Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is going to a multi-day large event reckless when I have unvaccinated kids?

Reaching out to the smartest bunch of dentists and ditchdiggers I know for advice.

EDIT: THE KIDS ARE NOT COMING.

I have tickets to see Phish at the Gorge (STFU, I know) for three nights this week. My wife, in-laws, all my friends, basically everyone I care about is fully vaccinated--except my kids, because they are too young.

Am I crazy to go hang out with 25,000 dirtbags for three days, even though everything will be outside, except for the bathrooms? I sort of assume we are all going to get the Delta at some point, but it seems so much better if you are vaccinated, which my kids aren't yet, unfortunately.

I am super-conflicted because I have been looking forward to this for two years but as it gets closer, I have more anxiety about the whole thing than excitement, which sucks ass.

WWMD?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Reaching out to the smartest bunch of dentists and ditchdiggers I know for advice.

I have tickets to see Phish at the Gorge (STFU, I know) for three nights this week. My wife, in-laws, all my friends, basically everyone I care about is fully vaccinated--except my kids, because they are too young.

Am I crazy to go hang out with 25,000 dirtbags for three days, even though everything will be outside, except for the bathrooms? I sort of assume we are all going to get the Delta at some point, but it seems so much better if you are vaccinated, which my kids aren't yet, unfortunately.

I am super-conflicted because I have been looking forward to this for two years but as it gets closer, I have more anxiety about the whole thing than excitement, which sucks ass.

WWMD?
    Really make it a party weekend and leave them with friends or relatives or stay home. No fucking way I would take my unvaccinated kids.

If you think you can deal with your kid possibly getting sick because you went to a concert and brought home a virus, then by all means go to the concert.

Idk but I’m going through the exact scenario with the CO shows. Change my mind about 5x each day.

No fucking way I’d do it. Even if you’re vaccinated there’s a good chance you bring it back to your kids.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Really make it a party weekend and leave them with friends or relatives or stay home. No fucking way I would take my unvaccinated kids.
    The kids aren't coming. They never were. Neither is the wife. Which is part of the appeal, if I am being honest.

Yeah, ditch the kids somewhere and go solo/wifey. Fucking covid still sucks.

WWMD?
    First off, this maggot would have posted this in the existing "covid and kids" or "vaccine" threads, rather than starting yet another covid thread.

Second, I think it depends on more than just "it's outside". If you're going to dance with the throng, even masked, that seems problematic. But if you wear a mask everywhere (except where truly distanced outside) and try to limit your close interactions to being fleeting ones (ie walking closely past someone vs sitting closely to someone for an extended time period), it will likely be ok. If I didn't think I could do those things, I wouldn't go. Well, I wouldn't go anyway, because Phish, but you get the idea.

You could also get tested a couple of times when you get home, for peace of mind.

ETA: this is just what I'd do, I'm no expert and don't mean to sound like one.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Fucking covid still sucks.
    I wonder who sucks more, Phish or Covid?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Wife told me the story of her co-worker's husband going on a long weekend guys trip. All 5 dudes vaccinated. All 5 got the COVID. All 5 dudes have kids under 12. So, that's just purely anecdotal, and you should definitely go on the trip and stay in the garage for 10 days when you get back.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Can someone notify the mods that we have another poliass thread thrunting the PR? Pretty sure that's against the rules...well, I mean, if there were any rules, and not just whatever the fuck a mod thinks is 'right' at a given time. But anyway, someone's feelings might get hurt, so let's get this out of here, stat.
    [quote][//quote]

If you're really concerned, go to the show, and then quarantine when you get home and can get tested.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

The kids aren't coming. They never were. Neither is the wife. Which is part of the appeal, if I am being honest.

Ahh. I don't know the Gorge except from pics and it seems you could stay socially distanced or at least keep moving around and potentially stay fairly safe. I certainly wouldn't be crowding up toward the stage. Then get tested right away and stay distant from your kids until then. IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    1996 would say Phish.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Name:  IMG_0597.JPG
Views: 415
Size:  39.1 KB

I wouldn’t play COVID roulette with 25k people, regardless of masks, distancing, hygiene, vax rate, etc. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Can someone notify the mods that we have another poliass thread thrunting the PR? Pretty sure that's against the rules...well, I mean, if there were any rules, and not just whatever the fuck a mod thinks is 'right' at a given time. But anyway, someone's feelings might get hurt, so let's get this out of here, stat.
    This thread is the opposite of political, dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    If you're really concerned, go to the show, and then quarantine when you get home and can get tested.
    There really isn't a way to quarantine in our house right now.

My vaccinated buddy went on an all day fishing boat off OCMD with 8 people.

5 got Covid including him.

Maybe it was an open mouth kissing fishing expedition?

Do you like your kids? I mean, if they’re little assholes, then you might want to factor that into your considerations.

This thread is the opposite of political, dumbass.
    Wow, you're dimmer than Donald Trump. GOP=anti-vax dipshits. Now even you might be able to figure it out...nah, probably not.

Move this thread! Wah.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    I mean, if they’re little assholes, then you might want to factor that into your considerations.
    Um, they're kids. Isn't "little assholes" a given?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yeah, I am definitely leaning toward not going, even though the venue is requiring proof of vaccination for both camping and venue entry (which is obviously easy af to get around, if you are a triple-douche shitbag).

Went to rockygrass this year with 2 unvaxd kids. It was hudge fun. Nobody got the 'vid. But that's only one little data point.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Taking vaxd son to Gorge. Will be masked and will be on the lawn in back,

Taking fam to Dicks for 2 nights. 9yo daughter is not vaxd but will be masked and in the back of the venue and socially distanced.

Both venues require proof of vax or negative test (yes I know, no guarantees with that).
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

"It's once in a lifetime.
    This moment is once in a lifetime.
    It will not be presented to you again like a beer commercial.
    You better suck on it now because it will be gone."

There really isn't a way to quarantine in our house right now.
    Get a motel room.
    Sleep in a tent in the yard.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot