Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Inside Passage

Any mags cruised it?

Overland is passe, I want to hear about coastal yachting.

Hasn’t been the same since they blewup ripple rock man, you missed the glory days.

It’s on the other Coast from me but is definitely on the list once my kids are out of the house.

Yes. It rained the whole time with clouds always 300-500 hundred feet above the waterline. Couldn't see where I was at any point.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Hasn’t been the same since they blewup ripple rock man, you missed the glory days.
    One of the biggest planned non nuclear explosions.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Damn, the greatest generation ruined everything.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Yes. It rained the whole time with clouds always 300-500 hundred feet above the waterline. Couldn't see where I was at any point.
    What kind of boat, how many days, give us details here.

Cruise Ship to AK, ha. You can roast me now.

And once in awhile is the scene of a mega tsunami…

See this movie for an up-close first-hand view of the inside passage

https://www.amazon.com/Paddle-Seattl.../dp/B07TSQZ4SQ

Two guys build kayaks (Pygmy Boats, from Port Townsend) and paddle them from Skagway to Seattle, camping along the way

We did it on a big cruise ship too. Not an experience I care to repeat but certainly beautiful, nice look at the fjords and tidewater glaciers calving, whales, mtn goats, salmon so thick you could walk across the river on their backs, with a couple of sea lions waiting for them, last cruise of the season and we got into bit of a storm that made them change the route a little and kept our tablemates throwing up in their cabin one night. One outing was 2 person sit in kayaks--came out from the lee of an island into some serious waves. We kayak a lot but a lot of the people had never been in one. I'm thinking if anyone flips they're going to be in some serious trouble but the guides weren't concerned and no one flipped.

Something you want to know? It's a nice trip, don't do it on a cruise ship.

And Skagway is a giant jewelry store picked up and transported from the Caribbean ports of call. But in a beautiful setting.

We took the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry. Fuck cruise ships. Great trip with real Alaskans. Saw lots of whales and other marine life. The ferry gives you the option of getting off at stops and staying as long as you want, as opposed to a half day cruise stop. Tons of cool stuff to do along the way. You can rent a berth on the ship if you want, or pitch a tent on deck (bring duct tape), or sleep on a chair in the covered Atrium. You can bring a cooler with your own food and drinks. Can't wait to do that trip again. I could give you a lot more info if you're interested.

I did it on a ferry when I was in the first grade. Seattle (or was it Bellingham) to Petersburg. Then another ferry to Kake. There's a little open ocean section north of Vancouver Island. My only real memory is some rough seas in that area and my mom and I feeling pretty sea sick. Lots of whale and generally just a wild beautiful foggy soup.

A buddy of mine kayaked solo from Budd Inlet to Haines and then rode his bike (I think) to Prudhoe Bay before turning around and riding to San Francisco and then east to the Florida Keys. A few years later he kayaked the west coast of Vancouver Island north to south.

I'd love to spend a summer cruising that area in a yacht but that's orthodontist level stuff. Maybe when I'm retired but I'd have to figure out how to convince my wife to like boats first.

Sucks that they won't let you sleep in your #vanlife on the ferry. They would probably make a killing if they did.

We weren't on a cruise ship, but after a wedding in Juneau we threw sea kayaks onto a day tour boat into the Tracy Arm, which has a pair of tidewater glaciers. The tour boat dropped us off in front of one of the glaciers, and then we took a few days to paddle down the fjord. It was a great way to see the area, and cheap - I think the day boat charged us an extra $20 or something, and picked us up at the end of the trip to ferry us back to Juneau.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    And Skagway is a giant jewelry store picked up and transported from the Caribbean ports of call. But in a beautiful setting.
    I drove into Shagway for a look see and lasted 2.5 hrs, the tour guides all looked cool, they would wave at me cuz I had long hair a WW kayak & mtn bike on the golf, the cruisers not so cool

on the way back into Canada the border guard said " I seen you go west 2 hrs ago ?"

I couldn't handle it man and she laughed and waved me thru
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Those that took the ferry north, did you drive back south?

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Sucks that they won't let you sleep in your #vanlife on the ferry. They would probably make a killing if they did.
    Added bonus, all the plastic jerry cans and other accessories serve as great flotation devices in case of the boat sinking.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    We took the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry. Fuck cruise ships. Great trip with real Alaskans. Saw lots of whales and other marine life. The ferry gives you the option of getting off at stops and staying as long as you want, as opposed to a half day cruise stop. Tons of cool stuff to do along the way. You can rent a berth on the ship if you want, or pitch a tent on deck (bring duct tape), or sleep on a chair in the covered Atrium. You can bring a cooler with your own food and drinks. Can't wait to do that trip again. I could give you a lot more info if you're interested.
    Sounds rad. I wanna take a BC Coastal ferry from Vancouver to Bella Coola and Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Almost all the retail businesses in the cruise ship ports of call are owned by the cruise lines, not by locals.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Those that took the ferry north, did you drive back south?
    When I did it 35 years ago, we didn't take a car and just flew home. My wife really wants to go to Alaska. I've been a few times but always stayed with family friends and I'm not sure I could handle doing it as a tourist with no local contacts after having the local experience. Honestly, the marine highway ferry system up through SE Alaska would be an awesome way to do it. The state is so huge though, so deciding where to start would be a big challenge. Camping in a tent under the atrium on the boat is a pretty cool experience.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I looked into that for my upcoming trip to AK, but we just don't have the time. It looks like a great way to see that same ports for a cruise ship without taking a cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I looked into that for my upcoming trip to AK, but we just don't have the time. It looks like a great way to see that same ports for a cruise ship without taking a cruise.
    Yeah you would need at least a couple weeks to really take advantage of it. We had three and a half weeks but that included 12 days kayaking in Glacier Bay, which is a short flight on a bush plane from Juneau.

If you want videos of stuff, check out the race to Alaska https://r2ak.com/ all kinds of entrants, some lower budget.

there’s also ferrys in an inside passage at the other end of the world (chile). Nice scenery