Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Collegge

Sub teachers here make shit.. Like $80/day with a 4 yr degree, $100/day with cert. That's like ten to twelve fiddy an hour.. My son makes more than that as a shift manager at Jack in the Box. but with some benefits and not an independent fucking contractor...

SYF would do much better in another state outside of NC for teaching as a career path. Every good teacher any of my kids ever had either had a spouse with a big money gig or left the state to teach elsewhere for quite a bit more money..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    humoras a fist move worked.
    Humerus fisting sounds like an advanced pickup move.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Humerus fisting sounds like an advanced pickup move.
    Using the whole arm there doc?

$60k to start. Where are you?
    I think he’s in Texas now. Texas pays teachers pretty well. I don’t know if it’s still the case, but Texas also used to have an excellent teacher retirement plan.

a fist move worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Haha. The DENNIS system worked for OUR generation. Dennis has since revamped the system to adapt to the modern narcissistic generation. Take notes, everyone:

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Ooof. Tried to say I used humor to sway my first girl friend and the approach still works on her 50+ years later. Typos, I once billed a female client for "48 Short Sleeve Shits" and she thought it was funny.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Ooof. Tried to say I used humor to sway my first girl friend and the approach still works on her 50+ years later. Typos, I once billed a female client for "48 Short Sleeve Shits" and she thought it was funny.
    I have to watch for this one when signing emails..

Regards;.... Guess what.. "Retards" also passes spell check and means something entirely different! The t is right above the g..

All you guys who are recommending teaching as a career path may want to listen to this counterpoint…
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ced-leave.html

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    All you guys who are recommending teaching as a career path may want to listen to this counterpoint…
    My 23 yo daughter is working herself to death at a Boston charter school. The school offers little support dealing w unbelievably challenging kids, pay is lousy, and the retirement is not portable. She has a superior education and is capable of doing anything she puts her mind to. We're hoping she gets some sp ed experience (has masters in sp ed/fluent in spanish) and goes on to law school to become an advocate for kids.

Throw in covid and it's a complete shitshow.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    He's most likely attending through WUE type program and paying close to resident rate for most states. Keep in mind Montana unis offer pretty hefty scholarships for smart kids with around 3.8 or above in a attempt to have a diverse student body and grow their brand. . My kid was offered enough to make it comparable to my in-state rate(around $22 k including dorm/food) and he's not a 1% er, I think you just need to maintain a 3.0.
    I sure as shit hope the kid isn't paying full boat out of state at MSU for ANYTHING unless his parents can suck it up without financial worries.
    I'm assuming he's getting nothing, and SYF is the only one who knows his actual tuition situation. Based on my experience in CA (4.2/4.0 GPA, 1410/1600 SAT, loads of AP classes and extracurriculars). I got jack shit in scholarships or aid from the UC between 1999-2003, only offers for loans. My gut feeling was my parents fell into the donut hole of making too much to be considered for many scholarships, but not making enough to comfortably afford in state tuition and that's a big donut hole. MSU runs $40k per year for non-resident, all in. https://www.montana.edu/opa/facts/tuition.html

MSU is a top tier STEM school. It's a good all around school, but not a notable liberal arts school. And the collective here is recommending he SYF get a $160k+ degree to go and be a sub teacher making barely above minimum wage? News flash, that's piss poor financial decision making.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

If he is one of the hardest working in his class, he will have learned valuable skills while there regardless of his field of study and those students are not likely to be punished with substitute teaching jobs. Would adding some business, math, or CS be a bad idea? No one has suggested that. Although it's an interesting point about the value of the MSU lit degree vs UNC you are still beating a strawman to death.

I would also add that if he is there because he wants to be in Montana, it could be worth taking a look at what skills are desirable in that market specifically, if any, so he can stick around after graduation. Maybe even the minor in snow science could make sense?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    I'm assuming he's getting nothing, and SYF is the only one who knows his actual tuition situation. Based on my experience in CA (4.2/4.0 GPA, 1410/1600 SAT, loads of AP classes and extracurriculars). I got jack shit in scholarships or aid from the UC between 1999-2003, only offers for loans. My gut feeling was my parents fell into the donut hole of making too much to be considered for many scholarships, but not making enough to comfortably afford in state tuition and that's a big donut hole. MSU runs $40k per year for non-resident, all in. https://www.montana.edu/opa/facts/tuition.html

