Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Collegge

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Can confirm. In undergrad, Delta's regional airline, Comair, had their biggest hub in our city and they offered these things called Weekend Traveler Packets where you got 4 one-way tickets anywhere they flew for $300, you just had to fly on a Friday and return on the following Monday. Well, don't tempt me and my like-minded roommates with a good time. Ended up in the Bahamas and Eagle County on more than one occasion. What classes?

You fucked up, you trusted us!

Must have been nice to have $300 during undergrad.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Must have been nice to have $300 during undergrad.
    I won't pretend that I had it particularly hard, but I did have the frugal college experience down to a science.

I could get a sixer, a pack of smokes, a dime bag and a late night Taco Bell all for $20. I also worked part time; midweek I ate at the cafeteria and/or traded with my buds who worked at other food and drink establishments.
    I still call it The Jake.

I’m beginning to think the college experience has changed a bit since the collective was graduated.

Or maybe I’m just doing it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

Well, yeah. Seemed like everyone in the late 90s smoked when drinking, and your tastes vastly change once you have some scratch in your wallet. It also helped to have friends with morally casual attitudes and negotiable virtues.

Never, and I repeat, never, offer your car up for someone's use freshman year.
    Isn't it his Dad's car?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Isn't it his Dad's car?
    Nope, title is in my name and I am making full payments on it. Very much my car.

Then absolutely, under no circumstances, do you lend your car out.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    I’m beginning to think the college experience has changed a bit since the collective was graduated.

Shit has changed.

But college is still fun I hope.
    Just a shit load more expensive. And less crazy fun.

The shit we did would get you arrested or expelled today.

Sorry.
    . . .

Not an expert, but smart phone cameras and social media has killed the classic college experience I suspect. If 1/10 of the shit I saw in college was posted nowadays, many folks would have had a very different career trajectory. So glad I settled down somewhat by the time the millennium came around.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Adding to the low key and study vibe, I'd somehow mention that with everyone on the "pending list" that they'll get assigned a random at some point and they should be open to taking you as someone they've at least met in person.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    This. If there’s a list of folks waiting for on campus housing, none of those guys will have a single a month from now.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Not an expert, but smart phone cameras and social media has killed the classic college experience I suspect. If 1/10 of the shit I saw in college was posted nowadays, many folks would have had a very different career trajectory. So glad I settled down somewhat by the time the millennium came around.
    Quite a few schools went "dry" during the 90's which just meant no more kegs, just cans/bottles and party balls for that short time. It actually slowed down drinking quite a bit and with legalization of weeds lot if kids actually stay in more. I had a friend who lost his job as a beer distributor rep selling kegs to all the Greek system in Eugene in the way 90's when they made kegs illegal. Dui's have severe consequences these days. NO cop in America sends kids home anymore when their clearly hammered like the 70's and 80's and it's an expensive venture if you get popped, just ask Mark Few.
    Last edited by fatnslow; 09-21-2021 at 11:35 AM.

It is different cause we're all like your dad's age.... You'll find your groove and your own tribe soon enough. Don't compare your own journey to anyone else's, just enjoy the ride cause it goes quick. My oldest kid just graduated and he was just telling me how fast it went.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Shit has changed.

But college is still fun I hope.
    Just a shit load more expensive. And less crazy fun.

The shit we did would get you arrested or expelled today.

Sorry.
    Ok boomer… Please regale us with your amazing stories of stuff that would never happen today and how cool you were back in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Ok boomer… Please regale us with your amazing stories of stuff that would never happen today and how cool you were back in the 70s.
    I'll play.. Spring Break trip to Purgatory.. Lost my wallet the day before the trip.. Drinking all the way, beer cans in the back seat, bong in the front seat.. Cop we passed lights up and does a u turn. Friend puts the bong in his lap with a folded hoodie over it. Pulled over, Co trooper walks on and shines the light around at the beer cans, car reeks for sure. "You boys on your spring break?" Yes sir, we're late for our motel reservation, sorry we were going a little fast. I lost my wallet but the ID number is on my checks, Here's my checkbook. Cop comes back with a $25 mail in ticket and just lets us go on about our way.

