Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

how do you do it?

ok jerk offs my life obviously didn't turn out like it was suppose to but I'm doing the best I can with what I've been given

so I need some advice since I have mad respect for the people who post on TGR

How do you do it? I just set what I think was a new record sitting at my desk 6 1/2 hours and still going doing paper work and being a desk jockey. It seems like a horrible existence to me. A few breaks here and there but I impress myself with the ability to focus and get er done. So the problem is how the fuck do you do it? I spent most of my working life actually working hard sweating my balls off outside or freezing them numb. These days my hands are getting softer and softer my fingers are pointier and all I do is shuffle paper around and talk on the phone. In the past five plus years I've found myself turning into a pussy. I long for the days of walking on icy wall plates twenty feet off the ground, throwing shit at people for fun, and yelling at each other because you can. Instead I sit in my self imposed cubical ordering porta potties trying to figure out how massive ass sinks will fit into tiny little cabinets and crunching numbers.

The office life is the pits.

How do you clowns wake up and do nothing all day? How do you sit at a desk all day without going postal? Looking for advice.

I can't do it. I'm broke I'm gonna need to go get physical again because this sitting at home sending emails and making phone calls doesn't work for my old skool self. It doesn't help that there isn't shit in in stock for me to sell so it's really just making phone calls to bother people I used to sell things to so they don't forget that I sell things (that I can't actually sell right now).

You find ways to pass the time. Here at the DMV we have a lot of fun picking out a random person and torturing them for hours, not calling their number, then finally calling it to a made-up line (the confusion on their faces is priceless!), then putting them in a real line and having whoever's working that line take lunch right as the person gets to the front, and then when we finally let them get in a real line we find some weak reason to reject their application so they have to come back another day. It's a full day of comedy and it never gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    You find ways to pass the time. Here at the DMV we have a lot of fun picking out a random person and torturing them for hours, not calling their number, then finally calling it to a made-up line (the confusion on their faces is priceless!), then putting them in a real line and having whoever's working that line take lunch right as the person gets to the front, and then when we finally let them get in a real line we find some weak reason to reject their application so they have to come back another day. It's a full day of comedy and it never gets old.
    A peek behind the curtain.

Gnarly.
    I still call it The Jake.

Find yourself a rich wife.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I’d like to speak to the manager, please.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Perhaps I'm a simple man who doesn't require much. The sort who could sweep floors all day and be happy. That said, your fastfred posts help me get thru the day.

I do miss Spook though.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    ok jerk offs my life obviously didn't turn out like it was suppose to but I'm doing the best I can with what I've been given

so I need some advice since I have mad respect for the people who post on TGR

How do you do it? I just set what I think was a new record sitting at my desk 6 1/2 hours and still going doing paper work and being a desk jockey. It seems like a horrible existence to me. A few breaks here and there but I impress myself with the ability to focus and get er done. So the problem is how the fuck do you do it? I spent most of my working life actually working hard sweating my balls off outside or freezing them numb. These days my hands are getting softer and softer my fingers are pointier and all I do is shuffle paper around and talk on the phone. In the past five plus years I've found myself turning into a pussy. I long for the days of walking on icy wall plates twenty feet off the ground, throwing shit at people for fun, and yelling at each other because you can. Instead I sit in my self imposed cubical ordering porta potties trying to figure out how massive ass sinks will fit into tiny little cabinets and crunching numbers.

The office life is the pits.

How do you clowns wake up and do nothing all day? How do you sit at a desk all day without going postal? Looking for advice.
    Sounds like somebody’s got a case of the Mondays!

massive ass sinks
    What's an ass sink?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I find that skiing or riding my bike real fast before/after work helps. Unfortunately the pressure of the shit days translates to a very high frequency of crashing into stuff and getting injured, which takes me off the skis/bike. Then work becomes more hellacious. The ketamine clinic helps.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

When I went from building houses to financing them it took me awhile to get use to the switch in how I felt productive. Making phone calls and sending emails does not produce the same sense of accomplishment as framing a house. You have to rewire your brain so you can feel good that those calls and emails produce results so as long as everything is running smoothly and you're getting paid then that's a success. If you can do all that remotely then congratulations that's better than most, now if you have to do that all in an office then yeah that sucks for you.

