Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane 2021

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Maybe that part of the country should have some more stringent building codes? Say... something like this is the only thing allowed:
    Pretty much all the homes from the '50's and '60 were built short and squat out of brick in FL, low roof lines, nothing over 2/12 pitch, they are real obvious in the panhandle sitting next to homes that look like they could be in Indiana. Most of them survived on the beach over the decades until Ivan came through with a 35' storm surge and scraped all but a few off their foundations.

Love me some Jim Cantore. THUNDER SNOW!!!

It really is nuts, mainly because most will be rebuilt.

Our coast development is quite crazy, but, it's actually a bit worse over in Spain. I'm watching the Vuelta right now (for non bike race geeks, it's the Tour de France of Spain), and I'm up to stage six, where they come down to the Mediterranean around Valencia and Alicante, and, man, it's like a huge garden of condo buildings everywhere, right on the water. Do they get bad storms over there in the sea?

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Ivan came through with a 35' storm surge and scraped all but a few off their foundations.
    Dood—

HURRICANE IVAN DAMAGE SURVEY

https://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/106925.pdf

The highest storm surge measured was 4.4 m (14 ft.) at Perdido Key, FL. Storm surges in excess of 3.8 m (12 ft.) were measured in Grande Lagoon, Escambia Bay, Tiger Point, and Blackwater Bay areas.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Matthew 7:24-27
    Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. 26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	928A1094-EEE6-4712-AE74-88B64A83E120.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	685.6 KB 
ID:	384051

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    It really is nuts, mainly because most will be rebuilt.

Our coast development is quite crazy, but, it's actually a bit worse over in Spain. I'm watching the Vuelta right now (for non bike race geeks, it's the Tour de France of Spain), and I'm up to stage six, where they come down to the Mediterranean around Valencia and Alicante, and, man, it's like a huge garden of condo buildings everywhere, right on the water. Do they get bad storms over there in the sea?
    Umm no? When was the last time you heard of a hurricane (or typhoon) hitting mainland Europe? The Coriolis effect generally spins them into America and Southeast Asia.

I was just thinking it’s about time Benny brought up coastal homes.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    Umm no? When was the last time you heard of a hurricane (or typhoon) hitting mainland Europe? The Coriolis effect generally spins them into America and Southeast Asia.
    Yeah, I should have googled that. No wonder there's so many damn condos on Spain's coast. Awesome storm free weather. But, it's like Florida on steroids. British and Scadinavian graveyard.

And we are about to get thoroughly soaked again, this time by the remnants of Ida. Models have me at 5-8" of rain and this time it looks like there will be some wind too. As wet as the ground is from the last few soakings I have a feeling this time we'll see some trees down.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    And we are about to get thoroughly soaked again, this time by the remnants of Ida. Models have me at 5-8" of rain and this time it looks like there will be some wind too. As wet as the ground is from the last few soakings I have a feeling this time we'll see some trees down.
    Yeah going to be a soaker eh ..hope winds aren't too bad.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Anyone else pleasantly surprised at how competently everyone dealt with this storm as it swept through LA? Sure there’s damage and flooding and loss everywhere but in the big picture the levees held, there’s no Anderson Cooper worried about his Prada loafers getting wet, no general chaos... nicely done LA.

Dude, the entire city of New Orleans will be without power for at least a week. In summer temps.

After Katrina my buddy's wife's place invested in enough generators to keep their walk in freezers running. Everyone on the staff back then was encouraged to take anything they thought they could use quickly. They lost so much food that they said never again. Now they just have to find enough gas to keep the Genny's humming, no small feat considering the current state of affairs down there ATM.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Dude, the entire city of New Orleans will be without power for at least a week. In summer temps.
    Well some suits at Entergy clearly fucked up along the line but the government preparedness and response has been excellent.

Never stop looking for that grey in the silver clouds Benny.

Venice probably won't get power for a month. One of the levees breached and one of the flood gates failed.

Nothing good will happen for oil prices because of this.

We were going down to help clean up my friend's condo, but can't get there. Two shrimp boats that were blown adrift ended up in his dock. Not sure how much damage was done.

Name:  Marc Condo shrimp boats.png
Views: 243
Size:  232.7 KB
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Never stop looking for that grey in the silver clouds Benny.

Shit, I would never visit New Orleans in summer with air conditioning.

Another trip off the list for a while, and I was open to it for this fall. Fly into Memphis and drive down to New Orleans for a week or two, eating southern food and checking out roadhouse music. Oh well.

Name:  NOLA1.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  Nola2.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  21.2 KB

Anyone else pleasantly surprised at how competently everyone dealt with this storm as it swept through LA? Sure there’s damage and flooding and loss everywhere but in the big picture the levees held, there’s no Anderson Cooper worried about his Prada loafers getting wet, no general chaos... nicely done LA.
    They got hit by five hurricanes last year, these storms have become more frequent no doubt.
    We use to get a close call once every 5 or 6 years, now it's 4 or 5 close calls every season and maybe a direct hit.

Hard to find out what’s happening in Louisiana when the entire media world is focused on Afghanistan.

Not enough negative shit going on to keep the media interested.

It's all about fear. Big buildup, then on to the other oncoming crisis. A lot of times these storms do much more damage inland with the floods and landslides from the rain, but, on to the next baby in the well.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    They got hit by five hurricanes last year, these storms have become more frequent no doubt.
    We use to get a close call once every 5 or 6 years, now it's 4 or 5 close calls every season and maybe a direct hit.
    All the way back in 2017 it had been 11 years without a major hurricane making landfall on the US (Cat 3 or higher). As someone who spends a good chunk of my life in hurricane country, that always struck me as odd, thinking OK, when is this gonna swing and we'll get pounded with mega-storms.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Hard to find out what’s happening in Louisiana when the entire media world is focused on Afghanistan.
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Not enough negative shit going on to keep the media interested.
    You are both not wrong. The digging to the middle pages to get storm recovery stories has been different for sure.

It's all about fear. Big buildup, then on to the other oncoming crisis. A lot of times these storms do much more damage inland with the floods and landslides from the rain, but, on to the next baby in the well.
    Yep. When Irma hit family came up from Lowcountry to ATL to sit out the storm if it turned just slightly right as it ran up Florida; we ended up with super high winds and soaking storms which knocked down trees all over and were out of power for a few days which was way worse than anything they would have had.

Vermont got really fucked up from Irene, and the national news barely blinked.