Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Years ago in my feckless youth, I did an extended cycle tour in SE Asia. I was drinking 4-6 liters of water a day, and one day noticed that my sweat didn't taste salty anymore, which was weird / unsettling. Reading this discussion, maybe I was in danger, but I didn't notice any ill effects at the time, just a craving for salt. I took it as an opportunity to eat salty snacks, and added some soy sauce to my meals. I had some ORS in case of diarrhea, but it tasted so nasty that I really couldn't force myself to drink it.

Did some trail work for a month in my youth one summer in some TX mountains. We ate a lot of spam.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Dehydration by sweating loses water and salt, folks drink tons of water but don't get any salt--low sodium in the blood is bad for the brain.
    Been there. During a very long hot mtn bike ride once my lovely wife loads up two water bladders and proceeds to crank through her water. Top of a 12 mile climb and she is acting super loopy. We didn't know what was going on till we realized she drank about 100oz of water with nothing else while sweating out a ton of salt. Classic hyponatremia. Fed her clif shot till she snapped out of it. It was like she was drunk. Kinda terrifying, actually. We were not anywhere close to a place where we could have gotten help, with no way to contact anyone.

It's something endurance sport people should be aware of in hot climates, especially in remote areas.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    That “hack” has been making the rounds on SM the last few days, and has been universally roasted by the professional SAR folks…..
    Yeah, it was ALL over Facebook this past weekend. The aunts and a few other friends were sharing non-stop. I started a personal Facebook crusade with them all, essentially telling them that the Voice Mail message will NEVER be heard by anyone unless their phone is on and they have service that is good enough for the new greeting to be synched to their VM account. I got a lot of... "oh yeah, that makes sense" replies.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

"This could be a setback." -- Tom Tuttle, Tacoma

Thank god for Mountain House sodium bombed backpacking food.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    It's something endurance sport people should be aware of in hot climates, especially in remote areas.
    Especially since it's a very short distance from acting loopy to your heart stopping and dropping dead. Dehydration is a slow death, hyponatremia kills fast.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Been there. During a very long hot mtn bike ride once my lovely wife loads up two water bladders and proceeds to crank through her water. Top of a 12 mile climb and she is acting super loopy. We didn't know what was going on till we realized she drank about 100oz of water with nothing else while sweating out a ton of salt. Classic hyponatremia. Fed her clif shot till she snapped out of it. It was like she was drunk. Kinda terrifying, actually. We were not anywhere close to a place where we could have gotten help, with no way to contact anyone.

I drank through a 3lt camelback humping a heavy load of backpacking + solo hunting gear one morning this August, realized I was out of water, but figured I'd find some on my way up into the gray rock of Mt Doom. Turned out I was wrong.
    I also figured it would be much easier coming down 4000' in less than 2 miles with no trail. That assumption was erroneous as well.
    I started working down about 6pm. Stopped to shoot some vid about 8PM, and my voice creeked and croaked like I overdid some edibles...

Was giving up precious bodily fluids at too high a rate before I even hit the thick shit. The alders got in a few lucky shots, but all in all, I'd say I got the better of them. Big shout out to Fjallraven Keb trousers, Scarpa Ribelle HDs, and skookum Mystery Ranch Terraplane packs for holding together on that fucking jumpturn shitshow tumblefight with hamstring cramps and shrieking eels..

Time I got down to the bottom of the gorge where I could access the moderately turbid glacier creek, it was 11PM and I was feeling fucked up. I puked up the first several attempts to get some of the 33-degree water down. Maybe an hour before I could hold down 3 swallows, laying on a logjam with the noisy creek making wet mist in the dark. I couldn't even taste the dried mangoes and M&Ms I chewed and spat out. Then I got down a liter of Propel mix, and another liter of water in the dark. Then I started shivering because I was wet and it was 40 and the thermals were channeling down through the gorge.
    It was only about a 4 mile ruck back down a trail, but I loaded up with 6lt of water and a couple more of Propel. Only drank the Propel before I made it to the truck, but glugged another half gallon of water and ate a Kirkland protein bar and took a shower before I went to sleep in my own bed blurping like the Pink Panther and feeling lucky like a motherfucker. Didn't cramp up in my sleep either.

This post not sponsored by Propel.

Fuck I hate it when the eels start shrieking.

^^^^^^Same.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    And then they start getting louder…

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    I drank through a 3lt camelback humping a heavy load of backpacking + solo hunting gear one morning this August, realized I was out of water, but figured I'd find some on my way up into the gray rock of Mt Doom. Turned out I was wrong.
    I also figured it would be much easier coming down 4000' in less than 2 miles with no trail. That assumption was erroneous as well.
    I started working down about 6pm. Stopped to shoot some vid about 8PM, and my voice creeked and croaked like I overdid some edibles...

Was giving up precious bodily fluids at too high a rate before I even hit the thick shit. The alders got in a few lucky shots, but all in all, I'd say I got the better of them. Big shout out to Fjallraven Keb trousers, Scarpa Ribelle HDs, and skookum Mystery Ranch Terraplane packs for holding together on that fucking jumpturn shitshow tumblefight with hamstring cramps and shrieking eels..

Time I got down to the bottom of the gorge where I could access the moderately turbid glacier creek, it was 11PM and I was feeling fucked up. I puked up the first several attempts to get some of the 33-degree water down. Maybe an hour before I could hold down 3 swallows, laying on a logjam with the noisy creek making wet mist in the dark. I couldn't even taste the dried mangoes and M&Ms I chewed and spat out. Then I got down a liter of Propel mix, and another liter of water in the dark. Then I started shivering because I was wet and it was 40 and the thermals were channeling down through the gorge.
    It was only about a 4 mile ruck back down a trail, but I loaded up with 6lt of water and a couple more of Propel. Only drank the Propel before I made it to the truck, but glugged another half gallon of water and ate a Kirkland protein bar and took a shower before I went to sleep in my own bed blurping like the Pink Panther and feeling lucky like a motherfucker. Didn't cramp up in my sleep either.

