Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Ya everyone's billing The Alamo Bowl as two leaderless teams in a state of chaos... anything can happen and they expect it to be ugly with turnovers and blown coverages and stuff..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    The game yesterday did not disappoint. My $10 got me a seat on the 45 yd line 2 rows up from the field. Pretty good for an actual NCAA playoff game :-).

Linfield looked good early in the game, and a few other times, but UMHB cruised to a 49-24 victory. On to the semifinals at Whitewater! Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll be able to make that trip, or to Canton, either, for the Stagg bowl if they happen to make it that far.

Go Cru!
    Well, my new home town team (UMHB) made it through to the D3 final “Stagg Bowl” in Canton OH this Friday. Go Cru! Yeah, I know it’s just D3, but it’s fun to watch. Could have used some of these guys at UT Austin this year.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Yes, Bama has plenty of boosters with fuck-you money. Saben’s biggest success is getting them all to step in line. Much of the chaos prior to him was due to infighting between really wealthy people. Mike Price was fired because some boosters didn’t like him.

Generally “It just means more” applies to the wealthy as fuck boosters more than anyone else.

Interesting hire by Oregon. Also interesting, both Washington and Oregon basically told Aranda to name his price, and he is staying in Baylor for now. Whereas Lincoln Riley was making it known back in October he was open to leaving. I guess sometimes it doesn’t mean more.
    Oh, I have no doubt that boosters finally stepped up and helped elevate the program. My question was around why Alabama has such wealthy boosters. Earlier, it was assumed that Oregon doesn't have the donor base because we (as a state) don't have the industry which I don't think it true, especially when in comparison to Alabama (as a state). Maybe it's ignorance or my bias against the south coming out but I would think Alabama would be much like Oregon and not have the donor base. What am I missing? Is Mobile and the port business really that lucrative? Something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Oh, I have no doubt that boosters finally stepped up and helped elevate the program. My question was around why Alabama has such wealthy boosters. Earlier, it was assumed that Oregon doesn't have the donor base because we (as a state) don't have the industry which I don't think it true, especially when in comparison to Alabama (as a state). Maybe it's ignorance or my bias against the south coming out but I would think Alabama would be much like Oregon and not have the donor base. What am I missing? Is Mobile and the port business really that lucrative? Something else?
    Plenty of industry in Alabama, also plenty of fuck you money from the historic landed gentry. Much of it is old country club money.it’s not that they stepped up per say as Saben got them to stop fighting each other and do whatever he told them too. Prior to that they were trying to compete with each other for influence. See Mike Price for how one group can fight the hire of another group.

There’s also political buyin to use the university as a tool to attract young people to Alabama, especially from northern states, and the free advertising on tv plays to that. Oregon not so convinced it wants more people.

Well, my new home town team (UMHB) made it through to the D3 final “Stagg Bowl” in Canton OH this Friday. Go Cru! Yeah, I know it’s just D3, but it’s fun to watch. Could have used some of these guys at UT Austin this year.
    You keep referencing UMHB……who is UMHB? I’m being stubborn by not looking it up, but for the life of me, I can’t figure out the acronym. It might help if we actually knew the school you keep referring to.

Who are they playing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Dan Lanning to Oregon. While not as splashy as some fans would have wanted, I think it makes a lot of sense. Ran the best defense in college football...in the SEC. By all accounts a voracious recruiter and a brilliant x/o guy. Get him a solid OC and see what happens.

Players and recruits are apparently stoked, so that's good. And I'm excited to see a defense minded coach at Oregon. Up until Anthony Brown, offense was never the problem. I think Lanning grabs a transfer QB if he wants and solves that one quickly. Rattler or Brennan would do well with that reviewing core.
    Might as well give Ty Thompson reps in the bowl game. Can't be any worse than AB and Ty's red shirt will remain intact. Mario was a stellar recruiter and a decent coach but his stubbornness with Brown makes me glad he's gone. Sounds like Lanning is likely bringing in FSU's OC and potentially Tosh Lupoi. Tosh was a Dbag with the Huskies but can coach and recruit and has hopefully matured in his time with Saban.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    You keep referencing UMHB……who is UMHB? I’m being stubborn by not looking it up, but for the life of me, I can’t figure out the acronym. It might help if we actually knew the school you keep referring to.

Who are they playing?
    University of Mary Hardin Baylor. They used to be the all-women’s school paired with Baylor University (which initially was all-male). These days both schools are coed.

They are playing North Central in the Stagg Bowl, who got there by defeating Mt Union.

University of Mary Hardin Baylor. They used to be the all-women’s school paired with Baylor University (which initially was all-male). These days both schools are coed.

