Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Collegge

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Ultimately if your actually intelligent and driven it will work out in the end. Maybe starting out might be a bit more difficult compared to a stem degree but SYF seems like a smart kid that has drive. It's not like snow science was going to lead to fame and fortune out of the gate. At least with English lit the kid's studying what he enjoys, clearly he writes pretty well.
    Yup. Watch out for those damn hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Anything having to do with writing, editing or communications. If you're good at it and understand proper mechanics, there is a need.
    Man... you aren't kidding. Have you *seen* some of the bullshit grammar/usage mistakes on the internet? And this from actual news companies. Every time I run across one, I cringe.

I studied Japanese and Japanese history, with a side of English lit, and have kept a roof over my head so far, but I have the sense the job market wasn't as pigeonholed back then as it is now...for instance, humans still read resumes when I was looking for my first jobs out of school. So my worthless two cents would be to consider adding a minor that shows numeracy (snow science? econ?) or some knowledge of / affinity for business (marketing could be a nice complement for English lit).

Turtle Island, by Gary Snyder. Give that a try SYF.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Man... you aren't kidding. Have you *seen* some of the bullshit grammar/usage mistakes on the internet? And this from actual news companies. Every time I run across one, I cringe.
    This is what you get when 75%+ of your communication is done by text. This problem will only get worse.
    I plead with young sales reps that I deal with to pick up a phone to get shit right the first time. It falls on deaf ears, and I sound like a "get off my lawn" guy.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Now I'm just praying for some more fucking, snow.
    FIFY. Good luck young Mag.

Is she out of your league in the looks department or skiing ability. Either way, good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Serious question: what does one do with an English Lit degree?
    Go teach….lots of jobs all over the country….pick ur spot/go..

Collegge

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Go teach….lots of jobs all over the country….pick ur spot/go..
    I tried substitute teaching in between my recent jobs. and fyi there is such a disparity between regions.
    WY would pay me $180 /day but idaho was less than $100 a day. WTF
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I tried substitute teaching in between my recent jobs. and fyi there is such a disparity between regions.
    WY would pay me $180 /day but idaho was less than $100 a day. WTF
    180 a day is really good……100 seems to be the norm. After taxes, it’s really low…and of course It’s one of the reasons there is such a substitute shortage…..everywhere.

Collegge

180 a day is really good……100 seems to be the norm. After taxes, it’s really low…and of course It’s one of the reasons there is such a substitute shortage…..everywhere.
    Our district hires people that are not even education majors…..They hire basically any college grad/then pay them to go back and get their teaching certs.

Principals go to job fairs….to recruit anybody that has a heartbeat.

Sad state of affairs…but good time for a kid to be an education major…..if they want a job.

Sad state of affairs…but good time for a kid to be an education major…..if they want a job.
    Truth! I've always been an O&G guy. Wife's always been in education. Now she makes way more than me these days. Teachers in our district START at around $60K. Administrators do pretty good too. Private consultants do REALLY good. Or get into the whole curriculum development and publishing world and dat public $$$ seems to flow like wine. My how times have changed.

Point being, if you are motivated enough and push to constantly better yourself, taking advantage of opportunities provided by the schools (and sought out by yourself), the field of education can be QUITE good. I certainly won't talk any smack any more about it.

I have a literature degree. And a PhD in literacy studies. I also have a decent little background in computer science. I can't possibly overstate how much that CS background has helped me over the last 25 years. Just about every time I ever applied for anything, my ability to write code has given me a leg up, even though I've never once been hired to write code.

I would add that these days the majority of texts that humans compose and consume are in some way mediated by computer code and, increasingly, some sort of artificial intelligence. Studying literature without ever considering how machines (and media beyond the printed word) play a role in how we make meaning with and from words is... well... a little old fashioned. I'm certainly not saying everyone studying literature needs to focus on this, but if you learn a little bit about this, it is likely to serve you well. If none of your literature professors are talking about this (likely) you might peak into other departments (philosophy? media studies? maybe anthropology?).

My advice for literature majors stated more succinctly:

Take a couple CS classes. And take a class or two from professors who study something connected to social media. It'll add depth to both your understanding of literature and your resume.

So your advice to Lit majors is to take STEM classes. Got it. Yup. Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

$60k to start. Where are you?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Same advice for Art majors. It's not the 19th century. If you want to make Grecian Urns or write Odes on them you better have a trust fund.

But if you can write skillfully or make things looks pretty AND know your way around a variety of technology, there is plenty of interesting work out there. Including teaching. I used to teach a Master's level education class on interdisciplinary humanities instruction. The culminating task for students in my class was to create a project that would become part of their portfolio when they applied for teaching jobs. The ones who had a technology component in their projects had a much easier time finding good teaching positions. These were English and History teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Ended up switching my major from snow science to english-lit.

Now I'm just praying for some more fucking snow.
    A harsh reality check - you are now paying out of state tuition for a english-lit degree. A degree you could get anywhere, and in many places an order of magnitude cheaper from an equally prestigious school. When you were Snow Science it made sense to go to school here, but are you getting good value for money being where you are now, majoring in what you're doing now?

This is the exact trap many students fall into, and it's playing out in the same manner. Get into a school with a specialized program, decide it's not for you and switch to something non-specialized while still paying specialized university rates because you're happy where you are. Then rack up 4-5 years of out of student debt for a generic degree. And when you get the first loan payment bill you'll wake up and realize the barista degree won't ever justify the $40k/year spent on school and you're going to be scraping by for the next 15 years asking yourself if it was worth it. Eyes on the prize my friend, College is ultimately about paying a lot of money for a career path, and a lot of folks don't figure it out until they're crushed by debt. Massive, unforgivable, government enforced, debt. Tread carefully, the meter is running.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Our district hires people that are not even education majors…..They hire basically any college grad/then pay them to go back and get their teaching certs.
    I think the Wyoming teachers are decently compensated as I have several friends that are teachers but that Idaho pay is sad.
    I probably would have done the WY sub'ing had I not found a job I really liked. Sub'ing seems kind of dope for a quasi-professional winter job bc you only have to commit to short periods. High pressure..sure I'll work the next week
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Are college STEM courses the best way to obtain practical CS skills?

