Budget Friendly iPhone

I'm in the market for a new phone. I've been an android guy but I'm going to go with an iphone this time around for various reasons. I don't want to spend $1100 on a fucking phone. I'd be happy spending around $500-$800, but also want something that lasts. Should I get a newer, less fancy phone or go for something a model "outdated"? Is refurbished something worth looking into? I'm currently on a prepaid plan with Verizon if that matters.

iphone SE 2nd generation

I replaced my iPhone Xs because there was an incredibly high trade in offer towards the iPhone 12 Pro from AT&T. That said, using the two phones truly feels identical - the Xs was not slow or anything. I think a Xs or 11 or regular 12 instead of 12 Pro are all going to be pretty nice. Sometimes Woot has refurbished iPhones too.

You can shoot me a PM if you want employee friends and family discount pricing

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I have a Gen 2 SE and it seems pretty solid.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    iphone SE 2nd generation
    That’s what I have. Cheap, does everything I need.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The 2nd gen SE is basically the same form factor and size as the 6s, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    The 2nd gen SE is basically the same form factor and size as the 6s, correct?
    Same as an iphone 8

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    Same as an iphone 8

Thirded on the 2nd gen SE, good bang for the buck . . .

Another vote for the SE gen 2.

Top of your budget but I’ve been happy with my 12 mini. My 7s battery shut the bed for the second time so I upgraded. I couldn’t stomach 1200 even though I use the thing daily… I also like the small size like the 7, though I get it that not everyone does.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Are you willing to get a contract plan rather than prepaid or no?
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Thanks for the input. Really looking at the iphone SE 2nd gen or getting the 12 after the 13 gets released and prices drop.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    Are you willing to get a contract plan rather than prepaid or no?
    I'm good with getting a contract or switching carriers (as long as they get good service in my area) but I don't want to increase my monthly bill much which is $40 right now

I've had an 8 for a few years, just paid it off. Battery life has been sitting at 82%, and we're still paying for applecare. Part of me wants to keep the 8, replace the battery soon and ride it out.

But: has anyone had good luck trading an 8 or similar recently? I'd love to trade the 8 and get an SE2 if possible. Wishful thinking?

I've got an XR for my personal phone and an XR for work. Work phone is more than 2 years old and still solid although the battery does run down faster than the personal phone which is only about 4 months old. What has sold me on the XR is that I recently capsized my sailboat and realized I had the phone (personal) in my pocket and not in a dry bag. Phone was under water for at least 15 minutes and when I climbed out of the water, I was getting a text message. Put it in some rice and it's been working fine ever since. Not sure how much they cost but since my wife bought it, it must be cheap.

In case you want a used 256 GB iPhone XS, I have one in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by PowderPig View Post
    In case you want a used 256 GB iPhone XS, I have one in good condition.
    Pmd

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I rocked the SE 2nd gen for a while but the battery depleted to 92% in about 6 months, great phone, supper fast, but if you need it on all day you will be disappointed in the battery.

I was anticipating and salivating over the 12 mini for some time but after the SE’s small battery depleted so quickly, I opted for the 12 pro. 6 months into the pro ownership and the battery is still at 100% guess they use different grade of cells in different product lines.

So SE 2nd gen if you don’t need big battery performance, otherwise I would recommend a regular 12.

Quote Originally Posted by M_R View Post
    I rocked the SE 2nd gen for a while but the battery depleted to 92% in about 6 months, great phone, supper fast, but if you need it on all day you will be disappointed in the battery.

I was anticipating and salivating over the 12 mini for some time but after the SE’s small battery depleted so quickly, I opted for the 12 pro. 6 months into the pro ownership and the battery is still at 100% guess they use different grade of cells in different product lines.

So SE 2nd gen if you don’t need big battery performance, otherwise I would recommend a regular 12.
    Bad luck? My SE Gen2 is at 96% after a year and 4 months . . . will run for 2 days on a charge most of the time. Hasn't failed in the cold when I try to take a picture like my 6 and 6s.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    iphone SE 2nd generation
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    SE first generation. Cheaper, smaller, does everything I need. Just bought another one for €100 refurbished.