Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1214

Thread: Collegge

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Just marry well and enjoy......
    Heh. Married one.
    My best man at my wedding married one. I was his best man. ED docs are mental.
    Weird world.
    PS. Both those ladies are mental. Wicked smaht.
    But mental.
    . . .

More pay the more competitive the residency. My sister a doc and they share horror stories of residency applications these days. Kids coming out of med school apply to 15-20 residencies just like college apps and creates a shitload of work for the evaluators. Most don't have a chance of matching to places they apply but hope and prayer... ER residency is relatively easy to match, secure job with predictable(grueling) hours with mid grade(MD range) pay. The well paid specialties are super competitive unless you're willing to live in undesirable areas.
    The proliferation of for-profit medical schools is helping to cause this issue. Take a look at how many 60k+/yr schools there are in the Intermountain-West to address the physician shortage in the area. Almost all are DO schools, not MD, and have poor placement. I have a cousin that just finished her first year with full loans at one of those places. Her parents are fully encouraging her to go down this route. She wants to be an ortho surgeon, they see the median $alary, not once do they look at the match rate from her predatory school.

My wife had a full ride to a UC state school, NIH funded MD/PhD program, 5 year categorical surgical residency, two year post-doc in a lab that just made international news, is about to start a two year cardiothoracic surgery fellowship, and will spend at least one year afterwards sub-specializing. She will be at least 37 when she finally starts practicing, she began med school at 20. When she talks about quitting and moving back to the beach to run a chocolate shop, I say fine, because we have no debt. No family money or connections, just old-fashioned work on her part.

A lot of those ER docs take the position after 3 years because their high interest loans are a giant weight on their back. Starting salary for a resident is ~60k/yr

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    The proliferation of for-profit medical schools is helping to cause this issue. Take a look at how many 60k+/yr schools there are in the Intermountain-West to address the physician shortage in the area. Almost all are DO schools, not MD, and have poor placement. I have a cousin that just finished her first year with full loans at one of those places. Her parents are fully encouraging her to go down this route. She wants to be an ortho surgeon, they see the median $alary, not once do they look at the match rate from her predatory school.

My wife had a full ride to a UC state school, NIH funded MD/PhD program, 5 year categorical surgical residency, two year post-doc in a lab that just made international news, is about to start a two year cardiothoracic surgery fellowship, and will spend at least one year afterwards sub-specializing. She will be at least 37 when she finally starts practicing, she began med school at 20. When she talks about quitting and moving back to the beach to run a chocolate shop, I say fine, because we have no debt. No family money or connections, just old-fashioned work on her part.

A lot of those ER docs take the position after 3 years because their high interest loans are a giant weight on their back. Starting salary for a resident is ~60k/yr
    Sounds like you have dumb asses in your family. Anyone smart enough to actually be admitted to a real med school (MD and DO) should understand that "for profit" schools are a way to print money for the owners and matching into a specialty with high salary is uber competitive.

Sounds like you have dumb asses in your family. Anyone smart enough to actually be admitted to a real med school (MD and DO) should understand that "for profit" schools are a way to print money for the owners and matching into a specialty with high salary is uber competitive.
    Ouch. A bit harsh.

But yeah. NP is the deal. Less school. Less Debt. Six figure income. Less liability. Winning.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Ouch. A bit harsh.

But yeah. NP is the deal. Less school. Less Debt. Six figure income. Less liability. Winning.
    Not really, anyone that's going to med school should have a clear understanding of how the matching process works and the chances of obtaining a specialty residency coming out of a "for profit" school. This isn't rocket science, all the data is easily obtainable or just a 5 minute conversation with a third year med student should do it.
    What's next a guy that finishes night law school thinks he's gonna end up with a job at a Wall Street firm because he watched Wolf of Wall Street 38 times ?

Ghosthop probably wants to call his cuz /uncle/aunt dumb asses to their faces but doesn't want to create WW3 in his family. The myopia of someone who thinks they're attending a for prof med school will end up in a orthopedic surgery residency is flat out stupid.

Not dumbasses, but ignorant to the rules of the game they're playing. Our parents generation were the first to get 'white collar' jobs after a long line of working-class people from Appalachia.

We'll see how my kids do in twenty years before I start trying to give advice to anyone but strangers on the internet.

It’s odd. Med school kids want to save the world. God bless them. And they should get paid. And their parents will be so proud. lol.

But NP vs MD. pay compared to the lost income and debt. And stress levels. Fuck the MD or DO route.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Not dumbasses, but ignorant to the rules of the game they're playing. Our parents generation were the first to get 'white collar' jobs after a long line of working-class people from Appalachia.

We'll see how my kids do in twenty years before I start trying to give advice to anyone but strangers on the internet.
    Sorry , was not trying to offend anyone in your family.

Can we get back to discussing careers involving animal ejaculation? I’ve watched dog breeders do that.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Can we get back to discussing careers involving animal ejaculation? I’ve watched dog breeders do that.
    I never thought giving a handy to a horse would be my life goal.
    . . .

I never thought giving a handy to a horse would be my life goal.
    If you pay me enough I'll double hand some Vaseline

My Uncle Oswald by Roald Dahl is a good read that kinda speaks to this career.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

OK I think this thread has made it clear.. SYF needs to go to med school but avoid the ER gig long term. Tons of old farts in this thread who need therapy and a good psychologist..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Has SUF checked back in since the experts took over?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Has SUF checked back in since the experts took over?
    Kid wised up and is skiing and chasing tail rather than wasting his life on a ski forum full of geriatric fucks

Kid wised up and is skiing and chasing tail rather than wasting his life on a ski forum full of geriatric fucks
    Good for him.

And some of us are still products of the 80s/90s and not from the last ice age like Wooley.
    I still call it The Jake.

With hard-ons for doctors instead of horse hard-ons.

Sounds like you have dumb asses in your family.
    Sorry , was not trying to offend anyone in your family.
    Except all his dumb ass relatives , right?

He's jerking to Jane Austen.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    He's jerking to Jane Austen.
    It never occurred to me to jerk to Jane Austen.

But I’ll try.

Will report back in 24 hours. Or more. Once I get a Jane Austin woodie.
    . . .

But I’ll try.

It's a new pron name you boomer.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    My 23 yo daughter is working herself to death at a Boston charter school. The school offers little support dealing w unbelievably challenging kids, pay is lousy, and the retirement is not portable. She has a superior education and is capable of doing anything she puts her mind to. We're hoping she gets some sp ed experience (has masters in sp ed/fluent in spanish) and goes on to law school to become an advocate for kids.

Throw in covid and it's a complete shitshow.
    If any young person is going to teach it better be in a public school system with a solid DB plan. I have lots of friends in NY retiring at 55 from teaching.

Big city school districts are a whole separate world from suburban districts. The challenges and burdens of inner city teachers are far greater than suburban teachers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

But I’ll try.

Hahaha. Well you could certainly do worse than Keira Knightly and Rosamund Pike for inspiration. Both in 2005's Pride & Prejudice film adapatation, but then again so was Judi Dench sooo.... whatever floats your boat.

You called?

Judi Dench.

I’m feeling the blood flow to the nether regions.

What a dame.
    . . .