Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Research in the sciences = do an experiment
    Research once removed = read the paper describing the experiment in a peer reviewed article
    Research twice removed = read a summary of the paper in a science publication
    Research thrice removed = read a reporter's description of the summary of the paper describing the research
    "Research" of whacko conspiracy theories on the internet--there's reason there's no word after "thrice"
    Quadrice?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Quadrice?
    Gesundheit

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Maybe they just don't know how to spell Google?
    To be fair that's how they pronounce it in Canada

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

article about another death during that same heat wave

Philip Kreycik Wasn’t Supposed to Die This Way - He was an environmentalist versed in the dangers of our warming world, an expert trail runner, and eminently capable of moving far and fast outside. The heat killed him all the same.

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...hilip-kreycik/

The point in the article about the very fit, high level athletes being at the most risk is a good one. My DIL does trail runs up to 20 miles for fun--never races. Fine around Tahoe, but now they've moved to Vegas. Plus they just got a ridgeback to run with her--I worry about the dog overheating particularly.

Buy her a head lamp, she will need it for the 4am runs to avoid the heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Buy her a head lamp, she will need it for the 4am runs to avoid the heat.
    They've got about 20 of them.

your comment about very fit people being perhaps more susceptible to the heat reminded me of this sad article - where very fit people may have struggled more in cold water due to their low body fat

A Deadly Crossing
    -Eight adventurers from Vancouver set out by kayak on what they knew would be a gruelling test of their physical endurance. By the end of the day, two of them were dead.

https://docdro.id/dnde4n4

Not exactly heat related--but in the Donner Party most of the women lived, most of the men died. Presumably the women has more fat stores, while the men worked themselves to death cutting wood.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    your comment about very fit people being perhaps more susceptible to the heat reminded me of this sad article - where very fit people may have struggled more in cold water due to their low body fat

A Deadly Crossing
    -Eight adventurers from Vancouver set out by kayak on what they knew would be a gruelling test of their physical endurance. By the end of the day, two of them were dead.

That's a good read. Though I draw a different conclusion. Dying is part of being human. I recently attended a Vision Zero meeting and learned 10 pedestrians were killed last year in my small city. I'd rather die doing something that seems crazy than on a mundane neighborhood walk. RIP

A Deadly Crossing

This reads to me like a lesson on heuristic traps and overconfidence more than a fitness issue. Kinda like the Avy 1 case studies where a group of strong skiers go out in Extreme Avy conditions, fail to see worsening conditions, and somebody gets buried.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    This reads to me like a lesson on heuristic traps and overconfidence more than a fitness issue. Kinda like the Avy 1 case studies where a group of strong skiers go out in Extreme Avy conditions, fail to see worsening conditions, and somebody gets buried.
    oh yeah to be clear I wasn't trying to imply that their low body fat levels were the cause of this tragedy - only that this may have contributed in a minor way and I found that particular point interesting (in addition to all the other learning points from this accident).

Also this, like most magazine articles, probably gets some key facts wrong and is missing info about what really happened. I try to learn lessons without judging since I wasn't there and I've made similar choices that I've survived due to luck more than skill and responsible decision making. Your skiing comparison makes sense.

I hope this doesn't bring up bad memories for any fellow mags who knew these guys - they were well known in the sea to sky zone.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    That's a good read. Though I draw a different conclusion. Dying is part of being human. I recently attended a Vision Zero meeting and learned 10 pedestrians were killed last year in my small city. I'd rather die doing something that seems crazy than on a mundane neighborhood walk. RIP
    I spent some time in a big city trauma ICU. Everyday the list of patients would be discussed including their age, reason for admission to ICU, and number of days they had been in ICU.

It was remarkable how many were young people that had been struck by vehicles as pedestrians - and how many were on like "day 72 of admission". These are patients sedated with drugs and having machines do their breathing for them via a tube down their throats - meanwhile they are getting bed sores and blood clots and other complications from being in a hospital bed for months.

That put the fear of god into me about getting hit by a car when a pedestrian. It is a life altering incident. My wife makes fun of me how cautious I am when crossing a street.
    Last edited by bennymac; 12-05-2022 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    I'd prefer to die well into my 80's, after I've completely used up my body doing the things I love and can't do them any more, sitting in my lazy boy by the fire, watching the World Cup. (Okay, just kidding about the last part--watching soccer is like being dead.) I'd prefer that to dying too young doing something stupid. (Which I've come close to a handful of times.)

