Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red Rocks camping?

Other than 2 nights of phish in 2009, I haven’t been to a show at Red Rocks since the ‘90s. I’m old.

We have to be up in the area this weekend, and thinking of taking our teenager to her first show (atmosphere and cypress hill). Yes, questionable parenting.

We have a camper van and def not looking to after party. Is there anywhere nearby to tuck in and crash after the show? (It’s a pop-top sportsmobile so not stealth).

Anyone? We’d like to stay close enough to Denver that we could do some big-city shit Sunday morning before we head back to Durango (which is why we’d prefer to not just get on 285 and start heading home after the show).

Unless you can find a maggot that will let you crash in their driveway, you might be kinda SOL. There's basically no legal camping (since you're in an un-stealth rig) anywhere remotely close to Morrison/Golden these days that isn't reservation only and booked long in advance. Parking lots and pullouts all over are well patrolled and enforced.

I'd offer my driveway but I'm on the opposite end of the city, so not real helpful.

I miss Cheif Hosa late night pull in....

Try bear creek lake, I have friends that camp there for shows, but as adrenalated said it might be booked already.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Legal camping near-ish that I can think/find with a quick Google:
    -Bear Creek Lake Park
    -Golden Gate SP
    -Chatfield SP
    -Clear Creek RV Park
    -Golden Terrace South RV Park
    I'd be surprised if anything is available, but never know, might get lucky!

PM Rontele.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Walmart?

Possibly considering heading down 285 toward home after the show

Would it be silly to think we could find a place to crash around midnight on a Saturday somewhere near Kenosha Pass? (Bailey, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Walmart?
    there you go there is a nice super walmart on west colfax just a ten minute drive from redrocks probably
    I'd reference the family who died hiking thread first
    my concerns for you are
    jim bob's twenty five year generator will produce enough carbon monoxide to infiltrate your van
    roving bands of meth heads will cut your catalytic coverter out while you sleep
    ivan who has lived with his mom for sixty years in a split level ranch in lakewood might accost your daughter
    spray paint your van first that way you'll fit right in with everyone else
    plenty of dining choices, rub and tug shops, and if it gets too cold there are lots of motels you could crash at by the hour or week
    on the other hand there always seems to be a lakewood police office hanging out there so you might be safe

^there's no substitute for local intel when you're planning a trip. I recall Danno's vacation to Burlington thread went off on a bit of a bad note, but this is quality info fred. How far is Pueblo from this venue?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Possibly considering heading down 285 toward home after the show

Would it be silly to think we could find a place to crash around midnight on a Saturday somewhere near Kenosha Pass? (Bailey, etc)
    This requires that you answer a questionnaire:

a. Do you self identify as #homeless or #van life?

b. Do rules apply to you or just other people?

c. Does you vehicle have equal of better off highway capabilities as the average townie highschooler's 2wd?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    This requires that you answer a questionnaire:

a. Do you self identify as #homeless or #van life?

b. Do rules apply to you or just other people?

c. Does you vehicle have equal of better off highway capabilities as the average townie highschooler's 2wd?
    a) #van life all the way instagram worthy I embrace being a member of the finer things club the days of driving an 84 subaru all over the state of colorado tying my dogs to the bumper while I go mtn biking sleeping in a tent and stopping on the side of the road to bang my girlfriend are long over

b) rules apply to other people never me

c) all my cars are 4 wheel drive or awd is four cars too many for one person to have?

#can I poop in your van?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    #can I poop in your van?
    simple has a shovel you can borrow

so like no

a) neither. Gnar V user is how I identify
    b)I’m a straight, white, 43yo white guy with a fucking monster van. Rules? lol no.
    c) it’s 4wd and jacked, yo.
    d) no pooping in my van. I keep a 5gal bucket for wag bags in my trasharoo so feel free to get a good laugh out of that.

I really just want to know if all the front range dooshbags (not you guys, of course. I meant the other ones) flood Kenosha pass on the weekends or if I’ll be able to squeeze in somewhere (see answer “b”, as I don’t give a fuck)

Lord I’m glad I don’t have to deal with front range drama aside from 1-2 times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I miss Cheif Hosa late night pull in....
    The things that went down at Chief Hosa would not be believed by the youngins.

If you're driving down 285 then you can certainly find easy dispersed camping along the lost park road right after you descend Kenosha into the south park valley. There's plenty of room out there and you don't have to drive at the way to lost park to hit legal dispersed camping right off the road.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    If you're driving down 285 then you can certainly find easy dispersed camping along the lost park road right after you descend Kenosha into the south park valley. There's plenty of room out there and you don't have to drive at the way to lost park to hit legal dispersed camping right off the road.
    Now THAT’S what I’m talking about.

Thanks man

Yea what cruiser said. Kenosha proper definitely gets jam packed with dooshbags as there aren't actually that many campsites. Lost Park Rd has tons more.
    You could also try up towards Hall Valley on the east side of the pass. Not sure how crowded those drainages get.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    The things that went down at Chief Hosa would not be believed by the youngins.
    AMEN!
    #shewookielove

Guanella pass has camping.

Only been to Redrocks once (well, like three times I guess but for one run) Definitely stayed at Hosa and will never forget it.

Good times

I happened to have the maps out and found deer creek and meridian USFS campsites near Bailey. Never been, but it looks to be 45 minutes drive from red rocks. I expect that reservations are needed.

I have some neighbors who were tripping there balls off after a red rocks show back in july started driving back up the hill and is was raining so hard they pulled over at the buffalo overlook and hung out for three or so hours no one bothered them maybe that would work foryou on the other hand the three hours could have been three minutes