Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Collegge

If you hate what you are doing, do something else.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    How did they write down what the instructor said if they weren't listening?
    They were transcribing, not absorbing

Think about your end goal and don't do anything that doesn't help you get there.

That includes becoming a master of the female anatomy. Don't waste more than 20 minutes on someone you know you aren't going to bang.

As much as it pains me to say it, get out of college as fast as you can with a concentrated vision of how you would like to spend the rest of your life from day 1.

College is a big time suck of doing things that don't matter. Get a real job to have cash while you are in school, and then treat school as a job as well. And... environmental law is a joke. Don't go to VLS, and just rock the LSAT (start studying every week now) and go to a real school. Consider pushing papers in a local law firm from the get go to make some cash and see if that's what you really want to do. Snow science is cool and all, but it's pretty limiting intellectually, and not a very good career prospect.

And to echo, professors make really good friends, especially if you are a bit older. Friends, and future colleagues, not just some magic route to better grades.

Also, learning another language is a huge bonus.

Highlighters are ghey, think macro, not micro.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Take notes.

Even if you never read them.

Whoever said attending class but borrowing notes is great is giving bad advice.

Scientifically proven.
    Writing notes by hand while seeing a lecture (I’m sure zoom even works) reinforces memory.

I could google that shit, but I’ve seen multiple studies. And I know it works firsthand.

And I think it works better writing with a pen. (Havent seen any studies about typing notes)
    Some shit about lymbic brain stem cross linking neuron pathway shit.

And yet, I can’t get my kids to do it.

So scribble notes. Just the main points.

Even if you don’t read them.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Take notes.

Scientifically proven.
    Writing notes by hand while seeing a lecture (I’m sure zoom even works) reinforces memory.

I could google that shit, but I’ve seen multiple studies. And I know it works firsthand.

And I think it works better writing with a pen. (Havent seen any studies about typing notes)

I’m usually pretty good about taking detailed notes, though most of the notes I’ve taken over the last two years have been copied off powerpoints rather than lectures so I’ll have to get used to that.
    IME typing notes doesn’t have the same effect.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Take notes.

Scientifically proven.

You are the epitome of learned.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I got a D in Ice Climbing.

Twice.

Fucking embarrassing (insert Coach kicking trash can here..)

Amazing trips and learning, but I didn't care to do the follow-up.

Write the paper.

Just write the fkn paper.

There are some sage nuggets of advice in here for sure. On the other hand it's pretty funny to hear people think the real trick to college is to go to your classes, take notes, and pay attention. Ah, tell me more, Sensei....

Also I echo the sentiments that, for me, grad school was way easier. I attribute it to a combination of maturity and motivation, both of which it seems you are ahead on compared to 18yo me. Best of luck young padawan!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    What was your job situation at the time?
    In the Army. Deployed all the time. Wrote term papers in internet cafes in Europe and the Mideast (and Fort Polk, LA). Did most of my reading on USAF transport planes going to places that nobody vacations in. Also had 4 kids so when I wasn't deployed I had to work around soccer and baseball schedules. Didn't sleep much but again, the life experiences made it so easy...it was just a time suck. As we used to say, you can sleep when you're dead. I knew that I wanted to get away from the military thing after I retired (said no thanks to Blackwater and several other similar operations) so I needed an education in something other than military ops. People say an MBA is difficult. I didn't find it to be and I'm a certified dumbass.

All I'll add is to be proactive in following your interests and setting your path education-wise. I'm by nature a go with the flow type person, and traditional K-12 systems reward this (show up, do the work = succeed). This works fine in college too, but it's unique environment with more opportunities to do a cool independent study project, figure out a specific area of interest in your field, etc. by having a conversation with a prof about what you're psyched on. Bonus is that it'll help you naturally build relationships with profs, which is a must for grad school.

In my case I did fine and enjoyed my college experience immensely, but I regret staying on the path of least resistance when making a few minor lane changes would've set me up for the type of work I'm most interested in much earlier.

Oh, and less time on TGR with the dentists, more time in real life with the babes of Bozeman.
    Last edited by North; 08-19-2021 at 06:04 PM.

College

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    There are some sage nuggets of advice in here for sure. On the other hand it's pretty funny to hear people think the real trick to college is to go to your classes, take notes, and pay attention. Ah, tell me more, Sensei....
    See what you’re sayin. Still, Nobody said it was a “trick.” Or, hell, maybe someone did.

Shit is anyone taking notes?

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

College

Stoopid tapatalk no delete double sry.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Never Listen to any advice from makerstelemark. Except maybe on how to defeat ketamine Cowboys and how to spell aluminium.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

If you think about it, most of your time in the resort is spent on the lift. I laminated note cards and kept text books in my ski pack. If you stick to the slow doubles you can get a lot of studying in.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    if ya got time
    you should definitely safety stop, check your head and stretch your legs at clarks point sp
    not far off 90
    nice short hike to a sweet river view and seclusion among the rocks
    stand in the compass
    and reflect upon the path and directions you hope to travel
    in a manner of undaunted courage for an unknown future of your shaping

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

We stayed got to St. Louis last night and stayed there. Coming into KC as we speak. Rapid City was the original goal for the day but with a later start than we would have liked, doesn’t look like that is gonna happen. My mom has certain standards for hotels and is t too keen on staying in the middle of nowhere in SD so I did some route finding and figured taking 70 to Denver and staying there tonight is a viable option, leaving roughly 10 hrs tomorrow. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    We got to St. Louis last night and stayed there. Coming into KC as we speak. Rapid City was the original goal for the day but with a later start than we would have liked, doesn’t look like that is gonna happen. My mom has certain standards for hotels and isn’t too keen on staying in the middle of nowhere in SD so I did some route finding and figured taking 70 to Denver and staying there tonight is a viable option, leaving roughly 10 hrs and a more scenic drive on 25 tomorrow. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Are you having a stroke, SUF?

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    <snip> My mom has certain standards for hotels and is t too keen on staying in the middle of nowhere in SD so I did some route finding and figured taking 70 to Denver and staying there tonight is a viable option, leaving roughly 10 hrs tomorrow. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    I wouldn't suggest going THAT far out of the way... besides - you're gonna run into traffic in Denver. Any day of the week at any time of the day.

And tell your mom to HTFU.

It's a shame he's missing Sturgis by a week or so. In the future try to swing thru SD on Tues during Bike Week. It's Topless Tuesdays.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Hey, SUF - Harry is in the hospital in Bozeman. Maggots have started a kickstarter to send a nurse strip-o-gram to his room. You ready to take on your first college job?
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I wouldn't suggest going THAT far out of the way... besides - you're gonna run into traffic in Denver. Any day of the week at any time of the day.

And tell your mom to HTFU.

Welp, we just got on 70 so I guess we’ll have to deal with the traffic. It only adds an hour compared to 90 according to google maps so not a huge deal. And I agree, she does need to htfu.

Nothing between Sioux Falls, SD and Rapid City, SD (maybe Chamberlain, but I'd rate those hotels as 3s). Rapid City this time of the year might be hard to get a room, so research ahead.

Without looking at a map, Maybe i80 to Ogallala, NE? Nothing fancy, but the standard interstate hotel rooms there (Hampton Inn, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    Hey, SUF - Harry is in the hospital in Bozeman. Maggots have started a kickstarter to send a nurse strip-o-gram to his room. You ready to take on your first college job?
    I would be honored.