Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane 2021

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Get used to it. Check out the map below, which shows the change in annual average precipitation in the last 30 years compared to the 20th century. Green is getting wetter. The greenest places in the US more or less follow the path of Ida.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ter-world.html
    Not sure about green in Cali ........

I’m sure there is a reason that I can’t think of, but how does one die from a basement flooding? How does the water come in that quick?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I’m sure there is a reason that I can’t think of, but how does one die from a basement flooding? How does the water come in that quick?

One I saw the entire side of the building at basement level just broke free opening like 20ft wide. I suspect that water before breach was huge amounts, then bam wall caves.

We were all kinda wondering the same thing on a conference call today. Like hello maybe gtfo ahead of time.

One theory was these are renters and have no idea of flood history in the home.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Get used to it. Check out the map below, which shows the change in annual average precipitation in the last 30 years compared to the 20th century. Green is getting wetter. The greenest places in the US more or less follow the path of Ida.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ter-world.html
    New England getting wetter and wetter. Could translate to more powder in the winter unless temps rise.

Shit happens fast.

One victim was in her 80s. Another was a mother and child (children?). Happened so fast, it was like a fire. You think you have time, but....

It was really really raining hard for a few hours in a lot of places with a lot of people there. Thank god it was so relatively fast.

What an asshole DeBlasio is. He blamed the weather forecast for the mayhem.

Due to code a lot of these doors open out. The sub ground level exit flooded and they couldn't open the door and of course no proper egress windows.

nighttime flooding can be particularly hazardous because people are already asleep and are not aware that the River is rising to a hazardous level.

It wasn't the river in these cases, it was the street. The river on the street.

Thank you for pointing out my grammatical in accuracies, Lenny. It is very much appreciated.

Bless your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    <snip> unless temps rise.
    Come on... not much chance of that happening.

Oh, wait.

Water rose FAST! 12 minutes sped up 6x

https://twitter.com/joshbreslowtn/st...990317066?s=21

That's the Tennessee flooding from almost 2 weeks ago.

Watch out NY / NJ, Larry might be coming for you too.

Let's hope Larry stays out to sea.

Floating loafers ?

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Nah. Most of the deaths were stupid people driving into deep ponds, I'll bet. I once fished a woman out of the Bronx River Parkway who did that. Made it difficult by not letting go of her huge purse/tote bag filled with a few gallons of water. Dumbass.

Just did a reconnaissance drive to scope out my road riding routes and what the damage was. No problem, except for a few low areas next to bodies of water and a few gravel run offs. Zero trees down, which would be the real issue, like it was after that thing last year, whatever it was called. Lots of trees here. Lots. Nice day, actually. Green and lush, 70s.

The reservoirs are quite full, so, when all of you people have to flush your toilet out west and the taps are dry, or want to wet the roof before the fire comes, send me a plastic jug for some clean, pure water, with a return label, and I'll hook you up.
    We have the fourth largest river, by discharge, running through my backyard. We live in the desert, 9” of precipitation annually. You can have your Connecticut water.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    We have the fourth largest river, by discharge, running through my backyard. We live in the desert, 9” of precipitation annually. You can have your Connecticut water.

and y'all can sure keep your fires...

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    and y'all can sure keep your fires...
    Good one, so no more ski trips out west?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Let's hope Larry stays out to sea.
    Models so far have it well offshore. Bermuda stands the biggest chance of getting hit.

Name:  storm_12_ens.gif
Views: 186
Size:  32.6 KB
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

You may want to sleep on that one. Maybe we can work out some sort of wholesale distribution thing. Get in on the ground floor. Water is going to be money soon. Better than tech startups. Hey, we can have an app for it!

Good one, so no more ski trips out west?

naaa i dont mind skiing open bowls.

While doing GS turns through little black sticks.

I moved our propane generator from the shed up to a covered box on the deck near our back door as the permanent storage location. Haven't needed it since. WINNING! Seriously though we're just getting started here in Kakalaki and a couple inches of snow can also take out our weak assed power line infrastructure.. hence deciding to just make a home for genny on the back deck instead of across the yard.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You may want to sleep on that one. Maybe we can work out some sort of wholesale distribution thing. Get in on the ground floor. Water is going to be money soon. Better than tech startups. Hey, we can have an app for it!
    I guess you’re not really that bright Benny. There’s more water flowing through our town than Connecticut gets in a year. We live in the desert but our watershed is one of the wettest regions on the planet.