White privilege is a real thing..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Well, some of the shit we did back then WOULD get you arrested. And many times you were given the choice of jail or Vietnam, as happened to my brother.

And we did it all without GPS or cell phones, on long straight skis and kayaks, while wearing neon, out-of-bounds meant out-of-bounds, and weed was illegal everywhere. Thank you Greg Stump. And Jerry. I wouldn’t change a thing. Now get off my lawn!

Edit: I actually would change listening to 4th generation cassette tape bootlegs. Digital soundboard audio is pretty great.
    Last edited by singlecross; 09-21-2021 at 10:52 AM.

I could get a sixer, a pack of smokes
    Marboro light and a tab.
    1985's Breakfast of champs
    "Can't you see..."

Oh man, college jobs... For most of my sophomore year (and part of Jr year) I teamed up with another guy who had somehow gotten a "caterer" license, which meant that he could legally fill up the 6' tall cylinders with N20. Hippie crack. He didn't have a car so I was the driver - we'd leverage our various connections at the bigger schools within ~2 hours of us (UNH, UMass, Providence, etc) and bring the tanks to parties.

The best part was, my boy was an introvert - he didn't want to deal with anybody. So my job was to deal with the customers - to collect the cash and then let him know how many balloons to fill up. It was a position filled with plenty of... perks. No health insurance, no paid time off, high probability of arrest, but man. Best job I ever had. and one of the best years of my life

Heh. I remember before they required a license. There was a place out in Marlborough that sold it. But they were always cranky when a bunch of long hairs poured out of a VW bus...

Xenon is better (reportedly) and doesn't require a license, but it's spendy.

Whippets.. Meh.. fun for an hour or so taking turns passing out on it.. Hardly something worth chasing IMHO though. Once in awhile though ya, fun stuff hahaha..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I'll play.. Spring Break trip to Purgatory.. Lost my wallet the day before the trip.. Drinking all the way, beer cans in the back seat, bong in the front seat.. Cop we passed lights up and does a u turn. Friend puts the bong in his lap with a folded hoodie over it. Pulled over, Co trooper walks on and shines the light around at the beer cans, car reeks for sure. "You boys on your spring break?" Yes sir, we're late for our motel reservation, sorry we were going a little fast. I lost my wallet but the ID number is on my checks, Here's my checkbook. Cop comes back with a $25 mail in ticket and just lets us go on about our way.

White privilege is a real thing..
    C’mon Boomers, you gotta do better than a bong that is now legal, and a cop letting you off of a DWI / open container. Shit a friend of mine was let off of an obvious DUI in 2012. Cop waved him over in a construction site, quizzed him about drinking. Friend said I’m just driving 1mile from the train station and the cop said I tell you what, I’m going to place these two cones parallel to the direction you are traveling and if you can drive / turn through them without hitting either I’ll let you go. Friend said he had 3” on either side.

Kids today aren’t trading their pure MDMA and polyamory for the ability to drive drunk more frequently and get off.

That was always the interesting part of freshman year in the dorms, the variety of drugs coming through the place.

Opium one week, hash the next, enough schwag to choke an elephant, good weed, crazy boomers and paper, mdma... I saw a lot of people get weeded out (no pun intended) by the inability to say no once in a while to shopping at that variety store.

I just got the emails of the 3 remaining guys and sent them a plea. I looked them all up on Instagram and none look like skiers but whatever. They don't look like gamers who don't bathe and stay up all night and that is really all that matters.

I just got the emails of the 3 remaining guys and sent them a plea. I looked them all up on Instagram and none look like skiers but whatever. They don't look like gamers who don't bathe and stay up all night and that is really all that matters.
    Psst, people that study make great roommates too.
    Said the 47 yo bald guy that partied damn near every night….