This post not sponsored by Propel.
    This reminds me a little of a time we were riding Hermosa Creek and were still up high when the sky opened up and just threw up a shitstorm. Lightning grounding all over the fucking place. We dove off the mountain toward the road. Was easy-ish riding for a bit, then the thick stuff started. I was already kinda cooked, and the trudge out was insane, hauling a bike. My hammies cramped up bad and my eels were definitely shrieking. Was cramping every time I had to pick up my leg to get over a fallen tree. I could barely coast when we finally found a dirt road for the last mile out. 4th big day in a row, no sleep, no food, no water. Was one of the first times I realized I was older than I used to be and no longer invincible.

But I wasn't as bad as you were. Those bails off the sides of mountains down through thick shit are always worse than you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Thank god for Mountain House sodium bombed backpacking food.
    Don’t forget about that impacted bowel you’ll get! That gives the intestines more time to absorb said sodium.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Don’t forget about that impacted bowel you’ll get! That gives the intestines more time to absorb said sodium.
    When you see the cheeze bits meld permanently to your spoon it makes you wonder what happens inside your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    hyponatremia kills fast.
    If it happens fast, yes.

But, if you're an alcoholic.
    Or old and on diuretics.
    Or old.
    Or.. if it happens slowly in some other way.
    You adapt.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

That post was specific to the acute kind while exercising, but yes, chronic is different.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Well, depends if they are in your hovercraft or not.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That post was specific to the acute kind while exercising, but yes, chronic is different.
    you don't have to exercise. anyone remember this
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ten-fir...ntest-tragedy/
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

There was some poor woman years back who overhydrated/undersalted during the Hawaii Ironman and got to have seizures and shit herself on TV for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    you don't have to exercise. anyone remember this
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ten-fir...ntest-tragedy/
    Yeah, that was seriously messed up.

There was some poor woman years back who overhydrated/undersalted during the Hawaii Ironman and got to have seizures and shit herself on TV for a couple of days.
    The clipped was referenced for years afterward. The worst was when she got passed in the last couple feet of crawling to the line so she didn’t even win. Can’t recall if they put that into the agony of defeat montage but they should have

From the Sacramento Bee
    "A hiker ignored repeated phone calls from an unknown number while lost on a Colorado mountain.

It was rescuers trying to get in contact with them.

The hiker was lost for 24 hours on Mount Elbert, the highest peak in the state. They were reported overdue Monday, Oct. 18 when they didn’t return from their hike in the evening, Lake County Search and Rescue officials said.

A team of rescuers searched the area, but they couldn’t find the lost hiker. The team tried to call the hiker multiple times, but they couldn’t get in contact with them, rescuers said.

The hiker spent the night searching for the trail and bouncing between different trails to find the trailhead where they had parked, rescuers said. They eventually found their way out and were reported safe."
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-w...255247541.html

I would only comment that the hiker wasn't lost--it was his car that was lost.

From the Sacramento Bee
    "A hiker ignored repeated phone calls from an unknown number while lost on a Colorado mountain.

It was rescuers trying to get in contact with them.

The hiker was lost for 24 hours on Mount Elbert, the highest peak in the state. They were reported overdue Monday, Oct. 18 when they didn’t return from their hike in the evening, Lake County Search and Rescue officials said.

A team of rescuers searched the area, but they couldn’t find the lost hiker. The team tried to call the hiker multiple times, but they couldn’t get in contact with them, rescuers said.

The hiker spent the night searching for the trail and bouncing between different trails to find the trailhead where they had parked, rescuers said. They eventually found their way out and were reported safe."
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-w...255247541.html

I would only comment that the hiker wasn't lost--it was his car that was lost.
    I mean, not sure why he wouldnt send a quick text to someone saying he was a little turned around, but doing fine and just needed to wait for first light to get his bearings and get out.

On one hand i kinda respect the independent self reliance- no need to call SAR if you dont feel its warranted and are comfortable finding your way out. But on the other, seems pretty odd to not call or text and let someone know. I bet many/most of us have taken a wrong turn or gotten turned around and gotten back to the car many hours or a day after they were supposed to, but never felt in any legitimate need of rescue.

We climbed Damnation Gully in Huntington Ravine on Mt Washington. When we topped out on the Alpine Garden near dusk we were greeted with 100MPH winds gusting to 130-140 (per the weather station). So we sat behind a rock and waited it out. The wind finally died down a little before dawn and we walked off. We got back to the Harvard Cabin about 8am and everyone was having breakfast. No one came looking for us or seemed the least bit concerned that we hadn't showed up the afternoon before.

We climbed Damnation Gully in Huntington Ravine on Mt Washington. When we topped out on the Alpine Garden near dusk we were greeted with 100MPH winds gusting to 130-140 (per the weather station). So we sat behind a rock and waited it out. The wind finally died down a little before dawn and we walked off. We got back to the Harvard Cabin about 8am and everyone was having breakfast. No one came looking for us or seemed the least bit concerned that we hadn't showed up the afternoon before.
    Well, this is NH yr talking about. The license plate says it all--Live Free or Die. They really don't much care one way or another. As a no-tax state, it makes little difference.

https://youtu.be/rIqyjhzDLYU