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    Tread carefully, the meter is running.
    If you're happy with Bozeman it's not hard to convince yourself to take the year off for in-state and get as many ski days as you can. Plenty of jobs in town besides waiting tables or bumping chairs, it often involves saying the right things when you're talking to the right people.

Depending on how old you are, Pell Grants will cover most of the nut and MSU is generous with grants for non-traditional age students. Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    A harsh reality check - you are now paying out of state tuition for a english-lit degree. A degree you could get anywhere, and in many places an order of magnitude cheaper from an equally prestigious school. When you were Snow Science it made sense to go to school here, but are you getting good value for money being where you are now, majoring in what you're doing now?

This is the exact trap many students fall into, and it's playing out in the same manner. Get into a school with a specialized program, decide it's not for you and switch to something non-specialized while still paying specialized university rates because you're happy where you are. Then rack up 4-5 years of out of student debt for a generic degree. And when you get the first loan payment bill you'll wake up and realize the barista degree won't ever justify the $40k/year spent on school and you're going to be scraping by for the next 15 years asking yourself if it was worth it. Eyes on the prize my friend, College is ultimately about paying a lot of money for a career path, and a lot of folks don't figure it out until they're crushed by debt. Massive, unforgivable, government enforced, debt. Tread carefully, the meter is running.
    He's most likely attending through WUE type program and paying close to resident rate for most states. Keep in mind Montana unis offer pretty hefty scholarships for smart kids with around 3.8 or above in a attempt to have a diverse student body and grow their brand. . My kid was offered enough to make it comparable to my in-state rate(around $22 k including dorm/food) and he's not a 1% er, I think you just need to maintain a 3.0.
    I sure as shit hope the kid isn't paying full boat out of state at MSU for ANYTHING unless his parents can suck it up without financial worries.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I think the Wyoming teachers are decently compensated as I have several friends that are teachers but that Idaho pay is sad.
    I probably would have done the WY sub'ing had I not found a job I really liked. Sub'ing seems kind of dope for a quasi-professional winter job bc you only have to commit to short periods. High pressure..sure I'll work the next week
    The tough part about subbing is not knowing if you are going to be working. The call often comes at 6 a.m. Just speaking for myself, I like to know what I'm doing for work the next day when I go to bed. But you're right, it is a very flexible ski job because you don't have to work any day you don't want. In Montana they pay $140 a day, and that's for about 7 hours, and no lesson planning or correcting. Decent deal, especially for semi-retired people.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    If you're happy with Bozeman it's not hard to convince yourself to take the year off for in-state and get as many ski days as you can. Plenty of jobs in town besides waiting tables or bumping chairs, it often involves saying the right things when you're talking to the right people.

Depending on how old you are, Pell Grants will cover most of the nut and MSU is generous with grants for non-traditional age students. Ask me how I know.
    Not sure when you went to school--back in my day it was easy to get in-state tuition if you just worked in state for a few months--but these days, if you are still listed as a dependent on somebody else's tax return (a non-resident), you cannot qualify for in-state tuition. I believe that is SYF's situation.

Met a pretty cool (and out of my league) ripper chick and am trying to make something happen there. Got 3 days in with her last week. Hoping to add a few more this week. Really hoping I don't fuck this up.

Now I'm just praying for some more fucking snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Wrong attitude. Don’t let her smell fear or you’re going to be the guy waxing her skis while she’s waxing some other guy’s pole. You got this.
    Jimmy is right here, even though he never shou,d have fessed up to lusting after women in his mind…

Your Tactical Roadmap follows (from The Tao of Steve
    1. Eliminate Desire. Women can smell an agenda from a mile away.
    2. Do something excellent in their presence
    3. Retreat, and they will pursue

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Not sure when you went to school--back in my day it was easy to get in-state tuition if you just worked in state for a few months--but these days, if you are still listed as a dependent on somebody else's tax return (a non-resident), you cannot qualify for in-state tuition. I believe that is SYF's situation.
    Montana doesn't make it that easy but it's not too hard, max enrollment is 6 credits/semester for the first year while getting residency and no more than 30 days out of state within the first year, get a voter card or license asap, and it's all good. So yeah, ends up taking an extra year for most but it's still less expensive over 5 vs the 4. My kid did this, and it cut tuition from ~$12K down to ~4K/semester. The ~$16K/yr savings more than offsets any tax break I'd get for continuing to carry a dependent deduction. Plus, at least he got some of the stimulus money thrown at him.

SYF, if you need a job and don't mind working at a big box grocery I'm pretty sure he could get you a job tomorrow (he's the night manager). Seems like everyone is hiring/needs help.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

You want the womenz? OK kid, here you go. Make her laugh. I had a career trying to get women to buy my salesman line and humoras a fist move worked. I have asked women what they liked about their mate and "He made me laugh" is the top reply. I watched a guy I worked on the road with who was a sex addict make his moves and he always led with something to make her smile. That's how I got mine and one was enough.

If you learn nothing else in school, this advice should suffice.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Collegge

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Jimmy is right here, even though he never shou,d have fessed up to lusting after women in his mind…

Your Tactical Roadmap follows (from The Tao of Steve
    1. Eliminate Desire. Women can smell an agenda from a mile away.
    2. Do something excellent in their presence
    3. Retreat, and they will pursue