I spent some time in a big city trauma ICU. Everyday the list of patients would be discussed including their age, reason for admission to ICU, and number of days they had been in ICU.

It was remarkable how many were young people that had been struck by vehicles as pedestrians - and how many were on like "day 72 of admission". These are patients sedated with drugs and having machines do their breathing for them via a tube down their throats - meanwhile they are getting bed sores and blood clots and other complications from being in a hospital bed for months.

That put the fear of god into me about getting hit by a car when a pedestrian. It is a life altering incident. My wife makes fun of me how cautious I am when crossing a street.
    It's open season on pedestrians in Sacramento. Crossing the street I wait until there are no cars in sight, and THEN I hit the crosswalk button anyways. And for those who might not realize it, flashing your high beams does not give you the right of way over a pedestrian in a crosswalk. And driving on the sidewalk to get around a pedestrian in a crosswak is not cool.

“ Each year, unfortunately, pedestrian and bicyclist fatalities comprise about 19 percent of all traffic fatalities with approximately 6,000 pedestrian deaths and 850 bicyclist deaths. Another 76,000 pedestrians and 47,000 bicyclists are injured in roadway crashes annually. ”

Always amazes me how we have given over our ROW to vehicles.

It also amazes me how impatient people can be around stopping for pedestrians when literally all they have to do is flex their ankles to start and stop their vehicles.

My life as a pedestrian is dangerous and lonely.

Ban all vehicles now.

No one should have a throttle.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Ban all vehicles now.

No one should have a throttle.
    ^^Typical hot take anytime someone brings up bike and ped safety and maybe swinging the ROW balance back a little towards peds/bikes.

To make it moar fairer, all us peds should be allowed use the battle frames from Avatar.
    Cost covered by Medicare, of course.

One thing I noticed in Boston is that as shitty as drivers there are to other drivers they seem to be reasonably conscientious towards pedestrians. Then again , I was only there for a week so maybe I just got lucky.

One of the things I don't miss in retirement is fixing bumper vs shin injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Not exactly heat related--but in the Donner Party most of the women lived, most of the men died. Presumably the women has more fat stores, while the men worked themselves to death cutting wood.
    It’s been a while since I’ve read Irving Stone’s Men to Match My Mountains and I don’t remember the specifics, but that was the case with a number of emigrant parties that ran into trouble. Not just in snow and cold, but also in the desert.

At the risk of being a total pedant; cemeteries are filled with people who had the right-of-way. Yes; peds and bikes should have the right-of-way, but the physics of a vehicle and a soft human body dictate otherwise. I'm acutely aware of this as a dedicated motorcyclist.

RE: Vision Zero. Here in ol' PDX, those numbers are way skewed by blown-out tweakers and suffering addicts willfully crossing busy streets and highways. The issue is that those driving the changes fail to account for the reason for higher-than-average deaths. As a result, traffic is getting ground to a halt with half-measures and other road reductions.

Be careful out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    At the risk of being a total pedant; cemeteries are filled with people who had the right-of-way. Yes; peds and bikes should have the right-of-way, but the physics of a vehicle and a soft human body dictate otherwise. I'm acutely aware of this as a dedicated motorcyclist.

RE: Vision Zero. Here in ol' PDX, those numbers are way skewed by blown-out tweakers and suffering addicts willfully crossing busy streets and highways. The issue is that those driving the changes fail to account for the reason for higher-than-average deaths. As a result, traffic is getting ground to a halt with half-measures and other road reductions.

Be careful out there.
    Sorry, but there are a lot of people around here getting run down who aren't tweakers and addicts, who are being as careful as they can be but who have no choice but to cross busy, poorly protected streets. So any traffic calming measures, pedestrian islands, crosswalk controls are fine with me, and if that is grinding traffic to a halt then maybe it needed to be ground to a halt. All of us do know that you can't rely on ROW to keep you safe--that's a truism that doesn't need repeating, but there's only so much you can do. Example--people getting run down crossng a stoplighted intersection by turning cars. Solution--4 way reds wth red arrows for right turns to give pedestraians time to cross. Sure, it slows traffic down. So what? And of course people will still run the reds and kill pedestrians. And should get 20 years for doing it, not the slap on the wrist they usually get.

Tweeking, Drinking, and Texting behind the wheel.... Not necessarily all at the same time but ....
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Tweeking, Drinking, and Texting behind the wheel.... Not necessarily all at the same time but ....
    Thing #1's best friend in 8th grade was at our house for T1's birthday party when her mom was killed by an intoxicated texting driver. Hits close to home.