MSU is a top tier STEM school. It's a good all around school, but not a notable liberal arts school. And the collective here is recommending he SYF get a $160k+ degree to go and be a sub teacher making barely above minimum wage? News flash, that's piss poor financial decision making.
    I only mentioned the discount rate cause he mentioned a scholarship way back and assuming he received something similar to my kid who's a high school senior now as well as my daughters friend who was offered a full tuition scholarship at MSU 4 years ago but passed to attend Stanford. Those scholarships were offered on straight merit before any family financials were even stated. Keep in mind my kid is no ROCKET SCIENTIST, just a hard worker with decent GPA and decent( not great)SAT. UC system is considered top tier in the country and can be selective as well as not offer much financial help to maintain enrollment but Montana uni system is a whole different animal with a state population around a million. They need bodies and trying hard to increase their regional presence and taking smart out of state kids at a discounted rate is something they are doing to help grow and gain more prestige. When my kid/wife sat through the UM presentation they talked about how the cost to attend can be cheaper than state rates at many places with their scholarship offerings. I know multiples kids that ended up at BOTH UM and MSU and they none of them are paying full out of state rate.
    I 100% agree with you that going in debt to attend a lower tier school for a liberal art degree is not a smart move, just giving the kid benefit of doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    If he is one of the hardest working in his class, he will have learned valuable skills while there regardless of his field of study and those students are not likely to be punished with substitute teaching jobs. Would adding some business, math, or CS be a bad idea? No one has suggested that. Although it's an interesting point about the value of the MSU lit degree vs UNC you are still beating a strawman to death.

I would also add that if he is there because he wants to be in Montana, it could be worth taking a look at what skills are desirable in that market specifically, if any, so he can stick around after graduation. Maybe even the minor in snow science could make sense?
    So you are arguing that a English Lit degree from MSU with a couple of business, math or CS is worth an 80k price premium vs. the exact same thing from UNC? Are you saying his career prospects will be worth the additional debt because he took 4-5 classes outside of his major? This isn't a strawman, this is a question if the degree he is now pursuing at this price is good return on investment. That's my entire point. SYF started at Bozeman seeking something that was very specialized and something unique to Bozeman and therefore worth a premium price. That has now changed and the question has become is he still getting good value for money. I'm not trying to judge here because SYF may have received a lot of $$$ from MSU, but I don't know that. Some of that money may have been tied to being enrolled in the snow science program. All I know is the MSRP on the website and that says the question should be asked, and the only knucklehead on this board that knows enough to actually answer it is SYF.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

I feel like SYF is using this place to conduct sociological research.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

How much would I have to pay you to live in NC?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    While I'm not an expert this is what I have gathered being someone with a somewhat useless degree who fucked around and "found out."

If you are in college kick serious ass and use it to either head to law school or medical school. SYF has the smarts and sounds like the discipline to go with it. My friends who did this are crushing it. I have a couple buddies who skied hard, partied hard, and studied hard and now make 300k/year. I'm not sure I could have done that if I tried. Kudos to them. My friends with other useless degrees/didn't apply themselves like me are either struggling or found a way to be their own boss.

If I had any guidance I would have either really buckled down in school and gotten into some advance specialized degree.....or completely skipped college and gotten into the field I am in now much sooner.

I fucked off too much and literally the only thing I ever heard from my parents was, "Just get any degree and all will be fine." I suppose that was true in 1970. I should have done my own research, but I was just some 18 year old kid who didn't know shit and just wanted to ski.

I know nothing about SYF's parents involvement in his life, but I do have some friends who are happy has teachers, etc making like 40-50k/year but they also got free houses, cars, etc and parents that help them so they can totally make it work on pretty low salaries.

If you are gonna be totally on your own as an adult 40-50k doesn't really work unless you are very good with your money, live somewhere cheap (aka not near any good mountains) and ideally have a partner who also has a job and you can then split expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    How much would I have to pay you to live in NC?
    Better beaches than Cali, on par with The Hamptons, but warmer water early and late season.. Better mountains than Midwest. Pretty good camping and fishing all around. Good college basketball, NHL, shitty NFL. Ya but the public schools here suck...

