Thule force xl roof box SLC today 8/22

So I got a little carried away in the salt flats and my roof box slid off the rails and the little clamps are all bent from hitting the playa. They cost $35 each but not in stock anywhere and I have to drive back east.
    Anyone in SLC want this? Offers? $200? So then you spend $150 to replace clamps and are good to go.These are expensive hold full length skis.
    One of the spring loaded arms that holds it open also broke but those can also be replaced
    I will roll through today. Then I would buy a new box at REI.
    Or trade for a functional similar box and $$
    Right now it's ratchet strap to my bars.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    So I got a little carried away in the salt flats and my roof box slid off the rails and the little clamps are all bent from hitting the playa. They cost $35 each but not in stock anywhere and I have to drive back east.
    Anyone in SLC want this? Offers? $200? So then you spend $150 to replace clamps and are good to go.These are expensive hold full length skis.
    One of the spring loaded arms that holds it open also broke but those can also be replaced
    I will roll through today. Then I would buy a new box at REI.
    Or trade for a functional similar box and $$
    Right now it's ratchet strap to my bars.
    This probably isn’t helpful but if you just want me to bring it back to the east coast for yuh safely, I’m cruising through Colorado now on 80 in my short bus and have plenty of space. Could carry a Thule and or skis. End destination for me is boston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bowboybb View Post
    This probably isn’t helpful but if you just want me to bring it back to the east coast for yuh safely, I’m cruising through Colorado now on 80 in my short bus and have plenty of space. Could carry a Thule and or skis. End destination for me is boston

Thanks! Will pm you. I could get it in Boston. Are you on 80 or 70?
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Thanks! Will pm you. I could get it in Boston. Are you on 80 or 70?
    My b coming up from Denver getting on 80 now. Timing doesn’t quite workout but this vehicle is slow so you could catch me pretty quick

Rolling through salt lake now fingers crossed if somebody wants this and I can grab a new one at REI
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Just missed a mag in SLC. In Fruita for a few days then beavercreek
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Any chance that with a vise and some tools the clamps could be bent back into shape? Happy to help you try.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I was thinking the same and thanks for the offer. I am just worried that is too sketchy and if this thing flew off (again) in a wind gust on the interstate I would (a) maybe kill someone, (b) loose my gear in the box.
    That it blew off on the salt flats was kind of a warning... It also fell halfway off on the rough road above dry lake CG near steamboat.
    Basically I need a truck at this point. Truck lifestyle in an overloaded 4 cylinder outback.
    In the meantime I just ordered $180 of parts from etrailer for my roof box express shipped ahead to a friend. New ones are so expensive now, and while they were in stock in SLC, not so in Denver.
    Fingers crossed someone comes through for me with a F&F Thule hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Any chance that with a vise and some tools the clamps could be bent back into shape? Happy to help you try.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

I was thinking the same and thanks for the offer. I am just worried that is too sketchy and if this thing flew off (again) in a wind gust on the interstate I would (a) maybe kill someone, (b) loose my gear in the box.
    That it blew off on the salt flats was kind of a warning... It also fell halfway off on the rough road above dry lake CG near steamboat.
    Basically I need a truck at this point. Truck lifestyle in an overloaded 4 cylinder outback.
    In the meantime I just ordered $180 of parts from etrailer for my roof box express shipped ahead to a friend. New ones are so expensive now, and while they were in stock in SLC, not so in Denver.
    Fingers crossed someone comes through for me with a F&F Thule hookup.
    Good luck man.

To get home you could use some u bolts and some wood on the inside. Or even tie down straps. It's not too bad to repair those boxes with fiberglass when you finish the trip. Might even be worth it for peace of mind on the drive home.

do you have a picture of the damage? I have some old thule clamps out of my atlantis roofbox that might help you limp along.

Thanks all! I ordered replacement clamps express mailed to a stop planned down i70 a ways.
    The people at etrailer are great!
    Right now it's on with ratchet straps.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms