Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Collegge

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Prepare for comments about your accent. You have one, even if you think you don’t. Skip the drinking, sure, but don’t skip the parties. Focus all that sober energy on getting laid, a lot.
    I went to boarding school in NH freshman and sophomore year. I knew I had an accent to some degree but everyone let me know that I sounded like a complete redneck.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Bojangles is more miss than hit these days. Popeyes is at least consistently mediocre. The time required to find the good Bojangles would be better spent finding the local fried chicken place that’s in every southern town, likely in the back of a little country gas station.
    Good point. Chris Washburn, one of the biggest draft busts in American sports history, is from my town and ended up back here after his playing career wound down. He opened a chicken joint and it was pretty good but he found himself back on the wrong side of the law and it closed a few years back. The thing with all of the local joints is they are all somewhat out of the way and only one has a drive thru.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    I knew a man bonangles and he’d fry chicken for you

In his chicken-cooking shoes

Silver hair a nice red shirt and a point uh sale

He fried chicken

He cooked so much chicken
    He cooked so much chicken

John Denver or JJW version? There is a right and wrong answer.

From a loser that barely squeaked by in 5 years (undergrad)....the Dean of the College actually asked me if I even knew where the library was.

Go to class, stay engaged. Yes you can copy down every word the prof says and not hear a thing. You need to hear what they're saying.

Figure out how you learn. I was 2 years out of school when I figured out that I had to self test (and write things down) to make sure I understood. Reading didn't do shit for me. Once you figure that out, everything aligns.

Get to know your professors. Don't be that guy that is obviously brown-nosing to get grades, rather focus on truly understanding the subject with them. They will appreciate your interest and as a former teacher, nothing is more gratifying than watching that light bulb come on.

Try to get internships. I know most people want their summers off but as a guy that hires a lot of people, experience is way importanter than grades or where you went to school (not exactly true if going straight to grad school).

Play the field in your first year until you find a keeper...as SFB said, don't catch and release a keeper. Takes a lot of energy to keep finding new trim. This may have been the only reason I graduated.

I didn't go to grad school until 17 years after undergrad. Life experiences made it so easy, it was comical.

It's the best time you'll ever have in life.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    …read an artical…

Me i didnt have the stomach for more school
    Obvi

College

StealYurFace: you have a great future ahead of you. Bozeman is a fun place for a skier to go to college. Probably the absolute best IMO.

You already have a head start by having skied with Bunion. Some very solid maggots at Bridger. They can show you the way. Bunch of names dropped in this thread. Hang with those guys and you will be skiing things no one else in your dorm has ever heard of.

Another head start you have is being clean and sober. Stay that way forever, don’t go backwards. Hit up Whiteroom Guardian, he can mentor you, he has his shit together.

College is what you make of it. Apply yourself and you will learn a lot. Don’t apply yourself and you won’t learn shit.

My personal college story is immaterial to this thread, but here goes. I was a 22 y/o freshman who already had 2 Persian Gulf deployments under my belt. So I had zero in common with my fellow students. Plus the military was paying my way, all they cared about was that I majored in Engineering, they did not care what my GPA was. So I took the bare minimum Engineering classes and as many electives as I could. I think that made me a better overall person. YMMV of course.

Welcome to Bozeman.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    One other thing - biggest thing you can do to keep your grades up? Simple. Attend every class.

Sounds stupid and obvious. It's not.
    I'm a professor and this is about the truest advice you're going to get. I bet I can count on my fingers the number of sub-B grades I've given out to students who showed up every day.

Next, you should go visit your professors during office hours or make an appointment. Feel it out a bit as everyone, but overall, professors love when students come to talk to them and they often know what more about the system in general than you do (and more than is useful in their particular class). That personal connection will also make your grad school recommendations a lot stronger. I was terrible at this as an undergrad. I felt like I was imposing. It made me much less cognizant as to what went into the transition to grad school and it was only later in grad school and as a prof myself that I realized how welcome I likely would have been.

Socializing I'm sure that you can figure out on your own.

Attend office hours of professors. Attend office hours of teaching assistants. Internship over non-academic paid gig if you have to pick between the two.

I used to be a graduate assistant at MSU.

I TAd an upper division calc-based course. Empty office hours all semester and then kids who had cut half the classes would show up to my office hours the night before the exam and I would have to try to teach them how to take a derivative. Don't do that.

DO sign up for extreme skiing gym class for class credit. It's ridge hiking with other college kids with a BB guide from the ski school to show you the goods.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    DO sign up for extreme skiing gym class for class credit. It's ridge hiking with other college kids with a BB guide from the ski school to show you the goods.

Here I thought my senior year bowling elective was hot shit.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude2340 View Post
    Obvi
    OTOH I been retired & skiing slum land lord for the last 16yrs

how bout you ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Had no idea about that this. Fkna. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    You'll need a set of 18 DIN bindings and self arrest poles.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post

I may be out of date with the course catalog. I don't see extreme skiing listed any more. I think you want "advanced skiing" now but they also offer "Backcountry ski fundamentals." They also offer rock climbing, backpacking, kayaking, etc. as 1 credit gym classes.

You may as well get easy course credit and meet some people.

Missoula, 1988 - I took sking 1, 2 and 3. Waived my fees and passed myself. Ski school director and the other instructors helped me pick my own class of medium ability and up students (female only).

But that also explains why I was a solid C student. Don't be like me...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    You'll need a set of 18 DIN bindings and self arrest poles.
    How do you feel about pole straps?

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Missoula, 1988 - I took sking 1, 2 and 3. Waived my fees and passed myself. Ski school director and the other instructors helped me pick my own class of medium ability and up students (female only).

Did you have to execute dolphin turns?

Conflicted.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Or powder skirts?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Ahh, but did you take trout hasslin' for credit as well?

<snip>

I am unable to find this class in the catalog... any help? Because I may just take a sabbatical from my job to go back to school for a semester.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I didn't go to grad school until 17 years after undergrad. Life experiences made it so easy, it was comical.
    Right? Going to college at 18 was like climbing some crazy mountain while grad school the second time around was like carving turns on a sunny day a nice green run.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I am unable to find this class in the catalog... any help? Because I may just take a sabbatical from my job to go back to school for a semester.
    Do u have the balls to take it for credit, or are u gonna go P/F?

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Right? Going to college at 18 was like climbing some crazy mountain while grad school the second time around was like carving turns on a sunny day a nice green run.
    What was your job situation at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Do u have the balls to take it for credit, or are u gonna go P/F?
    Oh, hell, man... I may just audit the course.