Collegge

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    And the collective here is recommending he SYF get a $160k+ degree to go and be a sub teacher making barely above minimum wage? News flash, that's piss poor financial decision making.
    to be clear on my position-I am not suggesting he get a degree to become a sub at all.
    But I thought it was an interesting option for a skier and a person who didn’t want to commit to a job yet (and I have supplemental income)
    Also interesting to see the disparity in pay.
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    No double secret probation here. Ended up switching my major from snow science to english-lit. Quite the jump, in know. Being a humanities guy through and through, I really can't understand why I ever let myself choose snow science in the first place. Course load this semester will be some heavier as I need to make up some ground with the core requirements for english lit. Still have 2 free weekdays to spend at Bridger but scheduling and time management are gonna have to be a priority.

Met a pretty cool (and out of my league) ripper chick and am trying to make something happen there. Got 3 days in with her last week. Hoping to add a few more this week. Really hoping I don't fuck this up.

Now I'm just praying for some more fucking snow.
    syf's most recent post^^^, yesterday morning -
    -face is a skier, and went to/came to Montana for the mountains - and school
    ( he wrote of law school aspirations ).

Good luck, syf -
    Please, keep up with your schoolwork !

I hope you get some good snow before April.

skiJ

head to law school
    I don't think this is good blanket advice these days. I know more than a few lawyers who quit practicing law after a few years because they were miserable. I know a couple who never found a decent job and moved on to other careers. I also know some who love it and have become wildly successful, some who make very little money but love the work they do, and some who make a lot of money and fucking hate it. Come to think of it... why do I know so many lawyers?

I'm sure the actual lawyers here can offer more clarity, but I don't think a law degree guaranties financial success the way it once did, unless you're an ass kicker from a strong program.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    If you are in college kick serious ass and use it to either head to law school or medical school.
    This is terrible advice.

For all your friends who are supposedly crushing it, do you know how many people went to law school following your exact logic, did alright, and are now technically working within the legal field but are pretty far from high earners while still paying back the exact same costs as the ones making big money?

Ditto medical school. Making serious money out of that takes an extremely long time and is far from assured: med school, residency, maybe a chief year, god knows how many years of fellowship to get into a specialty (that's assuming someone can even get a spot in the program), and then finally getting a job in that field. All through this, forget about being a ski bum and, oh, try not to forget that once you're 35 and starting your first adult job, you'll also be paying back loans that will last just shy of forever.

If somebody's passionate about either of those fields, go for it. If the passion is really for large numbers in a bank account, you're gonna burn out spectacularly because the promise of big money by itself won't keep you engaged through the years of dues paying.

If a parent is paying for it all, well, cool, but see above about burning out spectacularly.
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I guess my point is that if you are smart and work hard school can/should be a springboard to some level of success. I certainly did not pick up on this fact until I was far too old.

Apparently my doctor/lawyer friends are not the norm because they are successful and happy?

Obvious disclaimer: Don't take career advice from me. Just sharing my experience having seen lifelong friends take various different paths than I.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    If somebody's passionate about either of those fields, go for it. If the passion is really for large numbers in a bank account, you're gonna burn out spectacularly because the promise of big money by itself won't keep you engaged through the years of dues paying.
    Haven't really followed the entire thread but it seems his passion is skiing, so MSU is the right place regardless of degree or cost. Choosing a degree your freshman year is more an exercise in long term planning, but really he has plenty of time to find his path. I know plenty of people who switched majors 3-4 times (I think they all ended up with business degrees though). Fuck all these bankers talking about return on investment and blah blah blah. It's the right investment if you want to build your life around skiing and living in the west. If you're facing falling deep in debt, take a year to work and get residency. It's not that hard. Or just move to NC because it has nice beaches

PS SYF, if you want to rip around BB sometime hit me up

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    This is terrible advice.

For all your friends who are supposedly crushing it, do you know how many people went to law school following your exact logic, did alright, and are now technically working within the legal field but are pretty far from high earners while still paying back the exact same costs as the ones making big money?

Ditto medical school. Making serious money out of that takes an extremely long time and is far from assured: med school, residency, maybe a chief year, god knows how many years of fellowship to get into a specialty (that's assuming someone can even get a spot in the program), and then finally getting a job in that field. All through this, forget about being a ski bum and, oh, try not to forget that once you're 35 and starting your first adult job, you'll also be paying back loans that will last just shy of forever.
    I've heard this a LOT from people who never went all in and finished law school/med school passed the bar/completed their residency.. I've never heard it once from the dozens of people family and friends who did it. Most of them did end up taking 5+ years to fully pay off the student loans.

So, I'll take the word of people I know who DID that over that of some outsider or observer's view. Anyone out there practicing law or medicine right now that would drop out and flip burgers or pound shingles instead knowing what they know now??

I'll wait..