They are playing North Central in the Stagg Bowl, who got there by defeating Mt Union.
    Oh, and I should point out that “Mary Hardin” wasn’t a member of the Baylor family. She was a rich benefactor who saved the Baylor womens school from going under by giving them an endowment, so they renamed the school to include her name.

Also, some highlights of the UMHB / Whitewater game below. I’m hearing the word “Mossification” being used a lot lately to refer to a catch like Randy Moss would do when he’d go airborne and catch the pass over the defenders head. That term has been applied to several catches in this game by local reporters.

Last edited by billyk; 12-14-2021 at 09:54 AM.

the historic landed gentry. Much of it is old country club money.
    You just so don't get the south. "landed gentry." Hysterical. Keep it coming.
    "Can't you see..."

Plenty of industry in Alabama, also plenty of fuck you money from the historic landed gentry. Much of it is old country club money.it’s not that they stepped up per say as Saben got them to stop fighting each other and do whatever he told them too. Prior to that they were trying to compete with each other for influence. See Mike Price for how one group can fight the hire of another group.
    Interesting. I have no frame of reference, so I guess it makes sense? I'm still unsure how Oregon - as a state - can't measure up or isn't nearly as wealthy. Perhaps it's not? Perhaps I'm missing something? In any case, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    There’s also political buyin to use the university as a tool to attract young people to Alabama, especially from northern states, and the free advertising on tv plays to that. Oregon not so convinced it wants more people.
    It's true. We're full... no more room. And U of O seems to do a great job of landing California kids as students.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Well... lay it out for us northern aggressors.

My kid just said that now it looks like Rattler and Stogner are actually going Gamecocks instead of UCLA. @MT any chatter from your folks about that being true? I wish him them the best wherever they end up. That shit the OU fans pulled on Rattler was awful. I hope he kicks ass wherever he goes..

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    My kid just said that now it looks like Rattler and Stogner are actually going Gamecocks instead of UCLA. @MT any chatter from your folks about that being true? I wish him them the best wherever they end up. That shit the OU fans pulled on Rattler was awful. I hope he kicks ass wherever he goes..
    I think Rattler confirmed it himself on the Twitters……Committed to the Gamecocks.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

I'm pretty stoked. My Montana State Bobcats are heading to the semi-finals again. They upset the #1 seeded and defending national champion Sam Houston. Actually, they served them a beat down. At home. It was glorious!

https://www.ncaa.com/video/football/...-quarterfinals

They face South Dakota State, runners-up in the natty last year. And while the only unseeded team left, they are favored. However, the line has already come down when the Bobcats opened as a touchdown dog.

I hope I can make it to Bozeman this weekend because it's their first semi-final home game since 1984. And it's going to be loud.

As much as I hate the Bobcats, I'll be rooting for them this weekend. Gotta like the true freshman, Touchdown Tommy Mellott as the new QB.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Yeah, congrat's to the Bobcats. Wish Mellott would have picked Montana over MSU.

Buschini transferring to Nebraska...they get another good one.

Well... lay it out
    Not rocket surgery. No NFL until mid 60s all we had was college, and by then we owned it.

"Landed Gentry."
    WTF.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    I think Rattler confirmed it himself on the Twitters……Committed to the Gamecocks.
    Stogner's also confirmed to South Kakalaki. That should really help their offense immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    As much as I hate the Bobcats, I'll be rooting for them this weekend. Gotta like the true freshman, Touchdown Tommy Mellott as the new QB.
    I'll admit I was wrong about ol' Tommy Mullet (an inside joke from the SHSU game). He's certainly brought a spark and yet more wrinkles to our offense. Plus, now yelling, "BUTTE TOUGH" is more accurate and less of a dig at the Mining City.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Yeah, congrats to the Bobcats. Wish Mellott would have picked Montana over MSU.
    TM made the right choice.

You want me to just call it what it is?

Yeeehawww! UMHB pulled it off! 57-24 over North Central. NC was rated the better team all season until they finally met in the Stagg Bowl (D3 National Championship).
    Last edited by billyk; 12-17-2021 at 10:41 PM.

Cristo that was a nasty hit by 22 of Louisiana.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

2021 College Football Thread

The rich people in Alabama care more about football than rich people in Oregon. It’s that simple. Yes your bias against the south is obscuring your knowledge.
    You have no idea what SEC football is like. It’s 24/7

Alabama doesn’t have a Phil Knight, but they have numbers. And plenty of sidewalk fans that give.

2021 College Football Thread

Not rocket surgery. No NFL until mid 60s all we had was college, and by then we owned it.

"Landed Gentry."
    WTF.
    We all still have our plantations. Come on Marshall, our little secret is out.

the south isn’t run by murdaugh’s?