Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Collegge

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    Whatever your vice, moderation in moderation. I personally know more smart folks that smoked their way to dropping out than drank their way to dropping out. But I know some of both.
    i will probably smoke less than anything and only on the weekends, probably while skiing.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    i will probably smoke less than anything and only on the weekends, probably while skiing.
    Smart plan but it’s your first year of college so I’d say no promises. Settle in a bit first.
    Enjoy yourself immensely during these next years, it’s an amazing time in life.
    Just don’t lose fact of why you’re there.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Yeah, that sounds like some kind of made up fairy tale. Money in your pocket the next day, pfft.

yeah!

fairy tale.... more like "where the did all this money come from? fuck, what the fuck did i do last night?"

Speaking of digging holes, consider taking Avy I and Avy II classes. Like minded people, with a group goal of sorts. These will be the more motivated and inquisitive folks you will meet, it is (generally) self selecting. The losers are not usually drawn to this.
    You will meet potential touring partners as well.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Kolluge is what you make of it, you won't want to hear any advice from me about how to get through six years of it.

The snow sciences sounds like an interesting program, avalanche karl is an amazing resource and his daughter will probably be running the show up at BB one day.

Enjoy your time, it will go by in a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Ski weekdays if you can!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1629334025.843861.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	382799

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

1. University of BB ain't what it used to be but still some of the best skiing close to a small US city that I can think of.
    2. Don't try and take a season off to Patrol, you will be fucked, trust me on that one.
    3. Snow Science is interesting as hell but it doesn't pay for shit.
    4. Let me know if you want to do some mellow touring.

ETA: Make sure your fucking boots fit.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

College is amazing, it’s kind of like a vacation that you think will never end and then just like that it’s back to the real world. You’re in good shape coming in older. The amount of distractions are limitless and i think an 18 year old is less prepared to handle that.

What I suggest to be successful is to keep a schedule for yourself that can be used for homework, naps, working out, whatever. But you keep that time for yourself as a means to stay focused. Obviously you’ll find out what works for you but being successful takes discipline and even if the results are there through cramming, well, you’ll be doing some of that anyway. But I promise you won’t remember almost any of the time you might waste playing video games so better to just pencil in a few extra hours to make sure the grades stay up, the serendipitous chat with the cute chick in the library when you were there to study, or whatever else.

I’d say this is more of a life skill than college, but the two really don’t have to be so separate unless you’re going to try being a lesbian for four years.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    1. University of BB ain't what it used to be but still some of the best skiing close to a small US city that I can think of.
    2. Don't try and take a season off to Patrol, you will be fucked, trust me on that one.
    3. Snow Science is interesting as hell but it doesn't pay for shit.
    4. Let me know if you want to do some mellow touring.

ETA: Make sure your fucking boots fit.
    I have been absolved of any desire to patrol, both now and in the future.
    As of now, I think i wanna go into environmental law.
    Would love to get some mellow laps in when some snow hits the ground. Finally got my boots dialed. I had a flashback to the foot pain I felt that day. I will never not go to a boot fitter again.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Ha, can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Ha, can relate.
    Yup, don’t do that.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Have fun but bang it out in four years. Don’t miss classes and study every afternoon for 2 hours. NBD....just meet your bro’s at happy hour at 6 pm instead for 4 pm. You can drink and chase tail every night in college and have a great GPA....with just a tiny bit of discipline. Once you have a real gig you will look back and laugh at how much free time you had in college every day. Some college profs are actually good folks ....if you find one or two that you like, and are given the opportunity, get to know them. You can learn more from them than just what they are throwing up on a whiteboard during class. Once your out....don’t hang out at the local hill for your ski bum year. Sure it feels good cuz your the local ripper but go big. A year in Cham AK or Jackson will have lifelong connections.
    I was the dude who took the easy course loads. I had the ridiculously lucrative bartender gig. I took a semester off to ski full time. I was the five and half year undergrad. It was fucking great, but...... To be honest by year 5 I felt like the dude who graduated high school but still hung at high school parties.....albeit, as the bartender, but I was over it. Don’t be that guy.
    Everything above is bullshit opinion but good luck anyway . Sounds like you already have your shit together.

There is some seriously good advice in this thread that I wish I had heard and had the wisdom to listen to as an 18 year old freshman. Have a great time SUF and keep the mags posted as you adventure around.

I still call it The Jake.

I recently read an artical that talked about the worst colleges in America, how much a 4 yr program cost and how bad their grad rate was but maybe people do a couple years, get a life and got on to the real uni ed ?

Me i didnt have the stomach for more school and they wouldn't let me in anyhow so while the rest of you college boys were balling frat girls or boys i was out there working
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Have fun but bang it out in four years. Don’t miss classes and study every afternoon for 2 hours. NBD....just meet your bro’s at happy hour at 6 pm instead for 4 pm. You can drink and chase tail every night in college and have a great GPA....with just a tiny bit of discipline. Once you have a real gig you will look back and laugh at how much free time you had in college every day. Some college profs are actually good folks ....if you find one or two that you like, and are given the opportunity, get to know them. You can learn more from them than just what they are throwing up on a whiteboard during class. Once your out....don’t hang out at the local hill for your ski bum year. Sure it feels good cuz your the local ripper but go big. A year in Cham AK or Jackson will have lifelong connections.
    I was the dude who took the easy course loads. I had the ridiculously lucrative bartender gig. I took a semester off to ski full time. I was the five and half year undergrad. It was fucking great, but...... To be honest by year 5 I felt like the dude who graduated high school but still hung at high school parties.....albeit, as the bartender, but I was over it. Don’t be that guy.
    Everything above is bullshit opinion but good luck anyway . Sounds like you already have your shit together.

I've got some buddies on the five (or six, maybe seven for some) year plan. they think it is hilarious.
    really hoping to bang undergrad out in 4 and then take a year or two before postgrad to go to go to Yurp or something.

from someone with ahem 12 years of college experience.
    show up on time and sit in the front - you are paying for it, get something out of it, as mentioned previously bang it out asap
    i generally did best when i had a full class schedule and was working pt - didn't allow for to much partying, was more interested in going outside if i had free time (except for when i rowed crew, then i just took naps)
    take a couple of classes outside your norm - for some reason i have fond memories of "dynamics of dinosaurs"

i did get a phd out of those 12 years

I wish I took more art history classes.

My nephew and his buddy are leaving this Friday for Bozeman to attend MSU. I’ve never been, but look forward to visiting and skiing with him. It sounds like an amazing place. From my experience, grades and time management are important, but so are relationships, not taking life too seriously, and grand experiences born out of irresponsible enthusiasm. Skipping class to extend road trips to Roger’s Pass, overly ambitious climbing objectives/epics, dirt bagging, a hilarious and ambitious friend group to adventure with both academically and in the mountains. If you’re motivated, hard working, thoughtful, and a little lucky, it should all work out eventually. Have fun SUF

By the time i had retired very early and started hitting the grad school parties/out door fun people were asking me if i was the prof

I had no clue wtf these people were defending but it wasn't that hard to figure out, if you ask someone how the masters is going they will pour their soul out to you cuz the masters is never going well s

o they will carry the conversation and you can just nod and offer condolences
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Good luck! I spent most of my 6 years at MSU sober. It was great.

My ironic advice is to not listen to old random nostalgic guys about what to do in college, except when they say to realize in the moment that while it may seem shitty towards the end with all the tests and pressure and burnout, the rat race is much worse.

Weird flex in a college advice thread XXXer.

Just sayin.
    I still call it The Jake.

I would suggest getting laid a lot.

College

Might as join the fucking peace corp