregon was better than their team. And still crow about whatever result they get in the CFP.

BTW, Michigan isn’t that good and took a massive dump to lose to an also not very good MSU.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    yeah, the “we” affectation
    This. And when you give your family history or geography or whatever the fuck to justify your "we" WTF are you arguing? think about it.

and in fairness I don't think Montanaskier has ever said "we" on alabama.
    "Can't you see..."

If Ohio State and Oregon both win out they will both be in the Playoff… unfortunately Oregon is unlikely to play the true PAC-12 south champions BYU, but that would have been fun.

Yawn. Next. Maybe Ohio St will miss out if OU goes undefeated but… really don’t see that happening.
    Gotta be an interesting time in Norman right now. About to join the Big Boys but also maybe coming to realize it just means you get your lunch money stolen more often. Speaking of which, who they gonna hire for their HC to lead them through the minefield of the SEC?

I think way too much attention is paid to winning in college football. I think teams should be judged on the size of their mascot. And Stanford’s tree doesn’t count. Their actual mascot is a color.

^ One word.

Cocky.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Xavier, not glossing over at all…. The only reason why I raised the point is another poster earlier stated that the west/other divisions have a harder time competing because of the money the Big 10 and SEC spend and just wanted to point out the West/Oregon is no different…. They sure as shit spend and generate like the big boys so that really can’t be used as an excuse…

The positive for Duck fans is I do not believe you have another top 25 ranked team to play remaining so you should be good for the final 4…

Oregon generate like the big boy? Umm... no. Spend? Sure. But not nearly to the level of the other teams in the top five of the rankings at the moment. Like was stated previously; it's one booster and Oregon is the exception, not the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    How about this...I'll bet you if the ducks and the buckeyes win out that the buckeyes make the final four.
    I'd take that bet because you're right.

I’ve been saying to my buddies that I’d prefer the Ducks to go to the rose bowl and win than make the playoffs and probably get smoked by Alabama. But if Ducks and Buckeyes both win out and buckeyes get in over Ducks then it’ll just completely prove that this system is absolute garbage.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    I remember listening to Ducks games on the radio as a kid because that was the only way you could get the game. Oregon was far too bad at football to earn a broadcast, even in Oregon. Musgrave had a lot do with turning that around.

It comes down to $.

Someone gets it.

I also get the impression that the CFP Committee is really just acquiescing to a national bias... almost as if at the beginning of the season, the 'best' college football teams are selected by collective group-think. Then, as the season progresses, rankings are slanted towards these biases. Examples are OU, Alabama, Georgia, and OSU. Sure, they play other teams, but win or lose; they are explained away in such a manner to support why they should be ranked at the time. It's the same four or five teams every year.

It's still a fucked up shitshow if a TWO loss SEC team gets on over ZERO loss ACC AND BIG12 Champions..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I'm an admin on a college football group with over 50,000 OU fans. I see the OU version of this all the time there.

Name:  NCAA-FanDiploma-AlabamaCrimsonTideVer2_large.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  39.2 KB
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

It comes down to $.

Who is making that argument…? The Ducks beat us in our house and should be ranked in front of us…. And as I said several times if you guys win out you will get in which you should with your remaining schedule…

What cracks me up is now we are going to have to play two ranked teams in the top 10 and your assessment is they are both overrated…. Both MSU and Big Blue are playing solid football on both sides of the ball…. You guys lose to Stanford who is not ranked with a losing record and excuse that loss away (injuries and bad officiating)…

Below is just one of many comments made by analysts about Oregon and the PAC 12…:

“Despite Oregon's placement, it wasn't a good night for the Pac-12. The Ducks are the only team from the conference in the rankings, which means the league got fewer teams in the top 25 than the Mountain West.”

Knowing you guys you will explain MWs having more teams in the top 25 is due to a bias towards the MW by the committee…

I will leave it at this and will state again you guys should be ranked ahead of the Bucks and truly hope you do make it to the playoffs…. There are still so many more games and as always happens there are going to be several more twists and turns…

God I love college football…! O-H

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Who is making that argument…? The Ducks beat us in our house and should be ranked in front of us…. And as I said several times if you guys win out you will get in which you should with your remaining schedule…

What cracks me up is now we are going to have to play two ranked teams in the top 10 and your assessment is they are both overrated…. Both MSU and Big Blue are playing solid football on both sides of the ball…. You guys lose to Stanford who is not ranked with a losing record and excuse that loss away (injuries and bad officiating)…

Below is just one of many comments made by analysts about Oregon and the PAC 12…:

“Despite Oregon's placement, it wasn't a good night for the Pac-12. The Ducks are the only team from the conference in the rankings, which means the league got fewer teams in the top 25 than the Mountain West.”

Knowing you guys you will explain MWs having more teams in the top 25 is due to a bias towards the MW by the committee…

I will leave it at this and will state again you guys should be ranked ahead of the Bucks and truly hope you do make it to the playoffs…. There are still so many more games and as always happens there are going to be several more twists and turns…

God I love college football…! O-H

I think you're wrong, but who knows. Seriously, I'll bet you $100 to your favorite charity that if the Ducks and Buckeyes win out and it's between them at ranks 4 & 5 that the TOSU will make it into the CFP over the ducks. I appreciate you understanding that this outcome would be complete BS.

You're not making the argument, BTW, but you're doing everything close to it. The Buckeyes are young, they are really playing well NOW, they have a harder schedule, they Big 10 is better than the Pac12, etc. etc. etc.

The Mountain West has some good teams this year for sure. Fresno State would be a top 4 team in the Big 10 this season is my guess, which might get them into the CFP.

This. And when you give your family history or geography or whatever the fuck to justify your "we" WTF are you arguing? think about it.

Never have, never would....I didn’t play

ROLL TIDE ROLL

What the flying fuck are the fine people in Alabama going to do on a weds day other than call Paul Finebaum about a school they couldn’t go to despite depressingly low admittance standards?

And here I was thinking SC would be looking for all the help they could get this season. I’m pretty sure they’d take a “walk-on” at QB if we could find them one.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."