I’ve created a monster lifestyle that needs to be fed many ducats every month in order to remain viable. I keep telling myself that someday I’ll make a change to reduce the input required but the machine will need significant mods in order to sustain life without the current level of fuel. Until then,I’ll be punching keys on the Mac and talking on the zooms for 6-10h per day. Sigh….

Sweet rant , I give it 5.8/10

https://youtu.be/Vsayg_S4pJg

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    What's an ass sink?
    Name:  Image1629408976.401677.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  124.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Name:  Image1629408976.401677.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  124.8 KB
    Is there a booner version too?
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Is there a booner version too?
    Well yeah, I think those are the ones Fred is complaining about

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Well yeah, I think those are the ones Fred is complaining about
    Gotcha. Big booty sinks.

Furious masturbation, obviously

21 for life.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I don't know about the other parts, but that diatribe definitely confirmed you're turning into a pussy

I used to write software.
    There's usually some inputs and then some outputs.

Inputs usually involved reading some toasted document which was either woefully half assed (is there that sort of sink?) or intentionally flat out wrong and incomplete about either some arcane and dysfunctional piece of hardware, like an infrared transmitter/receiver or a primitive DMA device or a video card purporting to be PCI compliant that really isn't (they don't point out the I/0 registers down there below 64k physical address space but outside of the VGA registers that control frame rate) or something like a Win32 spec for serial devices or USB power management (consistently contradicting each other) or Azure Cloud APIs that changed weekly attempting to manage farms of porpoising win64 servers without any direct debug info.

Outputs involved other documents about what what supposed to be exposed, a UART interface, an IBM spec for serial ports, Direct3D or OpenGL or GDI32 or an OSF Remote Procedure Call interface or Remote Desktop API, all of which went down this twisted logical ratholes of Escherian labyrinthic minutia.

After reading piles of this kind of detalia, I'd wander around, have a coffee, go look at birds or trees and waste a lot of time here being amused at the collective madness that lurks in this corner of the innert00bs.

Eventually, sometimes, I'd figure out a way to logically connect the inputs to the outputs, defining what was needed to start the device, how to expose it's status and controls to the output specifications. Then design a bunch of software objects in C or C++ that would logically link all that shit up. Like how to expose the DMA signaled hardware interrupt on a high end 3d video card to the operating system so the user mode DirectX/OpenGL would know when the DMA video buffer was empty.

Politics always lurked around and ultimately, after turning down management positions because of a stated inability to lie and an unending supply of young, smart, hardworking H1B visa holders, I was given a few sheckels to leave.

So I did.

And now I'm building a #dreamshack in the backyard, blasting the nailgun, getting my chainsaw seamstress wife to do the deft cuts while I can fuck up the not so deft shit and harassing my son into helping with the heavy lifting and carrying shit.

And skiing. A lot.

So I guess we've switched roles.

But for different reasons.

I did get a lot of satisfaction out of doing software, defining and implementing code that billions of people use.

I'd gotten tired of abstract math, which like atrocious art, is only "appreciated" by a select few.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

let's see moar shack pics

Can't OP just take a break every now and then and take a spin doing 95 on I-70 towards Vail? Send a few texts/emails on the way and your employer will be none the wiser. Work smarter, not harder, JONG.
    [quote][//quote]

Dang, I wonder what 'a few sheckels' of severance from a tech company translates to.

And i thought you guys always go and jump into start ups after you leave the big company.

I look at my paycheck and then I look at the outside guy's paycheck. It doesn't entirely quell soul sucking nature of office life, but it helps.