Seeking Guidance on the North Platte

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1629407637.264671.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	426.1 KB 
ID:	382903

I have a work meeting in Wyoming next week that will have me crossing the North Platte during my travels to and from. My schedule allows me one day to fish. I plan to pull my drift boat. I’ve never been on this water and my research has me thinking I will detour to the Grey Reef section. I also see that the treasure island area is a lot closer to my route of travel; however, not sure if the fishing is any good this late in summer.

I can easily be talked into other options (walk and wade) so long as close to I-80 and between SLC and Cheyenne.

Thanks in advance for any guidance. I will have an extra seat on the boat if anyone is interested.

Trip Report to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I would definitely vote for the reef (if the wind isnt blowing). Go to the Reef fly shop for advice and a shuttle, they are good dudes.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

agree with telee...big water mostly nymphing minimal rapids, some big fish, don't know this year if hopper dry season there; this time of year can have a lot of moss/weeds in the river, but have not been there this year; a lot of private land along G Reef, but if you've never been there worth the visit/explore IMHO.....Chet

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I would definitely vote for the reef (if the wind isnt blowing). Go to the Reef fly shop for advice and a shuttle, they are good dudes.
    Thanks Telee. I’ve followed your lead before and was not disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by CTR View Post
    agree with telee...big water mostly nymphing minimal rapids, some big fish, don't know this year if hopper dry season there; this time of year can have a lot of moss/weeds in the river, but have not been there this year; a lot of private land along G Reef, but if you've never been there worth the visit/explore IMHO.....Chet
    Thanks Chet. I’ve been on the south fork of snake a few times this year and that water is moving… hoping the flows aren’t that fast on The reef.

I second what the other fellas have to say, Reef is probably the best option for a one day mission. The upper North Platte (above Treasure island down to Saratoga) has had a tough year. Low water, high temps, and a ton of ash/sediment from last years Mullen fire.

Like Telle said, the Reef fly shop is good, they'll line you up on bugs and what section is fishing the best. The uppermost stretch is the most popular, and has the most fish, but there are good sections all the way to Casper. Lone Tree Drift Boats, has some nice Clackas and Stealthcrafts for rent (better boats than the fly shop) if you don't want to haul your boat all that way for one day of fishing. They are a local family and farm a full section right on the river. Its like 100$, includes the shuttle, access to their land on the upper section, and usually some good beta on the fishing.

the Wind......I have a hard stop on a wind forecast of 20mph and above. Ive been wind fucked on the reef and it sucks. lots of flat water to deal with and minimal protection out there. If its blowing the day your trying to fish, i'd go explore freemont canyon instead. it's a good tactical wade fishing tailwater and you can find some protection down in the canyon section.

I fish up there quite a bit so shoot me a pm if you have any questions. If the forecast holds, We'll likely be out that way next weekend.
    Last edited by jpcmoriarty; 08-31-2021 at 09:37 PM.